The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
Not really but it isnt hard. You just phone SF. Phone the uni you've firmed and ask to be released, and then wait. They'll tell you what to do :yes:

Ok thank you ever so much!
If you are getting worried that you still haven't heard back yet even though it is nearing the end of the month, I only got my offer on the last day of March last year. Still a couple more days guys! Hang in there!

Congratulations to those who have received offers. Exciting times ahead!

Equally I sympathise with those who may have heard disappointing news.

I strongly recommend you to not give up hope and doubt your abilities. If medicine is what you really want to do, then reapply next year. For now, focus on getting your grades if you haven't already.

I would recommend using this summer to do more voluntary work and work shadowing to really strengthen your personal statement for next year.

If you need any support or advice, you are more than welcome to drop me a message on student room.

Also please check out http://sotonmedsoc.com/wamsoc/

I am part of the Widening Access to Medicine Society at Southampton University and we run an e-mentoring scheme to help students with their applications. Please do get in touch.
Anybody on here still not heard back from Admissions??
offer!!!!!
Original post by DBoyH2O
offer!!!!!

WELL DONE!!! The wait was worth it, huh?? 😁😁
Original post by Fatemaaa97
WELL DONE!!! The wait was worth it, huh?? 😁😁

Yep defo, do you know many days later it takes for the email to come through??
Original post by DBoyH2O
offer!!!!!

Congrats!

Shouldn't be long to hear from them :nah:
Reply 1287
I hope someone will be willing to answer my questions

- I've been looking at accomodation and some contracts are 40 weeks long while others are 38 weeks long. Does the 38 week one exclude the Easter holiday? Or is it just that you move out 2 weeks earlier at the end of the year?

- On student finance, I can't seem to find the course name. Is there a specific name for the course that I have no knowledge of?

- I have a car and it seems as though I will not be able to get a permit as a student. Are there any random roads in southampton that have no restrictrions where I can just park my car? In London there are but I dont know whether Southampton as a city is hugely different or not so I just want to be certain. I dont mind just walking to wherever the car is every time I want to come back to London because it would be a waste of money travelling around Southampton with a car seeing as I'll be getting a free bus pass anyway. It doesn't have to be near any accomodation areas. Just a road where I can park for free without getting fined.

- I am a gap year student and I have all my certificates already. When I got my offer it said that I would have to send in my certificates for proof. Which email address am I supposed to send them to?

- Do the ensuite rooms look better in Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane? (This is the only deciding factor I have left for the order of my choices). Also is it worth the money to opt for a category 2 room in Wessex Lane/Glen Eyre? What are the differences between the categories?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Yuri3
I hope someone will be willing to answer my questions

- I've been looking at accomodation and some contracts are 40 weeks long while others are 38 weeks long. Does the 38 week one exclude the Easter holiday? Or is it just that you move out 2 weeks earlier at the end of the year?

- On student finance, I can't seem to find the course name. Is there a specific name for the course that I have no knowledge of?

- I have a car and it seems as though I will not be able to get a permit as a student. Are there any random roads in southampton that have no restrictrions where I can just park my car? In London there are but I dont know whether Southampton as a city is hugely different or not so I just want to be certain. I dont mind just walking to wherever the car is every time I want to come back to London because it would be a waste of money travelling around Southampton with a car seeing as I'll be getting a free bus pass anyway. It doesn't have to be near any accomodation areas. Just a road where I can park for free without getting fined.

- I am a gap year student and I have all my certificates already. When I got my offer it said that I would have to send in my certificates for proof. Which email address am I supposed to send them to?

- Do the ensuite rooms look better in Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane? (This is the only deciding factor I have left for the order of my choices). Also is it worth the money to opt for a category 2 room in Wessex Lane/Glen Eyre? What are the differences between the categories?

Thank you :smile:

Hey!

Congratulations on the offer and I hope my answers are helpful:

1. 38 weeks e.g. Mayflower does not exclude Easter rather as you pointed out, you move out earlier than the 1st July deadline for the rest of the accomodations.

2. For whatever reason medicine isn't coming up on SF. I tried to renew mine and it failed. What you can do is put the name in manually but your application won't be approved until the university sorts it out on their end so it's not your fault.

3. In halls, as you said, you get a free bus pass and unless you've got a disability or medical reason that requires you to desperately need car travel- it's not worth it at all. Buses are there at all halls and go to the university. You need max two buses to the hospital (occasionally needed for BM6 but not enough to warrant having a car)

4.I would send it to the admissions office::
Hi guys.. I'm also a gap year student and have an offer.

I just wanted to ask current bm6ers how you guys have adjusted to life in Southampton. I'm from Manchester which is pretty big and also quite far obviously. Would I be able to come home randomly on weekends or would it not be feasible? lol

Random questions I know. Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Yasmin49
Hi guys.. I'm also a gap year student and have an offer.

I just wanted to ask current bm6ers how you guys have adjusted to life in Southampton. I'm from Manchester which is pretty big and also quite far obviously. Would I be able to come home randomly on weekends or would it not be feasible? lol

Random questions I know. Thanks!

Long weekends and just over an hour from London, plus a small cheapish airport means lots of possibilities for going home.
Hi guys,

Just wondering, if I said in my UCAS application that I am going to resit my fourth AS ( i have it as both achieved in 2015 and predicted in 2016), do I still need to do it if it's not part of my offer? And if I don't do it, do I need to inform UCAS or the University? I wanted to do it because I applied to Keele as well and they we asking for a B in the fourth AS but I didn't get an offer so I don't need to resit it anymore.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Annyisa
Hi guys,

Just wondering, if I said in my UCAS application that I am going to resit my fourth AS ( i have it as both achieved in 2015 and predicted in 2016), do I still need to do it if it's not part of my offer? And if I don't do it, do I need to inform UCAS or the University? I wanted to do it because I applied to Keele as well and they we asking for a B in the fourth AS but I didn't get an offer so I don't need to resit it anymore.

I did the same. If you've already met the offer and it doesn't include your last a level I am pretty sure you don't need to do anything.

Give them an email to check but if it isn't part of your offer it shouldn't matter as it isn't a requirement to you starting.
Hey Guys, this came on the ucas regarding my offer:

Please send copies of your GCSE/IGCSE qualifications direct to the Faculty. Database Consent Form, Health Questionnaire & Certificates, apart from those not yet sat, should be returned to us by 1 June 2016. Failure to meet this deadline may result in your place not being confirmed.

Which email address is the Faculty? Is it [email protected]?
[QUOTE="musictutor;64028003"]Hey Guys, this came on the ucas regarding my offer:

Please send copies of your GCSE/IGCSE qualifications direct to the Faculty. Database Consent Form, Health Questionnaire & Certificates, apart from those not yet sat, should be returned to us by 1 June 2016. Failure to meet this deadline may result in your place not being confirmed.

Which email address is the Faculty? Is it [email protected]?[/QUOTE

No you want the faculty of medicine's email specifically. I'll PM you because it won't let me post it on the thread for whatever reason.
[QUOTE="Mel1312;64028289"]
Original post by musictutor
Hey Guys, this came on the ucas regarding my offer:

Which email address is the Faculty? Is it [email protected]?[/QUOTE

No you want the faculty of medicine's email specifically. I'll PM you because it won't let me post it on the thread for whatever reason.

Do we only send our GCSE/IGCSE certificates, or do we send our AS certificates aswell?
I am the only one who is unsure of this database consent form which needs to be filled out and sent to the faculty??
Original post by DBoyH2O
I am the only one who is unsure of this database consent form which needs to be filled out and sent to the faculty??

The link to the consent form should be in the email that Southampton sent you after you got your offer. Just print it off, fill it in, scan and send.

Posted from TSR Mobile
where abouts in the email is it lool, dont know if i am going blind but cant find it sorry ????
Im trying to email them my documents but it keeps saying that its failing to send. Ive tried the following email addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Maybe its because they are not in the office or something. I'll probably try again tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending