The Student Room Group

sequences help

can someone pls explain part d???? what i did was find the sum of the first 3 (1+(-1/2) +1) then multiplied it by 100/3 and i got an answer of 50 . why is this wrong?

plus this is not arithmetic so how did it use that rule
Reply 1
Write out the first 4 terms, notice anything?
The sequence repeats every 4 terms, 1,-1/2,1,-1/2 ...
If we are summing the first 100 terms then how many lots of this sequence is there?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pondsteps
can someone pls explain part d???? what i did was find the sum of the first 3 (1+(-1/2) +1) then multiplied it by 100/3 and i got an answer of 50 . why is this wrong?

the first 3 terms as they are in the sequence don't repeat i.e in this sequence the first 3 terms goes 1, -0.5, 1

when you add the first 3 terms multiply by 100 then divide by 3 you are assuming the sequence goes like this

[1,-0.5,1,][1,-0.5,1] etc etc
because you've assumed the firts 3 terms repeat one after another, but they don't

an arithmetic sequence is one where the difference between the terms is constant

There should either be a general pattern in terms or it may be an arithmetic

What is
Unparseable latex formula:

X_1, X_2 & X_3

?
Original post by EqualRights

What is

X_1, X_2 & X_3

?

fist term second term and third term
Original post by thefatone
the first 3 terms as they are in the sequence don't repeat i.e in this sequence the first 3 terms goes 1, -0.5, 1

when you add the first 3 terms multiply by 100 then divide by 3 you are assuming the sequence goes like this

[1,-0.5,1,][1,-0.5,1] etc etc
because you've assumed the firts 3 terms repeat one after another, but they don't

an arithmetic sequence is one where the difference between the terms is constant

ohhh... thank u sooo much!! xxx
Original post by thefatone
fist term second term and third term

no omg, I meant as in values haha :biggrin:

What is

X_1, X_2 & X_3

?

okay so i can use the rule 1/2 (n) (a+L) even if the sequence is not arithmetic??
Reply 8
okay so i can use the rule 1/2 (n) (a+L) even if the sequence is not arithmetic??

No. That only works for arithmetic sequences.
Original post by B_9710
No. That only works for arithmetic sequences.

umm but the above example is not arithmetic ... and i thought it was only for arithmetic
Reply 10
umm but the above example is not arithmetic ... and i thought it was only for arithmetic

Exactly, so you can't use that formula.
Original post by Zacken
Exactly, so you can't use that formula.

lol but the markscheme said accept and it worked 😁
Reply 12
The first 2 terms sum to 1/2 and there are 50 of them so the full sum is 25.
Reply 13
lol but the markscheme said accept and it worked 😁

Yes, the original sequence isn't arithmetic but you can sum every two terms and treat it as an arithmetic (common difference 0) sequence with 50 terms.
no omg, I meant as in values haha :biggrin:

well first term is given as 1 then use the reccurence relation to fin the next 2 ^-^

Quick Reply

Latest