The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benchking
das **** imo

Why? Admittedly I actually had classes rather than completely self teaching, but all our teachers ever did was read out from the textbook and set exercises from them. The textbooks explain everything you need to know much better than just looking at markschemes, which is important for those odd unusual questions that come up every now and then in exams, plus actually understanding the subject rather that just learning to pass the exam.

Once we'd completed the textbook, I did all the past papers, and as a result consistently achieved 95%+ in almost every module (possibly one exception, I think in further maths decision module I got like 90% ot something), with full marks in a lot of them. If you just learn to pass the exam and exclusively use past papers, I doubt you'd get more than 90% average. You have to actually understand the maths too, and that comes from dedicating the time and effort into studying from a textbook.
Reply 21
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Why? Admittedly I actually had classes rather than completely self teaching, but all our teachers ever did was read out from the textbook and set exercises from them. The textbooks explain everything you need to know much better than just looking at markschemes, which is important for those odd unusual questions that come up every now and then in exams, plus actually understanding the subject rather that just learning to pass the exam.

Once we'd completed the textbook, I did all the past papers, and as a result consistently achieved 95%+ in almost every module (possibly one exception, I think in further maths decision module I got like 90% ot something), with full marks in a lot of them. If you just learn to pass the exam and exclusively use past papers, I doubt you'd get more than 90% average. You have to actually understand the maths too, and that comes from dedicating the time and effort into studying from a textbook.

Do you think you actually understand maths by reading exam board textbooks? Pick up a uni first year level textbook and see how shallow your understanding of maths is.
Reply 22
Original post by benchking
do you do maths tutoring? I pay big.

Well, yes, I do. Why do you think you need tutoring?
I agree with those who recommended Examsolutions. He's a lifesaver when my teachers are unable to make things clear:colonhash:
Reply 24
Original post by Zacken
Well, yes, I do. Why do you think you need tutoring?

because i suck at trig
Original post by Zacken
Do you think you actually understand maths by reading exam board textbooks? Pick up a uni first year level textbook and see how shallow your understanding of maths is.

You gain enough understanding to appreciate the maths and answer any question the examiners throw at you. Plus if you understand the devivations of equations and different examples of how they are used they're a lot easier to remember.

But yes, I agree that at university they go into so much more depth and complexity in maths. But if you only use exam papers and never look at an A level textbook you'll arrive at uni with NO appreciation of that whatsoever.
Reply 26
Original post by dragonkeeper999
You gain enough understanding to appreciate the maths and answer any question the examiners throw at you. Plus if you understand the devivations of equations and different examples of how they are used they're a lot easier to remember.

Debatable. I appreciate the maths at A-Level a lot more given that I know some basic undergrad material. Riemann sums, discontinuities, proper functions, some set theory and analysis really help get you understanding why things work in a way that no A-Level textbook bothers explaining.

Give 11dxx2\int_{-1}^{1} \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{x^2} to an A-Level student and see what happens.

If you only use exam papers and never look at an A level textbook.

FWIF, I didn't use any A-Level textbooks for my exams and did fine.
Reply 27
There is no hard maths in A-level other than possibly M4 and M5 (maybe FP3) - it's only a matter of regurgitating methods off of past papers.

I've self taught all 13 modules other than C1, C2 and S2 because I actually attended those classes at my sixth form :lol: I'm doing alright! Unlike what others have said, the textbook is an invaluable resource and you should definitely get your hands on it.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
There is no hard maths in A-level other than possibly M4 and M5 (maybe FP3) - it's only a matter of regurgitating methods off of past papers.

No offence buddy. I find it extremely funny when people make statements like this when your results day sheet doesn't suggest the same...

165 in C12 would suggest you did find the maths hard lol. Perhaps, you were not confident with Maths back then? But I even question that as 86 ums in FP1 is quite disappointing for someone who declares "There is no hard maths in A-level"
Reply 29
Original post by EqualRights
No offence buddy. I find it extremely funny when people make statements like this when your results day sheet doesn't suggest the same...

165 in C12 would suggest you did find the maths hard lol. Perhaps, you were not confident with Maths back then? But I even question that as 86 ums in FP1 is quite disappointing for someone who declares "There is no hard maths in A-level"

Believe me, showing up for the exam itself was extremely difficult for me given the circumstances I was in. Any other time and it would have been a lot better.

As for F1 - I had been getting 95+ UMS in the papers I did but the real thing threw me off with one nasty conics section which plummeted my entire grade due to the lack of any scaling. Even Zacken got 91, which should tell you that it wasn't the kindest of F1 papers.

I'm guessing you're duck though.
Reply 30
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

I'm guessing you're duck though.

Yep, no point replying to him.
Original post by Zacken
Yep, no point replying to him.

How do you figure?

A quick check up on my ip by mods wouId show that I'm not that duck dude
Reply 32
Original post by EqualRights
How do you figure?

A quick check up on my ip by mods wouId show that I'm not that duck dude

I don't think you know how IP addresses work... they're dynamic.
Original post by Zacken
I don't think you know how IP addresses work... they're dynamic.

Nope, I don't think you understand how IP addresses work. I'm sure the TSR moderators can check my direct computer network IP. Most sites such as these can...

That was verified to me when Duck commented on one of your threads saying that he was IP banned and had to change his IP to get onto this site...

Latest