The Student Room Group

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
Done! really enjoyed making it. I will not be doing it for a long time. It was stressful, lots of multi tasking/time keeping and my kitchen is now a real mess.

So worth it though.

Hahahah that sounds really stressful! Do you have a picture of how it turned out?
Hi guys, tonights dish Chicken Tikka Masala is done, check the first post :smile:

Looks yummy :drool: how much spices do you put in your curry?

Usually i would put in 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, cumin seeds,turmeric, curry powder and 1 teaspoon of chilli powder and usually get crushed ready made ginger and garlic from the shop instead of chopping it and put a teaspoon of that.
Original post by Queen Cersei
Hahahah that sounds really stressful! Do you have a picture of how it turned out?

Yes its linked on page 1, also page 6
Yes its linked on page 1, also page 6

I just took a look and WOW (I actually said that out loud) Where did you learn to make a dish look like that? It looks like something you would get in a Michelin star restaurant!
Original post by jenigma
Any nice dishes involving mince meat other than the usual lasagna/meatballs?

Yeah, what mince? I take it you mean beef? I use pork and turkey mince as well. I'll post it up later. However, I also have a meatball dish that's really tasty so I'll show you that too.

Original post by chikane
Looks yummy :drool: how much spices do you put in your curry?

Usually i would put in 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, cumin seeds,turmeric, curry powder and 1 teaspoon of chilli powder and usually get crushed ready made ginger and garlic from the shop instead of chopping it and put a teaspoon of that.

However much I'm feeling! I don't usually measure, but I don't make curries often. I don't use cumin seeds, I'd just buy it ground already. I might mix in whole cumin seeds with pilau rice or cardamon pods.
Yeah, what mince? I take it you mean beef? I use pork and turkey mince as well. I'll post it up later. However, I also have a meatball dish that's really tasty so I'll show you that too.

Beef mainly yeah! I do love my meatballs, I feel like I've finally perfected the taste and colour, but the only thing is they fall apart sometimes which is really annoying.
Original post by jenigma
x

Original post by Tabstercat
x

Aw flirting on my thread! Hezzlington Cooking Blog is a place of food, warmth and love.

You guys should date. I'll make a dessert for you to share.
Original post by jenigma
Beef mainly yeah! I do love my meatballs, I feel like I've finally perfected the taste and colour, but the only thing is they fall apart sometimes which is really annoying.

How do you cook your meatballs?
Aw flirting on my thread! Hezzlington Cooking Blog is a place of food, warmth and love.

You guys should date. I'll make a dessert for you to share.

Pls make one tonight and dedicate it
Original post by Angry cucumber
Pls make one tonight and dedicate it

I got one planned but it's going to take me about 18 hours of prep. I'll save that one for their honeymoon.
Original post by Tabstercat
I doubt I'm the first, probably a regular occurrence for you.

:sleep: shoo shoo

How do you cook your meatballs?

The whole recipe?

I fry them for a bit on each side before putting them in the oven, which is when it falls apart.
I got one planned but it's going to take me about 18 hours of prep. I'll save that one for their honeymoon.

I would actually hire you to make my wedding cake
Original post by jenigma
I would actually hire you to make my wedding cake

I can't actually make cakes! It's not really my thing.

What I have planned is much more fun :colone:
I can't actually make cakes! It's not really my thing.

What I have planned is much more fun :colone:

18 hours of prep? I look forward to it!
Original post by jenigma
18 hours of prep? I look forward to it!

what heat do you cook your meatballs in the oven at?
what heat do you cook your meatballs in the oven at?

They fall apart in the frying bit btw. And about 180-200 degrees
Original post by jenigma
They fall apart in the frying bit btw. And about 180-200 degrees

Ahh I thought so, I was very confused as to why they'd break apart in the oven.

The only thing I can suggest is to make them a little bit smaller, and when rolling them, REALLLYY combine the meat up. Mash it around, flatten it, beat the crap out of it, then form them into balls and pop them in the fridge for a few hours to help firm the meat up.

Mine break apart slightly but they're still whole meatballs, but I like that rough texture.
Ahh I thought so, I was very confused as to why they'd break apart in the oven.

The only thing I can suggest is to make them a little bit smaller, and when rolling them, REALLLYY combine the meat up. Mash it around, flatten it, beat the crap out of it, then form them into balls and pop them in the fridge for a few hours to help firm the meat up.

Mine break apart slightly but they're still whole meatballs, but I like that rough texture.

Oh I've been doing it wrong all along then! I thought there was such a thing as 'overworking the meat' so I've always tried to do it gently
Original post by jenigma
Oh I've been doing it wrong all along then! I thought there was such a thing as 'overworking the meat' so I've always tried to do it gently

I like mine rough and imperfect because of what I cook mine with. I don't eat pasta that much, so I don't have spag + meatballs.

My meatballs have lots of spices in them and I make a spicy tomato sauce and serve with eggs on top. It's a Moroccan style dish, so the crumbly, rough texture I prefer, so I don't put them in fridge myself.
Original post by jenigma

You are completely right, overworking is a thing and will make the meat tough and dense. What ingredients do you use in them?
Anything you add like onion needs to be very finely chopped, large bits stop the meat binding.
Also make sure you season well, as well as flavour salt helps to bind the proteins in the meat together.

Quick Reply

Latest