The Student Room Group

I think i F'ed up.. advice?

I have been offered a place on a biomedical masters starting sept this year. Conditions are that i have a 2.2(hons) which until this week i was confident of. I am currently averaging a decent 2.1; 66% if my calculations are correct..But i have had a bloody disaster with my dissertation! Basically i have submitted it at just over half the suggested word count! Im now panicking that im going to fail. The content was fairly decent i think, so im hoping it could pass on qaulity over quantity.. im just clutching at straws...If i was to fail the diss what would my options be? Do i get chance to resubmit for 40% before september? Even if i only get 40 i will still get a 2.2(hons)

If i cant resubmit before september what happens with my degree? Is it just a 2.1 without honours? Is that even a thing? Or do i just get awarded a pass?

So much stress right now :'(
(edited 8 years ago)
If it was decent then they wont fail you. They might be impressed at conciseness and confidence in submitting so far under. What was the suggested word count and how many did you submit? Why did you not know or just didnt do enough? I believe all degrees excep a pass have honours. If you cant resubmit , then get on with the rest. I think it will be fine.
Original post by TooBrief
I have been offered a place on a biomedical masters starting sept this year. Conditions are that i have a 2.2(hons) which until this week i was confident of. I am currently averaging a decent 2.1; 66% if my calculations are correct..But i have had a bloody disaster with my dissertation! Basically i have submitted it at just over half the suggested word count! Im now panicking that im going to fail. The content was fairly decent i think, so im hoping it could pass on quality over quantity.. im just clutching at straws...If i was to fail the diss what would my options be? Do i get chance to resubmit for 40% before september? Even if i only get 40 i will still get a 2.2(hons)

If i cant resubmit before september what happens with my degree? Is it just a 2.1 without honours? Is that even a thing? Or do i just get awarded a pass?

So much stress right now :'(

was your dissertation too brief? :awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
If it was decent then they wont fail you. They might be impressed at conciseness and confidence in submitting so far under. What was the suggested word count and how many did you submit? Why did you not know or just didnt do enough? I believe all degrees excep a pass have honours. If you cant resubmit , then get on with the rest. I think it will be fine.

The word count was 6000, and its a biology degree, so basically a lab report with a big intoduction and discussion. My word count was only about 3600. So more than half but still extremely short.
It is my discussion that was lacking much depth. I think the rest was fairly good. Im a concise writer in general but having slept on it i definitely needed to have done a better job on discussion. Is each section marked seperately then a final mark calculated?
I have no excuse other than i chose poorly distributed modules so i had 2 modules first semester and 4 + the diss this semester.
My lab work didnt finish until late february so had no results to write a discussion on until then and i had 4 module essays to do between then and diss hand in.
The word count was 6000, and its a biology degree, so basically a lab report with a big intoduction and discussion. My word count was only about 3600. So more than half but still extremely short.
It is my discussion that was lacking much depth. I think the rest was fairly good. Im a concise writer in general but having slept on it i definitely needed to have done a better job on discussion. Is each section marked seperately then a final mark calculated?
I have no excuse other than i chose poorly distributed modules so i had 2 modules first semester and 4 + the diss this semester.
My lab work didnt finish until late february so had no results to write a discussion on until then and i had 4 module essays to do between then and diss hand in.

Imo you wil get a low 2:2 for it (notwithsanding I havent seen it!) assuming it was correct and the discussion wasnt twaddle. I still think you will be ok from what youve said.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Imo you wil get a low 2:2 for it (notwithsanding I havent seen it!) assuming it was correct and the discussion wasnt twaddle. I still think you will be ok from what youve said.

God, i hope so. Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Reply 6

To be honest, it depends on your uni. At my uni it doesn't matter if you are under the word count. Why don't you ask your personal tutor rather than TSR.

Im saying it on the basis what you did was correct (labwork etc) and there was nothing technically wrong, just not enough of it. It is a big **** up though.
Reply 8
Original post by 06moca1
To be honest, it depends on your uni. At my uni it doesn't matter if you are under the word count. Why don't you ask your personal tutor rather than TSR.

He is away on a residential this week. I asked here in the hope that anybody else who had submitted substantially under word count and had managed to pass could tell me all is not lost.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
He is away on a residential this week. I asked here in the hope that anybody else who had submitted substantially under word count and had managed to pass could tell me all is not lost.

When I did my diss, we had a maximum word count which we needed written permission to exceed, but the suggested minimum was only for guidance and was just a matter of agreeing it with your supervisor. Science-based topics could involve a large amount of data presentation from experimental results, which didn't contribute to the word count. If you could present a cogent discussion, argument and conclusions in a word count below the guide minimum, this was fine as long as your supervisor was happy.
Precisely he just doesnt want to fail. So if the basics are there you will be fine.
Reply 11
Original post by Klix88
When I did my diss, we had a maximum word count which we needed written permission to exceed, but the suggested minimum was only for guidance and was just a matter of agreeing it with your supervisor. Science-based topics could involve a large amount of data presentation from experimental results, which didn't contribute to the word count. If you could present a cogent discussion, argument and conclusions in a word count below the guide minimum, this was fine as long as your supervisor was happy.

Thanks for your reply. I think i have managed to meet the criteria you outlined here so thats encouraging. fingers crossed.
Thanks for your reply. I think i have managed to meet the criteria you outlined here so thats encouraging. fingers crossed.

At my uni i'm fairly sure they would fail us, if we only put in half the set words, i'm afraid. You should have prioritized your time better!
The word count is 'suggested'. If your dissertation is able to convey the message in what you have written, you'll be OK. I still think it's a bit low but it's not the end of the world.
Generally, if you fail one final year module you can resit the module with your mark capped at 40% (assuming you have no mitigating circumstances). Whether you can do this before September or have to resit the year as a part-time student will be down to your university. Leaving with an ordinary degree is an option someone will take if they don't want to resit with a cap. Degree classifications only apply to honours degree so no, you can't get a 2.1 without honours.

It's typically done on a case by case basis - if you're averaging a good 2.1 bar the dissertation they may be more generous with options than someone who has resat modules every year and is on a 3rd, for example.

Lastly, are you certain the pass mark for individual modules is 40%? At my university it was 35% but 40% for the year's average. That would give you some more leeway/peace of mind.
Reply 15
Original post by macromicro
Generally, if you fail one final year module you can resit the module with your mark capped at 40% (assuming you have no mitigating circumstances). Whether you can do this before September or have to resit the year as a part-time student will be down to your university. Leaving with an ordinary degree is an option someone will take if they don't want to resit with a cap. Degree classifications only apply to honours degree so no, you can't get a 2.1 without honours.

It's typically done on a case by case basis - if you're averaging a good 2.1 bar the dissertation they may be more generous with options than someone who has resat modules every year and is on a 3rd, for example.

Lastly, are you certain the pass mark for individual modules is 40%? At my university it was 35% but 40% for the year's average. That would give you some more leeway/peace of mind.

Thanks for your input. I checked today and the pass mark is 40% but with 39% they will refer it to a panel and the panel decide whether or not to give you a condoned pass. If i get 39% im confident they will pass me; i have passed everything else on first submission so far. *touch wood*.. I'll have to just hope i got 39% at least.
Original post by john2054
At my uni i'm fairly sure they would fail us, if we only put in half the set words, i'm afraid. You should have prioritized your time better!

Hey John you had a haircut.
Looks better.
Reply 17
UPDATE: Dissertation grade came back yesterday and i passed with 53%. Over the moon considering it didnt go as well as planned, still on course for a 2.1.
Original post by thefatone
was your dissertation too brief? :awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Bravo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending