The Student Room Group

The NUS is irrelevant?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neb789
What would you do about the NUS specifically anyway?

Shut that **** show down.
If the NUS ceased to exist what would change? Nothing.

If an organisation doesn't do anything then there's no point it existing.
It should be good. But it's not. It needs to change or get lost.
I don't think reform is possible of the NUS and abolishing it would just give them martyr status

It seems quite clear to me that an alternative student organisation should be formed for the large majority of sensible students who don't sympathise with murderous terrorists or ban anyone who doesn't agree with them from speaking at events.
Original post by a noble chance
I don't think reform is possible of the NUS and abolishing it would just give them martyr status

It seems quite clear to me that an alternative student organisation should be formed for the large majority of sensible students who don't sympathise with murderous terrorists or ban anyone who doesn't agree with them from speaking at events.

I think a military style coup would be a better solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It makes every sense to have a national union for students, but the NUS in its current state is laughable. They see themselves as progressive liberals, but censor anything they don't like and make facepalm-worthy decisions that supposedly serve in the best interests of students across the UK; e.g. gay white men don't need representation; 'lad culture' is so dire a summit needs to be called etc. Inherent misanry lies within the NUS.
Original post by neb789
As many of you may have noticed the National Union for Students has drawn a lot of criticism for its views of not condemning ISIS, banning gay white men as 'they aren't oppressed and for generally not representing the average student.

Of course these are the things that have grabbed the headlines but is this actually representative of most of the work the NUS does? I'm not convinced that it is, and I feel like people are making mountains out of molehills here. You can disagree with some of the motions the NUS has passed by all means but how on earth is that an argument for abolishing it? The NUS is more than an ultra left-wing drama machine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Of course these are the things that have grabbed the headlines but is this actually representative of most of the work the NUS does? I'm not convinced that it is, and I feel like people are making mountains out of molehills here. You can disagree with some of the motions the NUS has passed by all means but how on earth is that an argument for abolishing it? The NUS is more than an ultra left-wing drama machine.

Is it not a problem in itself that its members do not know what it does?
Reply 48

For something that should be representing students and pushing things that are more relevant at ground level such as increasingly costly accommodation and the effect of the loan cuts on those with middle income it has really failed.

Its almost like being forced to associate with the political party you hate as they 'support your demographic'

What do you think should be done? :smile:
Original post by neb789
For something that should be representing students and pushing things that are more relevant at ground level such as increasingly costly accommodation and the effect of the loan cuts on those with middle income it has really failed.

Its almost like being forced to associate with the political party you hate as they 'support your demographic'

What do you think should be done? :smile:

Original post by Roving Fish
Is it not a problem in itself that its members do not know what it does?

I'm certainly not saying that the NUS is perfect, my point is that just because one branch of the NUS is saying things that some people don't agree with, doesn't mean the entire institution is fundamentally evil and needs to be abolished. Students need a union - the NUS exists so you might as well work with what you've got rather than starting from scratch. But yes, the kind of change we need to see is a movement towards supporting issues that genuinely affect students, like accommodation and living cost issues, although I don't think it's completely fair to say that the NUS has been completely neglecting this because they haven't.
I'm certainly not saying that the NUS is perfect, my point is that just because one branch of the NUS is saying things that some people don't agree with, doesn't mean the entire institution is fundamentally evil and needs to be abolished. Students need a union - the NUS exists so you might as well work with what you've got rather than starting from scratch. But yes, the kind of change we need to see is a movement towards supporting issues that genuinely affect students, like accommodation and living cost issues, although I don't think it's completely fair to say that the NUS has been completely neglecting this because they haven't.

I'd agree that they're not neglecting the issues, but I would say that they're approaching them in an unpractical way with no real victories.
Reply 51
It has been hijacked by a bunch of people with an overheightened sense of self-importance. I would say reform it, but at this point I think it is damaged beyond repair.

I think most of the services they provide could be done by somebody else with no political baggage. That's probably the point that most people are making when calling for it's death.

Students don't actually need the NUS. I went to a university that was actually banned from joining the NUS and we managed fine without them.
Well I though NUS just issued the student discount card which I use all the time and think is great but I didn't know they did other things :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending