The Student Room Group

The "kind, caring" Corbyn strikes again with his kindness

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To be fair, he's a lot more patient and kind than I am at that time of morning.

If I had journalists shoving phones in my face to get soundbites then my morning reaction wouldn't be anywhere near as polite.

At least let the bloody guy get to work before making him work. If we can't even agree on that anymore then we're all beyond help.
Original post by tengentoppa

Admittedly this is much about do nothing, but having journalists outside your door is part and parcel of the position he willingly put himself forward for. He has no right to complain.

In more general terms, Corbyn does have a temperament problem, never more evident than in his Hamas interview.

Precisely. I know that by itself this isn't a huge deal, but it's part of a pattern with him. You could see the anger and frustration on his face as he pushed it out of the way, it's the same look that came over him when he was being questioned by Laura Kuenssberg about bowing to the queen and he just scrunched up his face, gave a rictus grin and said "Thank you" rather than simply answering the question.

His supporters are the one who have set him up as this sainted, kindly figure who is too good for this tainted world. They've put him up on that pedestal, they can't complain when we knock him off
Original post by Zargabaath
It's not even like he decked her or something though, he just moved her hand out of the way :lol:

Nation of pussies, I swear :rofl:

People are just hating on the actions of "Thugga Thugga" Corbyn.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LPK

At least let the bloody guy get to work before making him work

You mean the workplace where he hides out in his office and doesn't answer journalist's questions, rarely giving interviews?

If he was supplying the goods to journalists on a regular basis with interviews they wouldn't stand outside his door trying to ask questions.
Is this for real? I'd be furious if there were people outside of my house waiting to pounce on me.
Reply 25
A politician who speaks the truth. How terrible..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Observatory
Of course. If you have a Buddha complex you think you are the holiest of the holy and you also expect to be worshipped. You are well prepared to be beneficent and kind to your loving faithful. Not so much people who try to poke holes in your holiness.

Nailed it. What I find fascinating is that whenever he's being interviewed by a critical journalist (as opposed to fanboys like from the Morning Star), he adopts this tone of wearied frustration, as if he feels like he's having to explain things to idiots.

What I find ironic about that is that it's precisely the tone I've encountered from people who actually have slightly-below-average intelligence and thus have difficulty articulating their ideas. He wouldn't normally feel that because he's used to being in a hard left bubble where they all tend to think the same way. But suddenly being questioned by sceptical reporters, he feels like the reason they're not "getting it" must be because they're stupid, not because most of his ideas are half-formed thought bubbles and rigid dogmas that are not easily conveyed to people who don't live in that hard leftie world
Original post by KingBradly
He has very willingly become leader of the opposition, and therefore a major public figure who is expected to act at the whim of the people. If he didn't want this, he shouldn't have taken this job.

I don't think that limiting our pool of potential candidates to only those who would immediately surrender both their and their family's right to privacy at the impertinent whim of some stereotypical hack fresh out of the 'Soundbite Academy' school of journalism is necessarily conducive to maximising the public good.
Reply 28
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
If he was supplying the goods to journalists on a regular basis with interviews they wouldn't stand outside his door trying to ask questions.

Yes, they would.

David Cameron gives more interviews per day than you can shake a stick at. Everywhere he goes he will give some form of conference, speech, Q&A etc to media. He's certainly not inaccessible, as you describe Corbyn to be.

And yet, they still follow him around when he's 'off work'. He goes on holiday with his wife and children and we get news articles from journalists who are following him everywhere and trying to get pictures of him eating meals with his wife etc etc.

This idea journalists will 'back off' if you give them a bit of access doesn't really add up.
Original post by iEthan
Is this for real? I'd be furious if there were people outside of my house waiting to pounce on me.

That would be fair enough for your average geezer on the street, the man on the clapham omnibus, Charlie Titmuncher from Chipping Sodbury and so on.

But if someone willingly put themselves up for the position of Opposition Leader then complains about media scrutiny and journalists constantly asking you questions? It's like taking a job in Seattle then complaining that it rains too much.
Original post by LPK
Yes, they would.

David Cameron gives more interviews per day than you can shake a stick at. Everywhere he goes he will give some form of conference, speech, Q&A etc to media. He's certainly not inaccessible, as you describe Corbyn to be.

And yet, they still follow him around when he's 'off work'. He goes on holiday with his wife and children and we get news articles from journalists who are following him everywhere and trying to get pictures of him eating meals with his wife etc etc.

This idea journalists will 'back off' if you give them a bit of access doesn't really add up.

I'm sorry but it's true. First, they're not outisde his house every single day. They wait outside his house when there's a big story on, about him or about the PM.

And if when he was walking out his door he was on his way then and there to a media press conference, of course they wouldn't bother. Corbyn has a total bunker mentality, he and Shameless think every media organisation except the Star is part of a conspiracy against them and so they see all journalists as the enemy.

Say what you like about Alastair Campbell but at least he knew how to make the media work for the Labour Party. Corbyn simply antagonises the media. Now his hard left fanboys might cheer him on and say "Yeah, kick sand in their eyes" and marvel at how "tough" he is. But in reality that's a complete self-indulgent ****. The media is important for winning elections, and if you really care about changing things for vulnerable people who really need a Labour government then you do what you have to. Corbyn invariably does the complete opposite of what's needed, showing his utter contempt for the people who truly need a Labour government
Original post by Profesh
I don't think that limiting our pool of potential candidates to only those who would immediately surrender both their and their family's right to privacy at the impertinent whim of some stereotypical hack fresh out of the 'Soundbite Academy' school of journalism is necessarily conducive to maximising the public good.

Talking about an opposition leader's "right to privacy" is a laugh. There are plenty of people who are willing to take the very high level scutiny that comes with being Oppo Leader or Prime Minister. The rewards in terms of power are immense and that is the deal, the downside of media scrutiny and lack of a private life, the upside of being the leader of the country and becoming a major historical figure.

The media is the way it is, complaining about it won't change it. You either work with it and make it work for you, like Alastair Campbell did. Or you whine and complain about how you didn't expect that as Opposition Leader you'd have journalists on your doorstep, and go into a huff and say that your personal "red lines" are more important than the good of the party.

Personally, I have little respect for someone who chooses the latter. They're simply not suitable for the job
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PaulACP
A politician who speaks the truth. How terrible..

Was he speaking the truth when he called Hamas his "friends" and praised their "dedication to peace and social justice"?

Genuine question :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by MrMackyTv
She was pushing the mic in his face at the front of his house. Ask yourself if you wouldn't be frustrated about that? God. Pointless thread.

I wouldn't be happy if that happened to me. Jheeze, he was literally just leaving the home and all these press officials are shoving the mic ready to ambush him with questions.
Reply 34
I'm sorry but it's true. First, they're not outisde his house every single day. They wait outside his house when there's a big story on, about him or about the PM.

And if when he was walking out his door he was on his way then and there to a media press conference, of course they wouldn't bother. Corbyn has a total bunker mentality, he and Shameless think every media organisation except the Star is part of a conspiracy against them and so they see all journalists as the enemy.

Say what you like about Alastair Campbell but at least he knew how to make the media work for the Labour Party. Corbyn simply antagonises the media. Now his hard left fanboys might cheer him on and say "Yeah, kick sand in their eyes" and marvel at how "tough" he is. But in reality that's a complete self-indulgent ****. The media is important for winning elections, and if you really care about changing things for vulnerable people who really need a Labour government then you do what you have to. Corbyn invariably does the complete opposite of what's needed, showing his utter contempt for the people who truly need a Labour government

Heh, at this point you're preaching to the choir. :wink:

I'm not a Corbyn fan by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm not about to defend anything and everything he does. However, shouting questions at somebody before they have even shut their front door just isn't a decent way to conduct ourselves. Sure, it's how things are, but even politicians deserve a bit more privacy than that, regardless of who they are.
Original post by Hydeman

domino effect... now i am triggered

who will be next ? :afraid:
Original post by LPK
Heh, at this point you're preaching to the choir. :wink:

I'm not a Corbyn fan by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm not about to defend anything and everything he does. However, shouting questions at somebody before they have even shut their front door just isn't a decent way to conduct ourselves. Sure, it's how things are, but even politicians deserve a bit more privacy than that, regardless of who they are.

I don't think they were shouting questions at him, were they? They were asking him questions. He knows that journalists who carry iPhones need to hold them close to get good audio and Charlotte presumably thought he was stepping back to make a comment not shut his gate. He then adopted his usual pissy attitude

Maybe in an ideal world politicians wouldn't be stopped on their doorstep but the reality is that it is vital for journalists to have that freedom in the modern era of spin and managed press conferences. This is one of the few opportunities journalists have to ask him questions given how rarely he makes himself available to the media (when he really should be doing at least one interview a day).

And I have little sympathy for someone who puts their hand up to be opposition leader and then complains about aspects of the job everyone knows about when he gets there. Antagonising the media and journalists in particular (as they are human beings) will damage Labour's chances at the next election, and nothing is more important than that including Corbyn's feelings that he should not be challenged as other politicians are
Original post by JTran38
I wouldn't be happy if that happened to me. Jheeze, he was literally just leaving the home and all these press officials are shoving the mic ready to ambush him with questions.

As normal joe citizen, that's fine.

But if you put your hand up to be opposition leader and then complained about media scrutiny when you got into the job, and particularly if you already were extremely stingy about giving interviews to the media, I'd say you were being a bit of a self-indulgent ****** and you should find another line of work if journalists asking you questions on your doorstep was too offensive to your refined sensibilities.
Original post by the bear
domino effect... now i am triggered

who will be next ? :afraid:

CCCCCCCCCCC........Combo breaker! Now the triggering will have to start again.
He's done it again.

https://twitter.com/LBC_Charlotte/status/718381074359984128

Nobody else in parliament acts like this. Why does Corbyn find it so difficult to deal with frustration? There was the time he started shouting at Krishnen Guru-Murthy when he was being asked about his links to Hamas, there was the time he was interviewed by Cathy Newman who asked him about his links to Holocaust deniers and once the cameras stopped rolling he pulled her aside and ranted at her she says he was "shaking with rage", and there was the time he stomped in an innocent woman's direction almost knocking her over because he was irritated by someone asking him questions and the time he tried to get police to deal with journalists asking him questions.

Whenever there's something going on he doesn't like, he gets this pissy look on his face and starts acting out his grumpiness. He reminds me of my 14 year old half-brother. He's obviously nothing like the Buddha-esque, kindly, caring, sainted man who is too good for this world that his supporters constantly make him out to be. One gets the impression that he finds actually being questioned a shock to the system, after spending the last 30 years in a tiny hard left bubble where he would never be questioned and he could act out his fantasies of being an important revolutionary figure

1) There was a microphone shoved near his face.
2) Got asked questions like his a rat.
3) Maybe he doesn't want to do personal attacks.

Quick Reply

Latest