The Student Room Group

Warwick university investigates racist slurs scrawled on student's bananas

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
So why is racism a significantly worse form of discrimination than any other, given apparently it is if it has to be put on its own tier of discrimination?

I've never said that though :confused: You cannot rank different forms of discrimination against each other on importance as they are all unique. I said specifically that reverse racism is not a real problem as white people are the ones who hold most power and are the majority.
If I was her I would've beat the crap out of them them
Original post by DiddyDec
So white people lack the right to have an opinion simply because of the colour of their skin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would help if you actually quoted the whole of the sentence :rolleyes: You're resorting to manipulation of my post cause you have no real argument against it...

What I actually said was that in this specific case, white people do not understand how frightening something like this can be because they do not experience institutional racism and are the majority ethnic group in this country. If a statement like that actually offends you, whereas a woman being harassed and racially abused in her own living place does not, then there is something seriously wrong with the way you think.
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
Lol you use troll to mean someone who disagrees with your world view, how cute.

I'm not a troll because I used a bit of jargon.

You used it completely wrong. It isn't micro at all. It is overt aggression.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by queen-bee
Is it true that there's a lot of racism in places like Warwick uni,York and Exeter and Durham?

I'm sure it does. Racial superiority is, unfortunately, a blight on society, despite centuries of evidence that it leads to no value.
Original post by chopinfan
It would help if you actually quoted the whole of the sentence :rolleyes: You're resorting to manipulation of my post cause you have no real argument against it...

What I actually said was that in this specific case, white people do not understand how frightening something like this can be because they do not experience institutional racism and are the majority ethnic group in this country. If a statement like that actually offends you, whereas a woman being harassed and racially abused in her own living place does not, then there is something seriously wrong with the way you think.

I do have an argument which is detailed on the first page.

You however are discriminating against people on the basis of their skin colour and the stereotyped view you have of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
Of course you can.

It's because I've seen way too many of these types of things which have then later turned out to be fabrications. And each time that has happened, my faith in peoples' honesty in these situations has decreased. Now I cannot bring myself to believe these people, which is sad.

Sure :yep: :rolleyes:
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
This thread is disgusting.

It's filled with victim blamers: 'from her photo she looks like a bitch' 'I bet she did it herself' 'she's over-reacting' 'I'm not a special snowflake' - implying she's acting like one. It's filled with people trying to play it down and act like because it seems like a minor thing, it has no greater significance. Saying they won't say their piece until 'there's more evidence' as if what is produced as of yet isn't valid.

Let me break it down for you people who can't understand how this micro-aggression is indeed distressing and very unsettling.

This girl opens the fridge in her home for the next few months at least to find her stuff has been tampered with and had slurs written about her race on her stuff. This means her flatmates had no problem sending her the message that they don't like her because of her race, that they are willing to **** with her stuff, which means they have no problem ****ing with her - which puts her in immediate danger. Moreover, they didn't have the balls to put their name alongside it. Which means she has no clue who has put a target on her back. She has to go about her day in the flat they share, not knowing who to trust, who will look out for her if anything escalates, who sees her as a monkey or a n*****. That is ****ed up, it is distressing and it is not minor. That is racism and intimidation at its finest. Small acts never have small significance.

If you want to justify this so it fits with your view of the UK, go ahead, but it isn't this black girl who's living in a 'bubble' - it's you.

Agreed.
I do have an argument which is detailed on the first page.

You however are discriminating against people on the basis of their skin colour and the stereotyped view you have of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is your argument:

"Incredibly distressing ordeal?

Being kidnapped is a an incredibly distressing ordeal, not having some mean words written on a fruit."

Whilst being kidnapped is obviously a more distressing ordeal, your argument is trying to humiliate someone for being distressed due to a racially prejudiced attack. You're basically saying that because other people have had more distressing events happen to them, she has no right to feel fearful at what happened. That's like saying to someone who says they're happy with what they have that they shouldn't be happy because other people have it better...

If someone has the audacity to insult her like that in her own flat, then who knows what else they could to do her. Also, why would I have a very stereotyped view of white people when I am white myself? That makes no sense at all.
Incredibly distressing ordeal?

Being kidnapped is a an incredibly distressing ordeal, not having some mean words written on a fruit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least you stated it's "mean words."
That's a start.

No.

Being attacked by terrorists is an incredibly distressing ordeal, not racial slurs on bananas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Incredibly stressing ordeal" is clearly an understatement for being attacked by terrorists but nice try :rolleyes:
Original post by chopinfan
This is your argument:

"Incredibly distressing ordeal?

Being kidnapped is a an incredibly distressing ordeal, not having some mean words written on a fruit."

Whilst being kidnapped is obviously a more distressing ordeal, your argument is trying to humiliate someone for being distressed due to a racially prejudiced attack. You're basically saying that because other people have had more distressing events happen to them, she has no right to feel fearful at what happened. That's like saying to someone who says they're happy with what they have that they shouldn't be happy because other people have it better...

If someone has the audacity to insult her like that in her own flat, then who knows what else they could to do her. Also, why would I have a very stereotyped view of white people when I am white myself? That makes no sense at all.

I literally just said this!
Original post by GeordieGirll
Agreed.

Coming from someone from Bootle, yay :biggrin:
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
No humanity? It's pretty ironic that you're calling people who don't respect this woman's plight non-human when the young lady at the centre of this story was called the same thing. #hypocrite #sortitout #giveheadwobble

People who jump on blaming the victim and belittling her suffering fulfils the requirement of lacking humanity. On the other hand racist remarks have zero substance. Please no more false equivalences
Original post by TSR Mustafa
People who jump on blaming the victim and belittling her suffering fulfils the requirement of lacking humanity. On the other hand racist remarks have zero substance. Please no more false equivalences

Neither do hypocritical remarks. Are we all humans or are we not; do we all have inherent rights or do we not? Look into your own heart before judging other people's.
Original post by BaconandSauce

(and as I'm a massive cynic I'll wait for the facts n this one but have my suspicions)

You mean it might have been orchestrated for publicity?

It does seem interesting that they were just left there in the kitchen to be found. If it is a true bill, then it's really horrible and offensive.

But tbh I'm almost a bit cynical about the Twitter/SJW world and we have seen cases before where people have made things up to get kudos in the SJW world.
Neither do hypocritical remarks. Are we all humans or are we not; do we all have inherent rights or do we not? Look into your own heart before judging other people's.

Simply put they are *******s. The ironic thing is you're judging me ^^
Original post by _icecream
If I was her I would've beat the crap out of them them

Who is "them"? I thought she doesn't know who did it
Simply put they are *******s. The ironic thing is you're judging me ^^

I am. The ease with which you dismiss the human value of others is the same ease possessed by racists.
I am. The ease with which you dismiss the human value of others is the same ease possessed by racists.

My dismissal of their human value is substantiated , unlike racists.
My dismissal of their human value is substantiated , unlike racists.

It never is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending