The Student Room Group

I need time dilation help please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by AlbertXY
no it does not move diagonally which can be easily proven and i have already shown.

NO, it can be measured differently on a different planet by present standards contradiction.

No, it cant. the speed of light is universal.

As for the diagonal light path, prove it :smile:
Reply 61
The fact is a beam of light needs a medium such as smoke to be seen, the fact is beams of light is observe effect, the light off the sun is isotropic and it is a fact it is not opaque.

No it doesn't, actually. that is a common myth.
Reply 62
Light can only be reflected diagonally off a mirrored surface.
Reply 63
Original post by Kyx
No it doesn't, actually. that is a common myth.

That is strange, I have a laser, I can not see the laser beam in natural light or in the dark , the frequency is beyond my visual range , however when I blow smoke from my cigarette, the laser interacts with the smoke and I can see the laser beam.

It is not a myth I own a laser and have tried this several times.
Reply 64
Light can only be reflected diagonally off a mirrored surface.

And that is exactly what is happening

That is strange, I have a laser, I can not see the laser beam in natural light or in the dark , the frequency is beyond my visual range , however when I blow smoke from my cigarette, the laser interacts with the smoke and I can see the laser beam.

And if the frequency was inside your visual range?
Reply 65
Original post by Kyx
No, it cant. the speed of light is universal.

As for the diagonal light path, prove it :smile:

Please look at any object in your room, do you see any diagonal paths of light, it is whole.

There you go proven.

The speed of light may be universal, but if an observer disagrees on time then they also have to disagree on speed. That is the contradiction.
Reply 66
Original post by Kyx

And if the frequency was inside your visual range?

You observe that has spectral colour between 400-700nm.
Reply 67
Original post by Kyx

And the mirror is observer effect, placed and angled to an imaginary visual beam.
Reply 68
Please look at any object in your room, do you see any diagonal paths of light, it is whole.

There you go proven.

It depends on how you define 'diagonal'. Which plane you are referring to as the vertical and the horizontal. So yes, I see more diagonal than vertical or horizontal.

The speed of light may be universal, but if an observer disagrees on time then they also have to disagree on speed. That is the contradiction.

No. There is no contradiction. They all agree on speed, but disagree on time. Therefore they disagree on distance too.
You think a student is a troll for questioning the integrity of the knowledge been presented to him?

No, you questioning this is actually very good of you. But to ignore certain facts, and respond with a very vague/random response completely tangential to the argument you are presented with is rather infuriating to try and have a discussion with. I will now wrap this up:

Here we have a spaceship with a mirrored floor and roof. Now:
Δt=dc=2Lc\Delta t^{'}=\frac{d}{c} = \frac{2L}{c}
For the person in the spaceship, this is the change in time.
note this is a model, and we are tracking the photon from the clock
As above, the time frame for the person in the space ship is as we expect it. distance/velocity is time.
Now for the observer outside the spaceship. Again this is a model

According to our observer, the distance DD has changed compared to the person in the spaceship. Using pythagoras we can calculate this:
D2=L2+(x2)2D^2=L^2+(\frac{x}{2})^2
Where xx is the change in the x axis due to vv
x=vΔtx=v \Delta t
So by this logic Δt=2Lc\Delta t^{'}=\frac{2L}{c}, Δ=2hc\Delta =\frac{2h}{c}. Therefore,
L=cΔt2L=\frac{c\Delta t^{'}}{2} and D=cΔt2D=\frac{c\Delta t}{2}
Substituting these values into the first equation:
(cΔt2)2=(cΔt2)2+(vΔt2)2(\frac{c\Delta t}{2})^2=(\frac{c\Delta t^{'}}{2})^2+(\frac{v\Delta t}{2})^2
As such:
Unparseable latex formula:

\Delta t=\dfrac{\Detla t^'}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}

There you you, proved the theory of special relativity using elementary level maths and some situations.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Kyx
It depends on how you define 'diagonal'. Which plane you are referring to as the vertical and the horizontal. So yes, I see more diagonal than vertical or horizontal.

No. There is no contradiction. They all agree on speed, but disagree on time. Therefore they disagree on distance too.

NO, speed is d/t

You cant agree on speed without agreeing on time

t1=1s

t2=a shorter second

d/t1=299 792 458 m / s

d/t2=further
Reply 71
NO, speed is d/t

You cant agree on speed without agreeing on time

t1=1s

t2=a shorter second

d/t1=299 792 458 m / s

d/t2=further

Speed = distance over time

So, if speed = 1

Distance can equal 1 if time equals 1
Or distance can equal 2 if time equals 2
Reply 72
Original post by Kyx
Speed = distance over time

So, if speed = 1

Distance can equal 1 if time equals 1
Or distance can equal 2 if time equals 2

Yes , the speed of light in a vacuum is an invariant, we both can agree that light travelling 1m in a vacuum is a constant, but we both have to agree that time is an invariant.

Nope, wrong.

If the frequency of the light were outside your visual range, it'd be an IR or UV light. Doesn't matter if it's passing through smoke or what, you wouldn't be able to see it.

Just doesn't reflect off of the thinly dispersed gases in the air, hence why you don't see the light unless it's passing through a smoke or pointed directly at your eyes. It's just directional hence why you don't see it most of the time. Light from the sun, however, is widely dispersed and hence reflects off just about everything around us.
Reply 74
Yes , the speed of light in a vacuum is an invariant, we both can agree that light travelling 1m in a vacuum is a constant, but we both have to agree that time is an invariant.

:no:
Reply 75
Original post by Alexion
Nope, wrong.

If the frequency of the light were outside your visual range, it'd be an IR or UV light. Doesn't matter if it's passing through smoke or what, you wouldn't be able to see it.

Just doesn't reflect off of the thinly dispersed gases in the air, hence why you don't see the light unless it's passing through a smoke or pointed directly at your eyes. It's just directional hence why you don't see it most of the time. Light from the sun, however, is widely dispersed and hence reflects off just about everything around us.

Ok, so then you can tell me the frequency of white light can you?

This statement proves your lack of understanding. White light is a combination of all of the frequencies in the VR.

Seriously...

White light is made up of a mixture of different wavelengths of light. Combining all the different components of the visible spectrum into one light source creates a light that appears to be white.

Pretty sure that Year 7s know this.
Reply 78
of.jpg
Original post by The-Spartan
No, you questioning this is actually very good of you. But to ignore certain facts, and respond with a very vague/random response .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Alexion
Seriously...

White light is made up of a mixture of different wavelengths of light. Combining all the different components of the visible spectrum into one light source creates a light that appears to be white.

Pretty sure that Year 7s know this.

Obviously I already know the answer, so in the space between your eyes and any object can you tell me what frequency of light you observe?

Quick Reply

Latest