The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

My application page has updated! I've been shortlisted! :biggrin:
Original post by Redshoesfx

Same here :biggrin: Fingers crossed for everyone else.

(Also to feed into the above conversation, I found my AC to be pretty much equal in terms of gender, but there had to only be two non-white people there which isn't great)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 262
Original post by Redshoesfx

Me too! Congrats!

Are you going to the open day in London?
me to! don't know if ill go to a open day yet as don't have may penny's at the min. Well done everyone,
I'm through too! :smile: Unfortunately I can't make either of the information days though! I know it says it's not mandatory but do you think this could put me at a disadvantage for the selection process? I seem to remember the girl describing this as a chance to impress the councils!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by paddy25
I'm through too! :smile: Unfortunately I can't make either of the information days though! I know it says it's not mandatory but do you think this could put me at a disadvantage for the selection process? I seem to remember the girl describing this as a chance to impress the councils!

I reckon it would be unfair discrimination for this to put you (and me as I can't make them either!!) at a disadvantage. If they only provide 2 days they can't expect us all to make them. Surely the interview is the chance to really impress the councils??

By the way, I got through too!!!

Out of interest where are people looking to apply? I'm not sure yet, there are none near me unfortunately so would have to move, all I know is I don't particularly want London!!
Original post by RubyRoo1993
Out of curiosity, was anybody elses assessment centre really lacking in diversity? I couldn't help but notice this and wondered if this was the same for other assesment days

I went to the AC on the 30th March in Manchester. There was one other guy including me who were the only visible non-white. That said though, everyone was quite friendly.

The AC for the Civil service (which I unfortunately didn't pass) was a lot more tense even though it was more diverse.

btw- I've been shortlisted for the council interviews- any ideas into which councils you guys want to apply for?
Many congrats to everyone who got through. Commiserations if you didn't.

Does anyone remember what the likelihood of getting a placement with a council was at this stage? I have a memory of the coordinator at the AC saying that of the 100 or so who get to interview, only a handful won't be offered placements. Is that a false memory or is this the impression everyone else got? Really unsure of the numbers, so don't take my word for it.
Original post by joeling16

Does anyone remember what the likelihood of getting a placement with a council was at this stage? I have a memory of the coordinator at the AC saying that of the 100 or so who get to interview, only a handful won't be offered placements. Is that a false memory or is this the impression everyone else got? Really unsure of the numbers, so don't take my word for it.

Hey, think there is about a 90% chance you'll get a job now. So pretty high, but still a chance you won't (not to worry anyone).
Original post by joeling16

Well done! This was my understanding too. The numbers I remember were around 130 for 120 places and she seemed to describe it as basically a matching process, so I guess the surplus is basically a drop out rate or similar. I imagine a fair few will get a job in the meantime, or perhaps not take it up if they don't get offered the region/council they want etc
Original post by paddy25
Well done! This was my understanding too. The numbers I remember were around 130 for 120 places and she seemed to describe it as basically a matching process, so I guess the surplus is basically a drop out rate or similar. I imagine a fair few will get a job in the meantime, or perhaps not take it up if they don't get offered the region/council they want etc

Original post by Nightwing_
Hey, think there is about a 90% chance you'll get a job now. So pretty high, but still a chance you won't (not to worry anyone).

Thanks both, that was my impression. Seems chances are pretty high and that the attrition rate at this stage is as much (if not more) people dropping out rather than being unsuccessful. I just didn't want to trust my memory.
Original post by paddy25

MUCH better answer than mine!!!
Original post by Nightwing_
MUCH better answer than mine!!!

Haha yours was more concise :wink:
I've been shortlisted too! Very pleased and hoping you are right that 90% or so get jobs now as it seems like quite a long process already. Have no idea what councils to go for, do you think it helps to have lived there? If so I haven't lived near any so not sure if that makes a difference. !
Reply 274
I've emailed to ask but haven't heard back yet, does anyone know why some councils taking part may not be attending either of the information days? I'm hoping to apply to Sheffield but as far as I can see they're not listed as attending but are still listed under participating authorities.
How are people accessing the K hub/ knowledge hub?
Original post by Donosocortés
How are people accessing the K hub/ knowledge hub?

I emailed the person mentioned in the previous email to ask for access, but not had a reply yet.
Hi- I've been shortlisted too, congrats to everyone! Just wondering if anyone's attending the information day at Wolverhampton- when I applied last night there were still 83 places left so I don't think that many are attending? Also wondering what to wear- smart or casual?

With regards to wondering which councils to apply to, I'm not really sure- I think as long as we research the councils we're applying to, it should be alright as I think there will be more of a focus of what we can bring to their council, and why we really want to work in local government. I reckon it will help though if you're applying to a local council in your hometown as you've grown up there and can talk about how you've personally benefitted from your local council and how you want to give back??
Original post by k1995c
Hi- I've been shortlisted too, congrats to everyone! Just wondering if anyone's attending the information day at Wolverhampton- when I applied last night there were still 83 places left so I don't think that many are attending? Also wondering what to wear- smart or casual?

With regards to wondering which councils to apply to, I'm not really sure- I think as long as we research the councils we're applying to, it should be alright as I think there will be more of a focus of what we can bring to their council, and why we really want to work in local government. I reckon it will help though if you're applying to a local council in your hometown as you've grown up there and can talk about how you've personally benefitted from your local council and how you want to give back??

I think that you should be fine to dress more casual than the AC, think it would probably look a little odd to turn up in a suit! But keep in mind they are potential employers, so don't be scruffy (not that you would but you know what I mean!!!! :smile:)

Yeah I can't do that as none are in my hometown or where I live now!! I 'd rather be at a council that has a strong environmental focus, so will probably steer away from the big cities, unless any of those are particularly proud of their environmental spaces, but generally probably looking more rural!
Anyone else had any luck with the khub???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending