The Student Room Group

Sick of my weight, totally depressed feel really ugly 😟 diet tips pls

Pls post if you feel the same & tips for staying motivated on healthier lifestyle

Scroll to see replies

The best advice i can give in terms of motivation is that you have to realise that it is a long process and wont happen overnight. Therefore it is okay to take small steps such as still having chocolate, but have less. Try to have less junk each week. Drink more water

Also make sure you are having fun whilst exercising.
Reply 2
Original post by SuperHuman98
The best advice i can give in terms of motivation is that you have to realise that it is a long process and wont happen overnight. Therefore it is okay to take small steps such as still having chocolate, but have less. Try to have less junk each week. Drink more water

Also make sure you are having fun whilst exercising.

Thanks
Original post by akritighimire
going vegan is probably the easiest way

Going vegan is not easy! XD
Start by making subtle changes. Going for a quick run in the morning or 1 less sugar in your coffee. Keep reducing the amount of sugar and red meat in your diet and gradually increase the amount of exercise you do. Weigh yourself after a week and you should see your weight go down which should make the work pay off. I've just realised this is basically what superhuman said. Losing weight should be something with a reward for your work, so don't completely cut out chocolate and treats, but maybe once a week.
Reply 5
Original post by AsiaM
Pls post if you feel the same & tips for staying motivated on healthier lifestyle

Watch some fitness you tubers. Lots of them upload daily and I find that is a good way of motivating yourself. Maybe watch their video(s) as soon as you wake up for motivation.

Set a goal, a realistic goal, and stick to it. If you have a goal to work towards it will make it easier for you to reach it, rather than just seeing how it goes along the way.

Track your progress. This will keep you motivated as you will be able to see how far you have come, and how far you have to go.

Use MyFitnessPal to track your calorie intake. Find an online calculator and aim to eat 500 calories below your maintenance level. Alternatively, eat 11 x your goal weight in pounds (calorie wise). Try out different diets or eating approaches and find one which works for you.

Find healthy foods which you enjoy, and are happy to eat regularly.

Make sure you always have food in. If you don't, you'll end up eating crap. Make it easily available and accessible.

With that being said, ensure you have lots of healthy snacks. This will help curb cravings and prevent you from binge eating.

By losing weight, your face will slim down, giving you a more defined, better jaw line, which will make you appear more attractive regardless of how attractive you are now.

The saying 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' is a little provocative but not far from the truth. When you want to eat something unhealthy, ask yourself how much you'll enjoy it and how long for. When you're eating, do you really get that much enjoyment out of it? If so, how long does it last? That being said, allow yourself treats from time to time.

Don't get a personal trainer. That's right, don't. They are a waste of money and won't really offer you anything extra than what you can get for free online, or elsewhere.

Learn to enjoy working out. Put your headphones in and block out the world. Take the time to either forget about everything, or to think about your life.

The hardest part is taking the first step. Remember, a journey of 1000 miles begins with just one step. As soon as you start, it will get 10 times easier from then on in.

There will be highs and lows along the way, sometimes you will binge eat and sometimes you will put on some weight, but remember where you came from and how far you have come.

Its really not hard to lose weight and better yourself as long as its something you really want to do. As long as you make it work for you, it will be much easier than you think.
Reduce portion sizes, do not snack and enrol in the gym - sorted :smile:
it is, compared to strict diets and exercising daily- all you need to do is not eat meat and dairy :smile:

I suppose but it's not easy for a lot of people, bacon is too nice :smile: Although I am thinking of going vegetarian because it's much healthier than other diets.
Weight loss logistically is very simple. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.

Google tdee calculator and use that to determine your tdee ( the total calories your body needs in a day to maintain its weight depending in weight, height, gender, age and activity level.)

All you then need to do is eat less calories than your tdee a day to lose weight. If you eat about 500 calories less a day you should lose approximately 1lb per week ( as 1lb of fat is equal to approx 3500 calories, 3500/7 days = 500 calories).

Log your calorie intake using myfitnesspal.co.uk , be sure to be as accurate when logging calories as possible. And don't forget to include things like sauces and cooking oil. When trying to lose weight it is better to overestimate than underestimate your calories.

It's normal for your weight to fluctuate a few pounds or so, don't worry about this it is mostly water retention and the weight of stuff in your digestive system. If you don't see any weight coming off after 4 weeks however then either your tdee is lower than estimated or you're counting your calories inaccurately, so lower your calories some more or be more careful with logging calories.

Try to eat a balanced diet, by keeping your nutrition on point you're less likely to crave big junk meals or binge. But on the same point, allow yourself treats within your calorific goals. You'll be more likely to give up and lose motivation if you're miserable on the food you're eating.

If you reach a plateau in weight loss it'll likely be because your tdee is now lower and your deficit is no longer big enough to keep losing at your previous steady rate. So recalculate your tdee and eat below it again.

Once you have lost the desired amount of weight you will need to recalculate yor tdee and eat that amount of calories on average per day and you will maintain your weight.

Don't expect weight loss to happen overnight, it's a long process and a lifestyle change.
(edited 7 years ago)
What Sophie and JC said.

If you want to lose weight, then you have to be ready to want to change and commit to making those changes consistently, so it becomes a lifestyle long term change. If you arent ready then don start or start with very small steps and build You need to eat slightly less than your body needs. It helps if you learn about nutrition and exercise.Be patient and realistic.
Reply 10
Original post by .JC.
Watch some fitness you tubers. Lots of them upload daily and I find that is a good way of motivating yourself. Maybe watch their video(s) as soon as you wake up for motivation.

Set a goal, a realistic goal, and stick to it. If you have a goal to work towards it will make it easier for you to reach it, rather than just seeing how it goes along the way.

Track your progress. This will keep you motivated as you will be able to see how far you have come, and how far you have to go.

Use MyFitnessPal to track your calorie intake. Find an online calculator and aim to eat 500 calories below your maintenance level. Alternatively, eat 11 x your goal weight in pounds (calorie wise). Try out different diets or eating approaches and find one which works for you.

Find healthy foods which you enjoy, and are happy to eat regularly.

Make sure you always have food in. If you don't, you'll end up eating crap. Make it easily available and accessible.

With that being said, ensure you have lots of healthy snacks. This will help curb cravings and prevent you from binge eating.

By losing weight, your face will slim down, giving you a more defined, better jaw line, which will make you appear more attractive regardless of how attractive you are now.

The saying 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels' is a little provocative but not far from the truth. When you want to eat something unhealthy, ask yourself how much you'll enjoy it and how long for. When you're eating, do you really get that much enjoyment out of it? If so, how long does it last? That being said, allow yourself treats from time to time.

Don't get a personal trainer. That's right, don't. They are a waste of money and won't really offer you anything extra than what you can get for free online, or elsewhere.

Learn to enjoy working out. Put your headphones in and block out the world. Take the time to either forget about everything, or to think about your life.

The hardest part is taking the first step. Remember, a journey of 1000 miles begins with just one step. As soon as you start, it will get 10 times easier from then on in.

There will be highs and lows along the way, sometimes you will binge eat and sometimes you will put on some weight, but remember where you came from and how far you have come.

Its really not hard to lose weight and better yourself as long as its something you really want to do. As long as you make it work for you, it will be much easier than you think.

Thanks so much
same, i eat meat but i've been really put off recently, especially bacon since pigs don't sweat and their toxins remain in the meat, i think thats what gives the salty taste, might just go vegetarian - they live on average 10 years longer & it really helps you lose weight

I know it doesn't really make a difference if I go vegetarian or not but livestock (mainly cows and lambs) are a huge contributor to global warming :P Yeah anyway I need to look after my body because I definitely haven't in the past!
go gym :smile:

start with once a week then gradually increase it

i got 3-4 times a week now and im seeing imrprovements

but make sure u dont stop, make it a routine, something you HAVE to do

:smile:
going vegan is probably the easiest way

I know several fat and obese vegans.

Vegan does not necessarily = healthy or low calorie food.

You can eat the healthiest vegan food in the world and still be overweight if you eat too much of it.
My concern is you talke all the little bits of information, but you never piece them together so they make sense and the penny drops of what you have to do.

Go and join MFP and start understanding why people lose and gain weight. When you unerstand about weight loss rather than someone telling you, then it will make sense and you might be ready to do something about it.
Original post by .JC.
Watch some fitness you tubers. Lots of them upload daily and I find that is a good way of motivating yourself. Maybe watch their video(s) as soon as you wake up for motivation..

Who would you recommend?
Original post by SophieSmall
I know several fat and obese vegans.

Vegan does not necessarily = healthy or low calorie food.

You can eat the healthiest vegan food in the world and still be overweight if you eat too much of it.

compared to the number of overweight meat eaters? of course eating too much of anything can make you overweight but eating plant based foods compared to dairy and meat (animal hormones + fats) obviously lowers the chance
Reply 17
walk a lot i.e. 2hrs speed walking a day and don't eat before or after for 2hrs
compared to the number of overweight meat eaters? of course eating too much of anything can make you overweight but eating plant based foods compared to dairy and meat (animal hormones + fats) obviously lowers the chance

Some of the highest calorie food (such as nuts) are*vegan.

I just don't agree with advertising a certain diet for weight loss. If the person following the diet doesn't eat below their tdee they won't lose weight whatever diet they are on. The OP needs to understand how weight loss works. Just going vegan doesn't teach them anything.
Understand and accept the fact you will try many times and you will be pushed back by something. I've lost 30lbs but I just binged and had half a GU chocolate cake and I feel guilty but hey I won't eat that for another month or so. Also exam time adds stress so you'll sleep less and then eatmore and gain weight- just take it nice and slow and ALWAYS have a positive attitude! If your peers are eating cake you can shrug and say lmao not exactly missing out ate a tonne of that back in the day and stay focused

Quick Reply

Latest