The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Accommodation opinions from current bath students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c9smith8
Mechanical with Automotive engineering, how about you??

Sociology. It's been mentioned a lot in this thread :cute:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by undine_monty
Sociology. It's been mentioned a lot in this thread :cute:

Ohhh yes hahah, sounds good!
Hi,

Thanks for your message.

I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer.

Norwood - This is quite a nice block, and the rooms are pretty nice. The rent is comparably cheaper for what you get, however, this is probably due to the fact that it is above the students union. I personally have not lived there however I have heard mixed reports. Club nights are twice a week, and last until 2/3am. Some people say that you get used to it pretty quickly and that you learn to sleep through it. Others say that the whole room vibrates and that you can't get a good nights sleep until you go home! I would say that if you like going out and are a loud person, then definitely consider this. If you are relatively timid and don't really go out, then stear clear.

Westwood - this is the same price as Norwood. You don't get as much for your money but you also don't get the loud club nights a few floors bellow. You will have a wash hand basin in your room and a kitchen between about 7. Toilets will be shared between about 4.In summary, I think it is really down to what type of person you are and where you think you'll fit in best.Hope that helps,

Rob

Original post by ssamarai
NORWOOD OR WESTWOOD plz
Original post by Bath~Student
That's as STEM as gets, dumbass.

Oh really?!?! I never knew?!?! Doesn't mean I can't be polite and civil to others and allow them to make there own choices without belittling them. Chill!!
^ so right! This guy really needs to take a hint and leave us to our own choice!

Oh really?!?! I never knew?!?! Doesn't mean I can't be polite and civil to others and allow them to make there own choices without belittling them. Chill!!

I respect your solidarity :smile:
I respect your solidarity :smile:

my Ex-gf who i'm still good friends with is doing Sociology at Bath, STEM or not (not that it matters anyway) she is enjoying it loads so you're in for a good course :h:
Original post by ljamest
my Ex-gf who i'm still good friends with is doing Sociology at Bath, STEM or not (not that it matters anyway) she is enjoying it loads so you're in for a good course :h:

Yeah, sociologists do make good FWBs.

lol ok.
Original post by ngsteven97
Does anyone know how long it takes for Marlborough/solsbury to fill up?

It's apparently one of the most popular accommodations so it won't take too long to fill up.

Excuse me Mr "Bath student, I'm a mechanical engineer. Bow down to me everyone else", when you reach the outside world I hope that you become more humble and kind to your peers... Honestly you sir need to learn manners and stop being so opinionated about how other people choose to live. Some people prefer to have their own bathrooms due to personal preference and who are you to say that they are wrong to make the choice of having a en-suite?
Further more as a fellow STEM student I do not approve of you belittling others due to their degree choice just because it isn't a STEM or Engineering related course. As a hopeful engineer you should know that many projects will need more than one strain of engineering and expertise... you're going to be working with people with all sorts of degrees and backgrounds. Oh you're in for a shocker... I'm a female STEM student who has FIRMED their choice for MECHANICAL ENGINEERING and I think that you are an arrogant pig who thinks that women are just their to be your play thing. If i ever come across someone like you during my studies... well lets just say you wouldn't be getting any from anyone. I'd be surprised if there's a girl who could possibly put up with the backwards thinking you have... Please this is 2016 not 1940's! Women have as much place in the world as men do.
Yes you might come out with an engineering degree but with that attitude. You sir will simply not be going places if you continue to insult the people around you. :biggrin:
Original post by Stem_Student
Excuse me Mr "Bath student, I'm a mechanical engineer. Bow down to me everyone else", when you reach the outside world I hope that you become more humble and kind to your peers... Honestly you sir need to learn manners and stop being so opinionated about how other people choose to live. Some people prefer to have their own bathrooms due to personal preference and who are you to say that they are wrong to make the choice of having a en-suite?
Further more as a fellow STEM student I do not approve of you belittling others due to their degree choice just because it isn't a STEM or Engineering related course. As a hopeful engineer you should know that many projects will need more than one strain of engineering and expertise... you're going to be working with people with all sorts of degrees and backgrounds. Oh you're in for a shocker... I'm a female STEM student who has FIRMED their choice for MECHANICAL ENGINEERING and I think that you are an arrogant pig who thinks that women are just their to be your play thing. If i ever come across someone like you during my studies... well lets just say you wouldn't be getting any from anyone. I'd be surprised if there's a girl who could possibly put up with the backwards thinking you have... Please this is 2016 not 1940's! Women have as much place in the world as men do.
Yes you might come out with an engineering degree but with that attitude. You sir will simply not be going places if you continue to insult the people around you. :biggrin:

Hey, don't think I'm sexist :frown:
Original post by Stem_Student

Yesssss, well said!!! See you next year!
Could you be put in off campus accommodation in the first year? Does that not make you isolated from everyone on the main campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yesssss, well said!!! See you next year!

Well, this is delusional.
Well, this is delusional.

What now?......
Original post by 1lilypad1
Could you be put in off campus accommodation in the first year? Does that not make you isolated from everyone on the main campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you could. They're normally the last accommodations to be filled up so they could be your only option if you apply for accommodation months late like if you get into Bath through clearing or adjustment for example.

I don't think it makes you more isolated because the off campus accommodations aren't too far from the main campus so you can still interact with people on campus and go to the events. You would just have to incorporate travelling time and money to get back to your accommodation.
What now?......

You really think you're going to meet her irl??

Out of nearly 4000 year 1 undergraduates..
You really think you're going to meet her irl??

Out of nearly 4000 year 1 undergraduates..

It's unlikely but its not impossible. I read that all the Mechanical Engineering students have a common first 2 years, that lowers the odds right there. They could join the same society or sports club, be in the same accommodation or same flat. There are many circumstances where they could meet irl.
It's unlikely but its not impossible. I read that all the Mechanical Engineering students have a common first 2 years, that lowers the odds right there. They could join the same society or sports club, be in the same accommodation or same flat. There are many circumstances where they could meet irl.

Something tells me they hardly have reason to meet each other..
Something tells me they hardly have reason to meet each other..

I meant like run into each other and discover that they'd spoken on tsr before. That could happen. I didn't mean a planned meeting, though that could also happen.

Quick Reply

Latest