The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tinka99
Curious about your thoughts.

Yes it is. To get extra time you generally need something which is a proven disadvantage, it is literally there to level the playing field and as far as i know they've made it harder to get since i did gcse's . For me, I write at half the speed of most people and process information more slowly so if I didnt have it my grades would have been lower than what I m actually capable of.
no, as you don't get extra for a job and you cannot compare like for like between people.
If you come in reasonably late or are disabled mentally, you deserve extra time. If you need extra time to get answers out your head and you're commonly abled, you've technically failed which is the purpose of the test.
Reply 4
no, as someone said above, after finishing education you don't get extra time so why should you get it at school. Also lots of people with extra time really don't need and as the tests for it are easy to fail on purpose.
Reply 5
Original post by truemiscer
no, as you don't get extra for a job and you cannot compare like for like between people.

I have learning difficulties and sitting my GCSE's this year and if I did not get 25% extra time, a reader and a quieter room I would fail as I generally am disadvantaged.
Original post by truemiscer

You can get reasonable adjustments under the equality act in employment?
It all comes down to what the person has that requires extra time.
Yes, I think it is. I write relatively slowly and take longer to process the exam questions, and without the extra time I qualified for, I don't think I would've actually finished most of my exams, and definitely wouldn't have got the grades I was capable of.
Reply 9
Original post by Tinka99
Curious about your thoughts.

It depends what we think the purpose of exams is. If they are solely testing your knowledge of the specification and and ability to apply it then it is fair. If exam results might be taken as an indication of your abilities and wider employability then I would say it is far more questionable. If an employer sees that a candidate has a decent collection of GCSEs then they expect that they can read and write for themselves and work at a decent pace.

Regardless,the current system is massively open to abuse and widely abused. The difference in the way the rules are applied varies widely between schools and is in no way a level playing field.

I still scrupulously provide every scribe, piece of pink paper, minute of extra time, laptop and lone room I have to, I just don't agree with most of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ab2468
no, as someone said above, after finishing education you don't get extra time so why should you get it at school. Also lots of people with extra time really don't need and as the tests for it are easy to fail on purpose.

In employment, reasonable adjustments can be made according to the equality act 2010. I would struggle to concentrate due to my severe ADHD if I did not have a reader to read the questions thus help me concentrate more. I would have panic attacks due to anxiety if I had to go in a hall full of 300 students. I have a slow writing speed and would severely struggle also my Autism makes life worse.
No, it's completely unfair. That's not even counting the thousands of people who are perfectly capable but get extra time!
Reply 12
Original post by richpanda
No, it's completely unfair. That's not even counting the thousands of people who are perfectly capable but get extra time!

I accept that the system does get abused but what about people who generally need it? Like myself?
Original post by Tinka99
I accept that the system does get abused but what about people who generally need it? Like myself?

why do you need it?
No. Most of the people don't deserve it and fail the tests on purpose, but because it's such a stupid system, they get granted the extra time, do amazingly well in all their exams, and then boost up the grade boundaries for the rest.
I also agree with the above posts about no extra time at any other point in life.
I don't think so unless you have a disability. Having extra time because you write too slow is wrong.
I have a friend who gets extra time but he can do most questions faster than me. Kinda sucks.
Reply 17
No, I have heard of so many that cheat their way to get more time!

Just because they normally don't finish their essays or whatever on time doesn't mean they should get EXTRA! I never finish mine but you have to practice and deal with it imo.

Extra time can be the difference in your grades and give someone an unfair advantage over you esp if they don't truly need it.
Reply 18
Original post by Anmol_.
I don't think so unless you have a disability. Having extra time because you write too slow is wrong.

I have ADHD and Autism also have a slow writing speed.
If you had extra time in your exams, (for those who don't already have it) do you genuinely think you would get significantly better grades?

Latest