The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimmy Seville
I just find the two faced nature of politicians deplorable especially Tories. Every single one of them in Parliament votes for cuts in disability allowance every week, then turns around and expects the people they are campaigning for in their local area to vote for them.

Tories were openly laughing and mocking Corbyn when he read letters from the general public in his first Prime Ministers questions. Makes me wonder how anyone can vote for them when they blatantly don't give a **** about the people they are supposed to represent.

Brb uses pmq's to judge politicians in general. Knowledge of politics must be strong....
90% of MP are decent people who could be earning MUCH more in the private sector but want to make a difference. Shame it's the 10% who are career politician who go the furthest in the party and have 99% of articles written about them...
Original post by sevchenko
If we left the EU the UK would be a less attractive market long and short term. The current value of our GDP incorporates the economic benefits the EU brings us, the value will go down if we lose those benefits.

If we leave the EU because we lose free movement of goods. Once a non EU produced commodity enters a EU nation, it can move freely within the EU from then on. Inter trading within the EU via the UK becomes alot less viable and unattractive to non EU nations because of the inevitable tariff on goods going from the UK to the EU that will occur if we leave.

Who knows how many existing trade deals will have to be renegotiated if we leave. There no chance of a free trade deal with the EU, you can't cherry pick the best features of the internal market whilst disregarding others. Read somewhere that nearly 50% of UK exports are brought by EU members

Also leaving the EU will create a political divide with Scotland. The Scots would have the right to demand another referendum on their independence and they would most likely leave the Union if the UK left the EU.

see, at the moment I am really not sure about this.

I cant decide, or even begin to understand how people can decide about this issue, because it is completly unkown. It feels like we are voting out of instinct, rather then factual knowledge.

For instance take your point about trade deals..

You say: Trade deals cant be negotiated with the EU to the level they are currently at, due to the EU not letting us cherry pick the best deals, and 50% of our exports going to them..

Out campaigners say: Trade deals can be renegotiated with the EU because it is in their best interest, as they export far more to us then we do to them, and their economy cant take the hit...

Who is right? Well we actually have no idea. Serriously, you may think you know.. but you dont. and neither do I. Litteraly, the one you agree with will be the one that fits on the side your beliefs/instinct tells you is right, because beyond that we are blind..

Who does know the answer to these questions? well maybe heads of state/EU officials etc. but all of them are biased beyond belief by their personal interests in the campaign, so they will never tell you exactly what they think about the question at hand.

And its like this for each and every point about leaving... when your aguing a certainty against an unknown, you cant make a clear conclusion, because on half is simply a situation we do not know anything about, beyond speculation and predictions given to us by parties with vested interest.

--

The scottish point is interesting, but for me not one that comes into it. I have resigned as an english person that scotland will one day be indipendant.. I cant see any other way, 40 odd percent wanting it is to large a group to ever turn back from.. especially after the general election, and with the torries in power. It will happen with or without europe, and brexit may just make it happen sooner.

--

Really for me, factual arguements about what will happen are out of the question, as we do not know any of the terms for leaving.. so it comes down to simple ideology, and even on that I am split.

The ideas of indipendance are enticing, with full democratic control, etc.

But so are the ideas of working together, pulling our influence, creating a community of countries.

Immagration does not really come into it, as honestly I dont think it will change either way..

So I am really just torn between the two.

But for me, anyone who claims that their predictions for what would happen when they leave, who is not a goverment minister/ITK (...yeah.) is just letting their own personal preference cloud their judgement and hide the reality that we simply do not know.
Reply 1562
@swirly@zKlown@Dirtybit
Mad scenes. Well gassed. Cant wait.
1:50

[video="youtube;Toam5br4lBE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toam5br4lBE[/video]
Reply 1563
Failed driving test today. Had 1 minor as well and the major was for something so avoidable it pisses me off.
Reply 1564
Original post by Rk2k14
@swirly@zKlown@Dirtybit

[video="youtube;Toam5br4lBE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toam5br4lBE[/video]

You prick

Didn't even quote man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1565
Original post by SA-1
You prick

Didn't even quote man

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought you left...
Original post by Rk2k14
@swirly@zKlown@Dirtybit

Was just about to post this, going to be fuming if they kill ghost.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Failed driving test today. Had 1 minor as well and the major was for something so avoidable it pisses me off.

I'm so disappointed in you for only just taking your driving test
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Was just about to post this, going to be fuming if they kill ghost.

who tf is ghost ffs.

Ghost is in Power.

#FoTD
Standard girl you'll see in any half-decent club
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Standard girl you'll see in any half-decent club

hence the fap of the day, not the fap of the decade. ffs Kenan do you even comprehend time
Original post by swirly
who tf is ghost ffs.

Ghost is in Power.

Ghost is Jon's direwolf fool
Reply 1573
Man like Kenan:colonhash:
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Ghost is Jon's direwolf fool

oh do you know that from the books?

Swear its name is never mentioned on the show?
Original post by swirly

FFS swirly stop talking you're making yourself sound like a casual
Original post by swirly

Can't tell if just sarcastic or do you even GoT bro?
Reply 1577
Original post by swirly

Do you even watch the show ffs.

Doesn't know why they killed Jon.
Doesn't know R + L = J.
Doesn't know who Ghost is.

[video="youtube;Sf_UkrbsLg4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf_UkrbsLg4[/video]
9/10th July schedule

Euro 2016 final
Wimbledon final
Diaz v McGregor
Fury v Klitschko

:coma:
Reply 1579
Original post by sr90
9/10th July schedule

Euro 2016 final
Wimbledon final
Diaz v McGregor
Fury v Klitschko

:coma:

Forgot Women's Wimbledon final (sexist af)
British Grand Prix.

Latest