The Student Room Group
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio
As university degrees become more common, would you say that going to a Russell Group university is/will soon be the only really valuable choice?

I have an offer from Bath University for Chemistry, and Bath is notoriously an excellent, non-RG university. But I'm starting to wonder if it will limit career prospects after university. Is it worth applying through UCAS extra for another place?

No

/thread
RG isn't anything to get overly worked up about. When you take out the Golden Triangle of universities the RG list becomes a lot less impressive. Bath is a better university than several ones in the RG and from what I've heard it has excellent employment prospects. I personally wouldn't risk a place there. Of course if there's another university you'd rather go to then you should pursue your goals.
(edited 8 years ago)
As university degrees become more common, would you say that going to a Russell Group university is/will soon be the only really valuable choice?

I have an offer from Bath University for Chemistry, and Bath is notoriously an excellent, non-RG university. But I'm starting to wonder if it will limit career prospects after university. Is it worth applying through UCAS extra for another place?

you just answered your own question bro
I really don't get the hype about "Russell Group"

Some of the unis are good, sure. But the others are on the same level as if not worse than some non RG unis
Reply 5
Original post by CheetahCurtis
No

/thread

Your directness has sold me.

Original post by RayApparently
RG isn't anything to get overly worked up about. When you take out the Golden Triangle of universities the RG list becomes a lot less impressive. Bath is a better university than several ones in the RG and from what I've heard it has excellent employment prospects. I personally wouldn't risk a place there. Of course if there's another university you'd rather go to then you should pursue your goals.

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense, and I'm probably worrying needlessly

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense, and I'm probably worrying needlessly

:yy:

If you were applying for post-grad Chemistry then you'd probably have more reason to want to look into RG universities as they do a lot of research. The RG is best thought of as a trade union for universities. By banding together they can get better deals from the government. Their membership is not based on the quality of the university though (at least not at the undergrad level).
Reply 7

If you are the type of person that puts weight on league tables and rankings (which you clearly do), then take note that, for Chemistry, Bath ranks above a lot of Russell Group Universities - it ranks above UCL and KCL, among others.

Russell Group are not the only valuable choice, they really aren't.
Wtf is a Russel Group Uni anyway?
Original post by Zain-A

One of these:

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/
Russell group was a marketing ploy set up by a group of universities who traditionally had most of the research funding. In the early 1990s the government opened up higher education to allow more establishments to become universities and fearing they would lose their research funding the older universities set up the Russell Group to protect their funding. Shortly after another group of universities set up the 1994 group to protect their interests. Included in that group were Durham, Exeter, York, St Andrews, Bath, Lancaster, Loughborough and others. In 2012 Durham, Exeter, York and St Marys left to join the Russell Group. prior to this there were more 1994 group members in the top 15 universities than RG. Durham,Exeter and York are no better now than they were in 2012. Bath, St Andrews and Lancaster have not suddenly got worse by not joining the RG. Please don't be fooled by the very successful RG marketing ploy. There are many unis outside the Russell Group as good if not better than some of the RG universities. Bath is an excellent university and if you are happy to study there go for it. It has one of the highest student satisfaction rate and one of the best employment rates of any university. It has excellent links with business and many of their courses include a year in industry which boosts employment rates. Ultimately the decision is yours but don't make your decision on whether a university is an RG or not or what the league tables say. There is actually very little to choose amongst the top 30 or so universities
Original post by Zain-A

A self-declared group of unis who claim to be the best, despite rankings and student voices frequently saying otherwise.

It's like in school when you get a bunch of kids who self declare they are better than everyone else.
RG is only important for particular careers, like law for example. Outside of this Bath is an excellent uni (I live locally) so for your subject there won't be any issues.

Latest

Trending

Trending