The Student Room Group

Can I be a doctor and a banker?

I am currently in year 11 and I am going to start sixth form in September to study Maths, Biology, Economics and Chemistry. I feel that this is a great range of subjects for my future career.

I have heard of how long the medical career is so I was wondering if it is possible for me to train to become a banker at the same time as training to become a doctor or is it virtually impossible?

Any tips or advice will be taken into consideration. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Really difficult to do because they're completely different. Even if you managed you'd most likely be weak at both. Concentrate on one.
Reply 2
why not be a lawyer too

and a footballer

no, just do one.
Please don't chase money that badly
Original post by TheYearThrowaway
I am currently in year 11 and I am going to start sixth form in September to study Maths, Biology, Economics and Chemistry. I feel that this is a great range of subjects for my future career.

I have heard of how long the medical career is so I was wondering if it is possible for me to train to become a banker at the same time as training to become a doctor or is it virtually impossible?

Nope as medical school interviewers would see your reasons are all wrong
literally, if you only do something for the money, you'll not only have no happiness, but chances are you won't even get the money. it's a waste of time.
No impossible and also if u wanted a degree u couldn't do two degrees at once when one is medicine

The two careers require completely different mindsets and sets of skills. To succeed at either takes a lot of hard work and effort and nobody on this planet would be able to pull that off. Choose one and put 110% into it because they both require 100% of your effort
Original post by Serine Soul

Listen, I have heard how doctors find jobs once they are in their early 30's, late 20's, but bankers can earn a lot more than doctors whilst doing less work and being younger. So I really don't know what is the best as they are both great in my opinion.
No bitch don't be greedy
aka the asian dream
Listen, I have heard how doctors find jobs once they are in their early 30's, late 20's, but bankers can earn a lot more than doctors whilst doing less work and being younger. So I really don't know what is the best as they are both great in my opinion.

bankers can (and often do) work stupid hours..
I want to do both because if I become a doctor i'll find it great and rewarding but banking is basically easy money so i'm stuck between those two.

I'm sure it's possible for me to be a junior doctor and train part time for banking?
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
No bitch don't be greedy

It's not being greedy.
Mate calm down see how you do at a level first
Original post by Serine Soul

Money is love. Money is life.

Write down the pros and cons of each and decide.
The fact that you think it is a serious possibility that you can do both makes us question whether you can do either of these jobs which requires intelligence and basic common sense
Original post by Hydeman
Money is love. Money is life.

I saw a rather interesting post on Twitter today (ignore David Cameron)

IMG_20160408_215801.jpg
Original post by Youngmetro
The fact that you think it is a serious possibility that you can do both makes us question whether you can do either of these jobs which requires intelligence and basic common sense

Honestly I believe anything is possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending