The Student Room Group

GCSE grades required for University

I've been told most of my academic life that my GCSEs will have no impact on my University choice as universities don't care about GCSE and instead look at your A Levels. Well now that I'm actually looking at Universities and entry requirements, I've realized that alot of universities require Cs or Bs in Maths, even if the subjects aren't "Mathy" per se.

Now my GCSE grades weren't the worst by most measurements, although I expected to get alot better, but I only got a C in Maths, but I was 1 mark off a B, I got it remarked but despite that it was still a C. Would a university that requires a B in Maths penalize me massively or completely reject my application once seeing my C even if I explain it was a mark off, even if my A level grades are at or even exceed the entry requirements?
Original post by ThisIsArty
I've been told most of my academic life that my GCSEs will have no impact on my University choice as universities don't care about GCSE and instead look at your A Levels. Well now that I'm actually looking at Universities and entry requirements, I've realized that alot of universities require Cs or Bs in Maths, even if the subjects aren't "Mathy" per se.

Now my GCSE grades weren't the worst by most measurements, although I expected to get alot better, but I only got a C in Maths, but I was 1 mark off a B, I got it remarked but despite that it was still a C. Would a university that requires a B in Maths penalize me massively or completely reject my application once seeing my C even if I explain it was a mark off, even if my A level grades are at or even exceed the entry requirements?

Unfortunately, universities aren't ones to budge on gcse requirements very often especially for competitive courses. Asking for a C in maths and a C in english is actually standard for every university.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Unfortunately, universities aren't ones to budge on gcse requirements very often especially for competitive courses. Asking for a C in maths and a C in english is actually standard for every university.

I got a C and was one off a B, and the course I want requires a B, so it's not like I didn't even pass maths. hm, that's really unfortunate, but thanks!
I got a C and was one off a B, and the course I want requires a B, so it's not like I didn't even pass maths. hm, that's really unfortunate, but thanks!

You can send them an email and ask whether not they'd accept a resit but otherwise not much else you can do, sorry

I didn't have even a C (didn't even have the chance thank you very much SQA) but I went for a HND first then topped up to a full BSc (the HMD was ran in the uni) could you not do that

Posted from TSR Mobile
if a university specifies a GCSE grade you would normally have to get that grade by resitting if necessary. You don't state what subject you are applying for but generally most will accept you for courses with GCSE Maths grade C unless there is a Maths component. I know of universities who accepted someone last year for History without Maths GCSE and someone currently holding an offer for Computer Studies with a C in Maths. If you need more help on this PM me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending