The Student Room Group

Birmingham Vs Durham Vs Edinburgh Vs Sheffield?

I have applied for history v100 and have been made offers from all these universities bar Durham which I have yet to hear back from. I think I've ruled out Sheffield as I way prefer the other three..Any advice on which of these I should pick would be really helpful?

I know in the league tables it goes Durham>Birmingham>Sheffield> Edinburgh but since these are all Russell group and seem to swap with one another each year I don't want to base too much emphasis on league table results.

I think I'm saying towards Birmingham as the course seems strong and I fell in love with the campus ( plus I have an unconditional which takes the pressure off)... But I liked all the uni's and Durham and Edinburgh are such beautiful cities and more well known globally?

Whats important to me is a strong reputation and academic stance, good job prospects, an attractive city or campus and a good social and sports life.

Help?
Original post by sa13
I have applied for history v100 and have been made offers from all these universities bar Durham which I have yet to hear back from. I think I've ruled out Sheffield as I way prefer the other three..Any advice on which of these I should pick would be really helpful?

I know in the league tables it goes Durham>Birmingham>Sheffield> Edinburgh but since these are all Russell group and seem to swap with one another each year I don't want to base too much emphasis on league table results.

I think I'm saying towards Birmingham as the course seems strong and I fell in love with the campus ( plus I have an unconditional which takes the pressure off)... But I liked all the uni's and Durham and Edinburgh are such beautiful cities and more well known globally?

Whats important to me is a strong reputation and academic stance, good job prospects, an attractive city or campus and a good social and sports life.

Help?

All would be good choices overall. Have a close look at the modules offered at each. Imagine yourself there and choose which ones you would choose each term or semester. Does one uni make you study time periods you don't like? Does one of them have really interesting options?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Will any of them open any more doors career wise?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
All would be good choices overall. Have a close look at the modules offered at each. Imagine yourself there and choose which ones you would choose each term or semester. Does one uni make you study time periods you don't like? Does one of them have really interesting options?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I prefer more modern history and have mainly studied this at school but all the universities have compulsory modules in medieval in the first year to give students the scope of history. So in that sense all do have modules that I'm not so sure on in first year but I think they will be beneficial.... Birmingham, Durham and Sheffield have some pretty cool options. Edinburgh's course seems to jump around a lot more and seems a lot less structured and more scattered but maybe that's just because its a 4 year course and the others are 3?
Durham is probably better respected, followed by Edinburgh and then the other two. Pick the course that suits you but keep in mind Durham is above the other three
Reply 5
The league table is meaningless in your case. Where would you prefer to live in the next three years? A small town or a big city?
Reply 6
Original post by Josb
The league table is meaningless in your case. Where would you prefer to live in the next three years? A small town or a big city?

I think a big city but Durham has such a strong reputation for history
Reply 7
Original post by sa13

And check the rents, they have increased them over the years. After your first year, you'll have to find a flat in the town and that may be tricky.
Reply 8
Original post by sa13

The reputation is meaningless in that case. Edinburgh, Birmingham and Durham are Russell Group with good reputation.A better league table ranking isn't going to give you any advantage, whether you apply for a job or a master.
Go where you prefer the profs, courses structure, and city.
Reply 9
Thanks for all you comments, I've just firmed the University of Birmingham.

I ended up narrowing it down to Edinburgh or Birmingham. I went up and visited both unis a few weeks ago on their post-offer days. I know there isn't much between them academically so I thought I'd look at the course and cities more . Both cities were fantastic in very different ways. Edinburgh as you would expect was very impressive and historic with lovely views. For anyone who hasn't visited Birmingham recently I would recommend going! The center has all been redone and is now amazing for shopping, restaurants and night life with a great mix of new and old architecture.

Edinburgh was a lovely city but the uni really didn't feel right for me. I felt so much more at home at the University of Birmingham with it being a campus uni rather than a city uni like Edinburgh and I decided I preferred the accommodation, buildings, sports facilities, overall feel and most importantly the history course at Birmingham.

:biggrin:
Original post by sa13
Thanks for all you comments, I've just firmed the University of Birmingham.

I ended up narrowing it down to Edinburgh or Birmingham. I went up and visited both unis a few weeks ago on their post-offer days. I know there isn't much between them academically so I thought I'd look at the course and cities more . Both cities were fantastic in very different ways. Edinburgh as you would expect was very impressive and historic with lovely views. For anyone who hasn't visited Birmingham recently I would recommend going! The center has all been redone and is now amazing for shopping, restaurants and night life with a great mix of new and old architecture.

Edinburgh was a lovely city but the uni really didn't feel right for me. I felt so much more at home at the University of Birmingham with it being a campus uni rather than a city uni like Edinburgh and I decided I preferred the accommodation, buildings, sports facilities, overall feel and most importantly the history course at Birmingham.

:biggrin:

Sounds like you made a good choice by going with the uni that you felt happiest at and what matters most when it comes to employment post uni is what you have to offer, in terms of work experience, soft skills e.c.t
Reply 11
Original post by jelly1000
Sounds like you made a good choice by going with the uni that you felt happiest at and what matters most when it comes to employment post uni is what you have to offer, in terms of work experience, soft skills e.c.t

Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending