The Student Room Group

Car Hunting- I Can't Do This Anymore

Hello all,

So I am really struggling to buy a car. I passed my test around May 2015 and started car hunting during the summer. Since then I have visited many dealerships and test driven cars but find myself unable to find one I actually want to buy. I have gotten close to buying a car before (Suzuki Swift) but the gas peddle for some reason really hurt my foot so I chose to walk away. Its not that I don't have the desire to buy a car (it would really help me to get to work) but I find myself getting anxious when car hunting. I end up freezing up. I don't trust the dealers and everyone seems to have so many different opinions on what makes a good car it gets very confusing. Its gotten to the point when I feel like I am unable to buy a car. I feel stressed, alone and disappointed in myself. Getting your first car is meant to be a positive thing but this just seems to be a nightmare. Has anyone else felt like this or is it just me?

Any advice/ comments would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

I got my first car from a dealer at someone's house. He was very nice, let me take the car on a test drive and once we'd finished I decided that it was the car I wanted (it's in great condition and has low miles + it's a bit unique for younger drivers). I bought it that day and collected it around 5 days later. That was and still is my car and I've had no issues at all with it.
You've just got to be brave and trust the dealers. If you don't then take a good look around the car you're interested in to see if there are any faults or anything. You can even get it checked over by a mechanic or someone who's trained to do that.
But you're just gonna have to do it one day if you want to buy a car. Not all car salesmen are bad, you will be able to tell immediately if they are bad because they'll try to make you buy some other car that you don't want. Good ones will sit down with you and will let you look at the car, drive it and come to a decision on it.
Reply 2
Thank you for replying so quickly. Hearing your experience is very helpful. It makes me realise that maybe buying a car is not as scary as I think. If other people can find good cars then there must be some out there! How did you know it was the car for you? I guess I am looking for a eureka moment but am failing to get it. Did you have a eureka moment?

I find car dealers quite intimidating. I feel like they are just trying to make quick sale and its hard to put your trust in a complete stranger. I am probably going to get someone to come and check the car just for piece of mind. Buying a car will be the biggest thing I have bought and I think it is just overwhelming me a little. I do need to trust them. I guess I just need to have a little faith and courage.
Original post by Kayayee1
Thank you for replying so quickly. Hearing your experience is very helpful. It makes me realise that maybe buying a car is not as scary as I think. If other people can find good cars then there must be some out there! How did you know it was the car for you? I guess I am looking for a eureka moment but am failing to get it. Did you have a eureka moment?

I find car dealers quite intimidating. I feel like they are just trying to make quick sale and its hard to put your trust in a complete stranger. I am probably going to get someone to come and check the car just for piece of mind. Buying a car will be the biggest thing I have bought and I think it is just overwhelming me a little. I do need to trust them. I guess I just need to have a little faith and courage.

No worries. It wasn't scary, I was excited tbh because I love cars and have always wanted one.
Indeed. There are plenty of good cars out there. Have you seen anything that you like since the Swift?
I've seen lots of those cars before for a few hundred quid less that have been total rubbish. Something flew off the bottom of one of the ones I drove. This one was immaculate when I saw it for the first time. There were a couple of scratches but I was expecting that (the car is 9 years old). I had a particular car in mind for what I wanted (a Fiat Grande Punto). I ended up buying this one and then realising it was a special edition model. I was really happy when I discovered that! I guess it was a eureka moment.

I do to tbh. This one was different to all the others I'd seen before. He was super nice and we spoke about Motorsport (we both love it).
I think a lot of them are trying to make a quick sale. It's their job though. They want to sell as many cars as they possibly can.
That's a wise idea. I didn't do it with mine because the guy said it was all good. He wasn't wrong although I'm gonna need a new exhaust soon before mine rusts away.
Buying a car was a big step for me. It was also the biggest thing I've ever bought. If you get a good deal on a great car that you like, you won't regret it!
One day when you see a car you like and you've made up your mind, just go for it and ask them if you can buy it.
Reply 4
Original post by FireFreezer77
No worries. It wasn't scary, I was excited tbh because I love cars and have always wanted one.
Indeed. There are plenty of good cars out there. Have you seen anything that you like since the Swift?
I've seen lots of those cars before for a few hundred quid less that have been total rubbish. Something flew off the bottom of one of the ones I drove. This one was immaculate when I saw it for the first time. There were a couple of scratches but I was expecting that (the car is 9 years old). I had a particular car in mind for what I wanted (a Fiat Grande Punto). I ended up buying this one and then realising it was a special edition model. I was really happy when I discovered that! I guess it was a eureka moment.

I do to tbh. This one was different to all the others I'd seen before. He was super nice and we spoke about Motorsport (we both love it).
I think a lot of them are trying to make a quick sale. It's their job though. They want to sell as many cars as they possibly can.
That's a wise idea. I didn't do it with mine because the guy said it was all good. He wasn't wrong although I'm gonna need a new exhaust soon before mine rusts away.
Buying a car was a big step for me. It was also the biggest thing I've ever bought. If you get a good deal on a great car that you like, you won't regret it!
One day when you see a car you like and you've made up your mind, just go for it and ask them if you can buy it.

Yes I have been looking at the Renault Clio’s recently as my friend has one and says they are very reliable. I will probably check that car out next time. I have found that it is definitely better to go to a dealership with a particular car in mind as otherwise I just end up wandering around aimlessly. Sounds like you had a bargain. I looked at a Fiat Punto before and they are nice cars and have a good reputation. I suppose I will know it when I see it too.

Indeed. I just don’t like it when they try to rush a sale. They always seem to insist that other people are interested in buying the car but this is not true as the car is usually still there a week later. Hopefully I will find a car soon. I just need to have a bit more drive and see it through when I see a car. Usually I sort of like a car but never love it enough to get it in the end. They just don't feel right.
Reply 5
What do you actually want from a car?

No doubt you're looking at the usual crummy hatchbacks kids go for these days.
Have you considered something a bit more comfortable to sit in than a box with a bolt upright seat?

Get yourself down to one of the car supermarkets where the sales staff leave you alone and just wander around. Jump in things and play with the seats and make sure you can press the pedals fully.

Look at all sorts of things not just small cars. Looks at stuff a little bigger - bigger cars = more comfort and more room (usually). Also have a sit in a couple of sports cars and see how you like those.

Car supermarkets are massively overpriced but you can go on a few test drives and see what you like. Work out the make / model you like then go and buy one privately from an old boy with low miles.
I would also advise taking someone with you when you go to look with experience of buying used cars. I took my Dad and it helped to have a second person test drive and to have someone else there to ask any necessary questions. And some things, like the gas pedal hurting you foot, are probably things that you'll get used to. Most cars have a few kinks but after a while you just get used to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I have been looking at the Renault Clio’s recently as my friend has one and says they are very reliable. I will probably check that car out next time. I have found that it is definitely better to go to a dealership with a particular car in mind as otherwise I just end up wandering around aimlessly. Sounds like you had a bargain. I looked at a Fiat Punto before and they are nice cars and have a good reputation. I suppose I will know it when I see it too.

Indeed. I just don’t like it when they try to rush a sale. They always seem to insist that other people are interested in buying the car but this is not true as the car is usually still there a week later. Hopefully I will find a car soon. I just need to have a bit more drive and see it through when I see a car. Usually I sort of like a car but never love it enough to get it in the end. They just don't feel right.

Clios are decent cars. I did look at getting one but decided I wanted something different.
They're not the most reliable cars in the world (neithers mine tbh), but there are lots which are a hell of a lot worse. It's personal preference as to what car you want to buy.
Yes it is. I'd seen the car I liked on their website and arranged to go and have a look at it. So the dealer knew who I was and what I was there for. You couldn't go to that place without arranging a visit first though.
I think I did. It was more than I was wanting to spend on my first car but it was in excellent condition and I'd seen what else was out there (nothing compared to how good this car was).
They are really nice and mine passed its MOT in December without incident.

No it's really irritating. I guess they only want certain people to buy that car. They shouldn't do it but they do. If I saw a car I liked and wanted to buy, nothing's gonna stop me buying it. I would probably kick off if he wouldn't let me have it for no apparent reason (I really love cars).
Yeah i get what you mean there. I think everyone experiences that. I know I did. You will find one soon that you will feel is perfect for you.
Original post by JC.
What do you actually want from a car?

No doubt you're looking at the usual crummy hatchbacks kids go for these days.
Have you considered something a bit more comfortable to sit in than a box with a bolt upright seat?

Get yourself down to one of the car supermarkets where the sales staff leave you alone and just wander around. Jump in things and play with the seats and make sure you can press the pedals fully.

Look at all sorts of things not just small cars. Looks at stuff a little bigger - bigger cars = more comfort and more room (usually). Also have a sit in a couple of sports cars and see how you like those.

Car supermarkets are massively overpriced but you can go on a few test drives and see what you like. Work out the make / model you like then go and buy one privately from an old boy with low miles.

Sigh.

You forget what it's like to have just passed your test, I'm assuming it's been a long time :tongue:

You do not want to go for a bigger car, have some understanding! I'd rather sacrifice some comfort and go for a car that's easier to manoeuvre. My little Micra (try not to dry heave) has managed to squeeze in the tiniest, most awkward of parking spaces at times when I wasn't confident in doing a reverse park. Little cars are so much easier to handle for the inexperienced, why do you think we learn in them?

Sit in sports cars :rofl: You're such a petrol head that you really give bad advice.

What age Clio?

Honestly if you're looking at the older ones they are nice looking cars but so unreliable. I know so many people who have had electrical faults with them, and when I was hunting for my car most dealers advised against them. My sister had one and it used to completely cut out at completely random times, not nice for a new driver!

Although I think the newer ones are much more reliable.
Hello all,

Its gotten to the point when I feel like I am unable to buy a car. I feel stressed, alone and disappointed in myself.

You sound like you need ice cream.

Also, just keep looking. Don't know what kind of car you're looking for, but I hear a 2010+ Mazda 2 Auto is a nice first car.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do not buy a car brand new!!!. It will be your first car so you will more than likely scratch it and knock it a few times.

I would say go for a nice VW golf or polo as they are very reliable and looks good for a first car. They are very reliable and good on fuel. I drive a VW gold TDI and get 65MPG which is amazing. It has never caused me any problems and servicing it is nice and cheap.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Sigh.

You forget what it's like to have just passed your test, I'm assuming it's been a long time :tongue:

You do not want to go for a bigger car, have some understanding! I'd rather sacrifice some comfort and go for a car that's easier to manoeuvre. My little Micra (try not to dry heave) has managed to squeeze in the tiniest, most awkward of parking spaces at times when I wasn't confident in doing a reverse park. Little cars are so much easier to handle for the inexperienced, why do you think we learn in them?

Sit in sports cars :rofl: You're such a petrol head that you really give bad advice.

Not to mention that the smaller the engine the cheaper the insurance. Insurance isn't exactly cheaper when you're a first time driver. --- I'm planning on getting a Kia Picanto when I pass. It's a small 1ltr and the insurance is cheap and is actually pretty nice to drive.
Original post by francismcgowan
Do not buy a car brand new!!!. It will be your first car so you will more than likely scratch it and knock it a few times.

I would say go for a nice VW golf or polo as they are very reliable and looks good for a first car. They are very reliable and good on fuel. I drive a VW gold TDI and get 65MPG which is amazing. It has never caused me any problems and servicing it is nice and cheap.

I've been driving for over 4 years and have never knocked it or scratched any of my car's . any decent driver should be able to keep a car without incurring damage to it.
Original post by XMaramena
You sound like you need ice cream.

Also, just keep looking. Don't know what kind of car you're looking for, but I hear a 2010+ Mazda 2 Auto is a nice first car.

LOOOL ! @ need an ice cream !
love it
Reply 14
Sigh.

My first car was a sports car. That's about as small as you can get...
Medium sized cars are cheaper to insure and you get a better car for the money on the used market.

Micra's are crummy little turds. Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Companys have them as learner cars as they are the cheapest to buy new. That's the only reason. If a bigger car were cheaper that's what they'd go for.

Thinking about it, my other half's first car was a sports car too. Well, depends on whether you class a 911 as a sports car or a super car...
Original post by johannarebecca7
Not to mention that the smaller the engine the cheaper the insurance. Insurance isn't exactly cheaper when you're a first time driver. --- I'm planning on getting a Kia Picanto when I pass. It's a small 1ltr and the insurance is cheap and is actually pretty nice to drive.

I have a Kia Pictanto for my first car right now! It's a lovely drive and has been reliable so far so you'll love yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JC.
My first car was a sports car. That's about as small as you can get...
Medium sized cars are cheaper to insure and you get a better car for the money on the used market.

Micra's are crummy little turds. Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Companys have them as learner cars as they are the cheapest to buy new. That's the only reason. If a bigger car were cheaper that's what they'd go for.

Thinking about it, my other half's first car was a sports car too. Well, depends on whether you class a 911 as a sports car or a super car...

How detached are you from reality Hun. How much did your first car cost? And obviously it would have been cheaper back then..
Hello all,

So I am really struggling to buy a car. I passed my test around May 2015 and started car hunting during the summer. Since then I have visited many dealerships and test driven cars but find myself unable to find one I actually want to buy. I have gotten close to buying a car before (Suzuki Swift) but the gas peddle for some reason really hurt my foot so I chose to walk away. Its not that I don't have the desire to buy a car (it would really help me to get to work) but I find myself getting anxious when car hunting. I end up freezing up. I don't trust the dealers and everyone seems to have so many different opinions on what makes a good car it gets very confusing. Its gotten to the point when I feel like I am unable to buy a car. I feel stressed, alone and disappointed in myself. Getting your first car is meant to be a positive thing but this just seems to be a nightmare. Has anyone else felt like this or is it just me?

You never CHOSE to walk away. You HAD to walk away.

Spoiler

Reply 18
How detached are you from reality Hun. How much did your first car cost? And obviously it would have been cheaper back then..

I'm perfectly in tune with reality.
You are just a sheep.
Original post by I love life
I've been driving for over 4 years and have never knocked it or scratched any of my car's . any decent driver should be able to keep a car without incurring damage to it.

Well I must be an awful driver then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending