The Student Room Group

My AS level study log- path to 4A's!

Scroll to see replies

Good luck with your AS levels, I did Chem bio maths and German last year and got my 4 As. If you have any questions about the Chem or bio just ask. If you guys run out of past papers don't forget to do the legacy ones they usually go all the way back to 2003 and you can find more online. Also do some papers from other boards as it can give you an idea of any unexpected curve balls they can throw at you in the exam. Don't forget also to do ALL PAPERS under exam conditions to emulate that exam feeling and make sure to give yourself the full time allotted for the papers to read through and check your basic arithmetic and stuff often the difference between full marks and 70/75 is just one silly mistake like rounding in calcs before the final answer! Good luck again :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by James_mc
Good luck with your AS levels, I did Chem bio maths and German last year and got my 4 As. If you have any questions about the Chem or bio just ask. If you guys run out of past papers don't forget to do the legacy ones they usually go all the way back to 2003 and you can find more online. Also do some papers from other boards as it can give you an idea of any unexpected curve balls they can throw at you in the exam. Don't forget also to do ALL PAPERS under exam conditions to emulate that exam feeling and make sure to give yourself the full time allotted for the papers to read through and check your basic arithmetic and stuff often the difference between full marks and 70/75 is just one silly mistake like rounding in calcs before the final answer! Good luck again :smile:

Thank you for the advice, I always do my papers with no phone or getting up to eat or read etc. Well done on the 4As, good luck with your A2s.

How much were you revising in the build up to exams? And what was your preferred method for chemistry revision, and how did you memorise all the inorganic chemistry trends? I did get 4 As in my mocks and I'm feeling pretty confident in maths, but I just want to ensure my physics and chemistry mainly, so do you have any overall bits of advice?
Original post by richpanda
Thank you for the advice, I always do my papers with no phone or getting up to eat or read etc. Well done on the 4As, good luck with your A2s.

How much were you revising in the build up to exams? And what was your preferred method for chemistry revision, and how did you memorise all the inorganic chemistry trends? I did get 4 As in my mocks and I'm feeling pretty confident in maths, but I just want to ensure my physics and chemistry mainly, so do you have any overall bits of advice?
No problem and thanks :smile: well my revision for chemistry was pretty much just doing every past paper similar to you, for tedious facts and definitions I used a website called Memrise there are some really sets on there. I think general advice do a good bit of work but leave yourself some time for chill, AS levels aren't that bad and you'll be fine if you have a general understanding :tongue: for French listen to some French music that helped me with my German :smile:
Reply 63
03/04/2016

Done a good 2.5 hours this morning from half 9 to just past 12, doing 1 past paper and 2 bits of revision on physics and chemistry. The only things I have left on my schedule are a french and a physics past papers, but I might do some extra chemistry, perhaps in the form of watching videos.

Edexcel Chemistry Unit June 2011- 65/80, reasonably pleased, I'm only just starting to finish all the content in chemistry.

OCR Physics June 2010- 65/100, really pleased especially as I haven't even completely finished this module.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 64
04/04/2016

Done 1 past paper this morning but was out until lunch time. I'm now just relaxing then at 2 I'm going to do 4 hours straight until 6 when I'll eat. I'll probably try and do another hour, and some exercise after tea.

Edexcel Maths January 2008: C1- 69/75, C2- 71/75, M1- 70/75
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
05/04/2016

Woke up really late, but pretty much back on track now. I've done a chemistry and a physics paper, and I still have another chemistry paper, a french paper and some chemistry revision to do as of noon. I may do some extra chemistry revision (or physics) too.

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 2 January 2012- 67/80, pretty pleased with this. On the old spec they have loads of questions on the ozone layer, which I don't believe is in the new spec so this usually costs me a few marks.

OCR Physics Unit 4 January 2011- 55/100, I'm also quite happy with this as a high proportion of the questions were on Quantum physics, which I haven't covered yet.

Edexcel Chemistry Unit 1 June 2010- 75/80, nice score but it should probably actually be 76 due to a question no longer on the spec

Edexcel French Unit 2 January 2012- 35/40, didn't do the essay at the end as I had already done it separately do I deducted that from the overall score. Surprised I actually did French for once.

I'm going to play a bit of football, then I have (hopefully) my last bit of AS level chemistry content to learn (as in to see for the first time), meaning after tonight all I should be doing for chemistry is revision and practice. This is also the case for maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Good Luck Richpanda keep going ^_^
Reply 67
Original post by ChiefKwen
Good Luck Richpanda keep going ^_^

Cheers, I really like your blog btw. We're doing similar subjects, so i hope we both do well!
Reply 68
You're working really hard, which is impressive! Your results are also coming along good :biggrin: I'm sure you will reach your targets going like this, good luck @richpanda 🙌:smile:
Reply 69
This is quite an important update so I thought I'd do it in a separate post to today's general summary post:

By tonight I will have finished the whole of the content in chemistry, meaning I should have covered everything in chemistry and maths. Therefore in those 2 subjects I will only be doing revision.

I only have the quantum physics section of physics left to do, and 1 unit in french. These could both be done quickly if I didn't feel confident in my teachers to finish them in what I feel is enough time.

I've started to draw up a list on Word of everything that I can think of doing to revise and practice before exams for each of my subjects. Once I've completed this list (hopefully by the end of saturday), I can implement all these things in to a calendar leading up to my exams, making sure I cover things in enough time.

Lastly, I don't believe I will be given study leave this year (this isn't just me, it would be the whole year) so I will be in a slightly different situation to others in year 12. Such is life.

Anyway, thank you if you are reading my study blog, please give me suggestions of things (outside the obvious) I can do before exams!
This is quite an important update so I thought I'd do it in a separate post to today's general summary post:

By tonight I will have finished the whole of the content in chemistry, meaning I should have covered everything in chemistry and maths. Therefore in those 2 subjects I will only be doing revision.

I only have the quantum physics section of physics left to do, and 1 unit in french. These could both be done quickly if I didn't feel confident in my teachers to finish them in what I feel is enough time.

I've started to draw up a list on Word of everything that I can think of doing to revise and practice before exams for each of my subjects. Once I've completed this list (hopefully by the end of saturday), I can implement all these things in to a calendar leading up to my exams, making sure I cover things in enough time.

Lastly, I don't believe I will be given study leave this year (this isn't just me, it would be the whole year) so I will be in a slightly different situation to others in year 12. Such is life.

Anyway, thank you if you are reading my study blog, please give me suggestions of things (outside the obvious) I can do before exams!

Wow you sure are moving along fast! Well done! I just made a few flash cards for some formulas on C2 and I dread thinking about the exam. Similar to S1 (you're so lucky you chose Mechanics). We still have around 4/5 chapters of organic chemistry left to do in school but I'm ahead of everyone else as I've practically given up on my school to help me with anything. Only my stats teacher, my German teacher and one of my biology teachers are of use. I'm not getting study leave either this year which sucks. I'll probably be spying on your blog every day just to see how your revision is going haha :tongue:
Reply 71
Original post by TianaEsther
Wow you sure are moving along fast! Well done! I just made a few flash cards for some formulas on C2 and I dread thinking about the exam. Similar to S1 (you're so lucky you chose Mechanics). We still have around 4/5 chapters of organic chemistry left to do in school but I'm ahead of everyone else as I've practically given up on my school to help me with anything. Only my stats teacher, my German teacher and one of my biology teachers are of use. I'm not getting study leave either this year which sucks. I'll probably be spying on your blog every day just to see how your revision is going haha :tongue:

Thanks, I know the feeling of useless teachers too. I didn't actually choose to do mechanics, everyone in my year has to do it. Next year I'll be able to choose between M2 and S1 though, leaning towards S1 despite how boring everyone says it is.
Reply 72
06/04/2016

I have 3 maths papers. a French paper and some physics revision to do today, I'm also going to be out for a bit so it'll be a busy day.
I will update probably towards 6 o'clock.

Edexcel Maths January 2009: C1- 70/75, C2- 67/75, M1- 69/75. Didn't have the best results but this may have been down to feeling really groggy this morning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks, I know the feeling of useless teachers too. I didn't actually choose to do mechanics, everyone in my year has to do it. Next year I'll be able to choose between M2 and S1 though, leaning towards S1 despite how boring everyone says it is.

Oh that's interesting, most people get the choice. Honestly, I would say save yourself and choose M2 (I've heard it's hard but you will probably die of boredom from S1). Good luck :smile:
Reply 74
07/04/2016

Eurghhhhh. I'm typing this as I eat an early lunch, mainly due to extreme boredom. I've had a pretty unproductive morning, all I've done is 1 french paper (which I did well on). The other paper I was planning to do I'd already done previously in the year, and then the backup paper had no markscheme, not on the edexcel website or anywhere else I looked.

To try and get out of this slump, I'm going to have my nice lunch, watch a film then get straight in to a chemistry, with absolutely no hanging around. In addition to the chemistry paper, I also have some french vocab to do, and some physics revision.

Edexcel French June 2012- 36/40. Happy.

Edexcel Chemistry June 2011- 74/80. I had done this one previously in the year, around december so I couldn't remember much at all.

I haven't really stuck to my plan today in the afternoon, I've started making my calendar/timetable/plan for everyday from Monday to my last exam. This was meant to be done at the weekend so it's kind of interchangeable with my Easter timetable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wow!! It's inspiring how motivated you are. I have a serious problem with procrastination. I could spend 2 hours 'revising' in which I will spend 10 minutes doing actual work and the rest of the time procrastinating. Any tips on overcoming my laziness?
Btw great job with your revision. I wish you all the best in your exams 👏🏼👏🏼
Thought doing something like this would help to motivate me and hopefully others, as well as helping me to actually track and plan what I've done/am going to do.

A bit about me; I'm in year 12 doing maths, french, chemistry and physics. I got pretty good GCSEs, even by TSR standards, and I'm expected to do well this year.

So far, my AS levels have been in general very good, but sometimes I'll feel really motivated, and other times completely drained and lethargic.

I have just done some mocks and I am currently still getting back my results:

Spoiler

Hi, I'm trying to motivate myself to do good in GCSE's what did you get in GCSE's?
Reply 77
Original post by doculmc7171
Wow!! It's inspiring how motivated you are. I have a serious problem with procrastination. I could spend 2 hours 'revising' in which I will spend 10 minutes doing actual work and the rest of the time procrastinating. Any tips on overcoming my laziness?
Btw great job with your revision. I wish you all the best in your exams 👏🏼👏🏼

Thank you, good luck to you too. The thing is I actually see myself as lazy. During this Easter, I've only ever done between 3.5 and 6 hours (usually about 5). For example this morning I've only done about 40 minutes.
Reply 78
08/04/2016

I've spent the first part of the morning finishing off my exam plan timetable. It seems pretty full, I hope I'm doing enough! Obviously there will be things that come up that I can add to my timetable, so I'll probably end up being busier than I planned.

Now I've got that out the way (it starts on Monday), I can just finish the last few things I planned to do over Easter today and at the weekend. There's also a piece of homework that's popped up that I hadn't seen before, but it won't take very long.

I'll update this post later today with what I've done.

Edexcel Chemistry June 2012 Unit 1- 73/80, Unit 2- 71/80. Pretty content with both of these.

OCR Physics A June 2011 Unit 4- 61/100. Really pleased with this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi! I have just joined the student room. Looks like you are doing really well with revision! I am also in year 12, pretty inspiring seeing how much you are getting through! Is doing past papers helpful?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending