The Student Room Group

Physics stationary waves question

I know that for a stationary wave to form, two waves must be travelling in opposite directions with same frequency, amplitude, and superpose... and i know this is usually done when the incident wave is reflected off a denser medium and so undergoes a phase change of 180 degrees, however, can stationary waves be formed between waves travelling in opposite directions where they are not 180 degrees out of phase? say a wave was reflected off a less dense medium and did not undergo inversion,,, would it still form a stationary wave with the incident wave?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Lola1244
I know that for a stationary wave to form, two waves must be travelling in opposite directions with same frequency, amplitude, and superpose... and i know this is usually done when the incident wave is reflected off a denser medium and so undergoes a phase change of 180 degrees, however, can stationary waves be formed between waves travelling in opposite directions where they are not 180 degrees out of phase? say a wave was reflected off a less dense medium and did not undergo inversion,,, would it still form a stationary wave with the incident wave?

Yep, you get a standing wave from superposing two travelling waves moving in opposite directions whether or not there is a phase change on reflection... but the nodes and antinodes will be in different places.

Quick Reply

Latest