The Student Room Group

The NHS is amazing !

So today I woke up on the 4th day of having extremely bad inner ear pain in my right ear. It is literally excruciating to touch.

I actually became a little concerned of the persistence of it but obviously when you work full time you tend to just soldier on because it doesn't seem worth taking time off for.

So today I woke up and was in agony so called NHS 24 on 111. The guy I spoke to was incredible. He talked through all my symptoms, made sure I was safe, and spoke with a nurse about my issue. He then contacted a local hospital and I have an appointment there in an hour. An hour!

The phone call lasted about 10 minutes and I only had to wait a minute to get through. The fact that all this is free at the point of access is just amazing.

There have been numerous times in the past when the NHS have helped me- with my under active thyroid, with my mental health (especially when I needed urgent support), when I had my wisdom teeth out.

But today I just realised how amazing it is and how much I take it for granted.

If the NHS has helped you with whatever and whenever, show some appreciation!

Scroll to see replies

Tags a few people who probably have some thoughts.
The UK government and its policies convey that simple three word message no one wants to hear.

WE
DON'T
CARE

So gloat all you want about your fairytale NHS compliment, because for each one I guarantee there are at least 10 complaints.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
Our government and its policies convey that simple three word message no one wants to hear.

WE
DON'T
CARE

So gloat all you want about your fairytale NHS compliment, because for each one I guarantee there are at least 10 complaints.

Wow.

Of course there are going to be complaints but there will be in any health service.

The fact ours is free at the point of access and still one of the best healthcare systems in the world is amazing.

Do you support privatisation?
Original post by Ethereal World
Wow.

Of course there are going to be complaints but there will be in any health service.

The fact ours is free at the point of access and still one of the best healthcare systems in the world is amazing.

Nope. But let the NHS exist and compete with private healthcare. Same with the train operators, internet and phone providers, water and gas and electricity etc.
@Ethereal World cue my broken arm and multiple operation story
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
Nope. But let the NHS exist and compete with private healthcare. Same with the train operators, internet and phone providers, water and gas and electricity etc.

Well I didn't ever suggest otherwise. Any topic could be twisted to see the negative aspects which unfortunately you have done.

We all know the system isn't perfect, with healthcare, transport, energy, whatever.

I was just showing some gratitude because in a lot of places in this world what just happened to me would be impossible. They don't even get help if they are dying. I just feel lucky and instead of moaning about what is wrong with everything, showing appreciation for what we have which we take for granted is important.
When i called 111 for my mum - it was the opposite and a waste of time tbh
Original post by homeland.lsw
@EthereaΪ World cue my broken arm and multiple operation story

Lol you tagged the wrong ethereal world. Whoever made that dupe is probably :rofl:

Well.... Id like to hear about it tbh. :yep:
Original post by samina_ay
When i called 111 for my mum - it was the opposite and a waste of time tbh

Sorry that your experience was so vastly different :frown:

I acknowledge that it's not perfect I'm just kind of stunned by my experience this morning.
Lol you tagged the wrong ethereal world. Whoever made that dupe is probably :rofl:

Well.... Id like to hear about it tbh. :yep:

In the middle of typing it up...and oh I thought that was a smudge...
Original post by homeland.lsw
In the middle of typing it up...and oh I thought that was a smudge...

Lol yeah it's like an accent thing on the l. I'm pretty sure im missing 90% of my tags because it's the first ethereal world that comes up.
It is pretty good. I had a similar experience last year and the Dr I got the short appointment with diagnosed me with bell's palsy. I felt like I was going crazy at the time lol and it was a good thing I had someone to speak to on the phone.

GPs and pharmacies are privately run tbf :holmes:. I suppose you're referring to for-profit private healthcare.

I like the Netherlands system :yy:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can I steal this idea for my blog? :colondollar:
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Can I steal this idea for my blog? :colondollar:

Of course you can! What like a post on your experiences with NHS ?
Of course you can! What like a post on your experiences with NHS ?

I thought I would share different experiences. But I'd need to find away to structure it so there's some flow. Did you see my atheism post?
It is pretty good. I had a similar experience last year and the Dr I got the short appointment with diagnosed me with bell's palsy. I felt like I was going crazy at the time lol and it was a good thing I had someone to speak to on the phone.

GPs and pharmacies are privately run tbf :holmes:. I suppose you're referring to for-profit private healthcare.

I like the Netherlands system :yy:.

What is Bell's Palsy? Yeah it was just great how there is someone there to talk to you within a minute and who doesn't just go suck it up with some ibuprofen. Tbf I've been taking codeine and ibuprofen and it hasn't touched the sides.
I thought I would share different experiences. But I'd need to find away to structure it so there's some flow. Did you see my atheism post?

No? I was confused I got tagged but then the tag was removed so I thought it was a mistake ?
Reply 18
Everyone has different thoughts about the NHS and at first I used to hold a negative view. But after working in my local hospital in the X-Ray department and A&E, you'd be crazy to say anything negative. What the staff go through just to make you feel better is ridiculous.

We are so lucky to have free healthcare and yes they make a few mistakes but honestly tell me, even if it was perfect there would still be something for you all to complain about. The Public are never happy no matter what the NHS does. And the demand? I'm not kidding.

Until you, yourself, work in the NHS and see what happens behind doors, you will never appreciate what they do.
Let's set the scene...

I was walking through my school field when I was pushed over. I fell on my hand, and my wrist/forearm basically snapped in half, like you could see my forearm was at a 90 degree angle.

The pain was incredible. It was so bad I puked. I went to the school office, and shocked the staff. An ambulance was called, and the paramedics came in about 25 minutes. The amount of pain I was in was unbearable and I had to sit in the office waiting for 25 long minutes.

They came and immediately gave me strong pain relief (morphine :eek:) and gas...(you know the one that makes you lightheaded) My mother came and was horrified, literally screaming and crying. I was wheeled out into the ambulance much to the interest of the whole school.

Sirens on and sped to hospital...

The ambulance team were so kind, reassuring and made a good start. They even put up with my incoherent mumbling due to the gas.
Good start NHS!

I had an X-ray and I was, at that time one of the priority cases in A&E so I was dealt with fast. I had a registrar, give me more pain relief and physically, put my arm back in a normal shape...It was till broken, but not at that terrifying angle...

IT HURT SOOOOOO MUCH, I was screaming...lol :colondollar:
But the registar was so nice! Reassuring and efficient!

I had to stay in hospital overnight and the overnight nurses were rude and unpleasant, you would think that the children's ward would be different but no...
I couldn't sleep, they had no food to give me because apparently they had finished all the food. I was annoyed quite frankly.

I managed to get to sleep but for some reason accidentally slept on the nurse call button. So they rudely woke me up and told me to stop playing games.
Really?

In the morning I met with the consultant and anesthetist. Both of them were superb! Pleasant nice, really nice people. I remember the anesthetist saying just imagine you're having a big G&T as she was putting me under...really sweet (and Bulgarian :ahee:)

The consultant was amazing, so amazing that I will be shadowing him this summer!
@Ethereal World Tell me if you want me to continue?

Quick Reply

Latest