The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Postgraduate applicants Newcastle university - 2016/2017

Hi all,

There isn't a Newcastle postgraduate thread on here so I just decided to get the ball rolling.

Applied for Masters in law (by research) at the law school! Fingers crossed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Durham_
Hi all,

There isn't a Newcastle postgraduate thread on here so I just decided to get the ball rolling.

Applied for Masters in law (by research) at the law school! Fingers crossed

Hi, I'm coming to Newcastle for a postgrad degree too :smile: I'm doing an intercalated MSc in Clinical and Health Psychology which is very exciting!

Best of luck with the application!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Cam,
Hi, I'm coming to Newcastle for a postgrad degree too :smile: I'm doing an intercalated MSc in Clinical and Health Psychology which is very exciting!

Thanks you too! Haven't heard yet but apparently the lady told me they are very very busy!
i'm about to apply for MSc in Town Planning - just need to get the personal statement finished first! :eek:
Original post by Cam,

Hi :smile:

I've just applied for this msc too! How long did it take for them to reply to you?
Reply 5
Original post by Chash22308903
Hi :smile:

I've just applied for this msc too! How long did it take for them to reply to you?

Hi! :biggrin: It was exactly two weeks between submitting my application and getting the offer. I cannot wait to come, I'm so excited! The course looks fantastic doesn't it. Are you a psychology student or an intercalating medic?
Reply 6
I'll be doing MSc industrial and commercial biotechnology. So excited :h:
Hey, fellow soon-to-be Newcastle students :smile:

What are you guys thinking of doing for accommodation? I'm not sure about postgrad halls...
Original post by Cam,
Hi! :biggrin: It was exactly two weeks between submitting my application and getting the offer. I cannot wait to come, I'm so excited! The course looks fantastic doesn't it. Are you a psychology student or an intercalating medic?

Hopefully will hear soon then! Yes the course definitely looks awesome :smile: I'm a psych student, I take it you're an intercalating medic?
Reply 9
Original post by scottc2113
Hey, fellow soon-to-be Newcastle students :smile:

What are you guys thinking of doing for accommodation? I'm not sure about postgrad halls...

I'm definitely going for private accommodation - halls are both too pricey and not really what I'm looking for anyway. Are any of you guys thinking of private housing too? It would be really cool to live with postgrads :smile:

(there's a 'Find a Flatmate' forum on TSR btw, I've put something up there http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3975579)

Original post by Chash22308903
Hopefully will hear soon then! Yes the course definitely looks awesome :smile: I'm a psych student, I take it you're an intercalating medic?

Yep I am, I'm in fourth year atm. I've always been really interested in mental health and psychology so this course looks perfect, I can't wait! I hope you hear good news back soon :smile:
Reply 10
I made a Facebook group, I thought it would be nice to have somewhere we can chat to fellow postgrads and it could be useful for things like finding flatmates too :smile: It's at https://www.facebook.com/groups/253497628329450/ so feel free to join :smile:
Hey,
I've got an offer for september for an MRes in Immunobiology. (Just need the grades now haha)
I'm so excited, won't know anyone either so also worried ahah
I've applied for postgrad accomodation
What kind of accommodation are you guys looking into? Cause I'd love to live in halls but I doubt I'll be able to afford it.
I'd like to live in the centre of the city cause I like to go out at weekends, even though I know I wont be able to much in a masters hahah! Has anyone looked into in detail much?
Reply 13
Original post by Cam,

thank you! still haven't heard! arghh. In the meantime also applied to Bristol!
Reply 14
Original post by Durham_
thank you! still haven't heard! arghh. In the meantime also applied to Bristol!

Ah fingers crossed! I guess it's about two weeks since you applied now so hopefully any time soon :smile:

Original post by jessw5377
What kind of accommodation are you guys looking into? Cause I'd love to live in halls but I doubt I'll be able to afford it.
I'd like to live in the centre of the city cause I like to go out at weekends, even though I know I wont be able to much in a masters hahah! Has anyone looked into in detail much?

I'm looking into private accommodation, don't really fancy halls and there's no way I could afford it either anyway! I've seen some people here, and on the 'Find Flatmates' forum, who are in the same boat and looking for accommodation. Someone on here was using spareroom.co.uk to find flatmates. And I made a Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/253497628329450/) for postgrads - although not many people have joined so far haha - which could also be a way of finding flatmates
Original post by Cam,
Ah fingers crossed! I guess it's about two weeks since you applied now so hopefully any time soon :smile:

I'm looking into private accommodation, don't really fancy halls and there's no way I could afford it either anyway! I've seen some people here, and on the 'Find Flatmates' forum, who are in the same boat and looking for accommodation. Someone on here was using spareroom.co.uk to find flatmates. And I made a Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/253497628329450/) for postgrads - although not many people have joined so far haha - which could also be a way of finding flatmates

yeah, i guess we're looking quite early but I don't want to leave it last minute and end up with a rubbish house really far away y'know!
Reply 16
yeah, i guess we're looking quite early but I don't want to leave it last minute and end up with a rubbish house really far away y'know!

I'm in the same boat. I want to stay in halls, but it would be cheaper to find a house somewhere. what websites are you using to find somewhere?
Original post by tb23
I'm in the same boat. I want to stay in halls, but it would be cheaper to find a house somewhere. what websites are you using to find somewhere?

So far I haven't looked at any private companies just cause I don't know if you can apply for single rooms? I looked at the accommodation portal given by Newcastle uni but the £500 deposit seems a little steep to me, and there's only about 3 houses on the whole list so if you don't get them then you're stuck with the expensive halls :/ I've been to Newcastle before and think I'd like a house in the Jesmond area really! What course are you doing? :smile:
Reply 18
So far I haven't looked at any private companies just cause I don't know if you can apply for single rooms? I looked at the accommodation portal given by Newcastle uni but the £500 deposit seems a little steep to me, and there's only about 3 houses on the whole list so if you don't get them then you're stuck with the expensive halls :/ I've been to Newcastle before and think I'd like a house in the Jesmond area really! What course are you doing? :smile:

yeah Jesmond is the only place i'd really want to live in a house, that being said I don't know enough about any other areas to say that I definitely don't want to live there. I'd be quite comfortable living in a shared halls, but I'm not keen on giving £500 away if I end up finding a decent house somewhere. I'm on the Msc town planning course. you?
Original post by tb23
yeah Jesmond is the only place i'd really want to live in a house, that being said I don't know enough about any other areas to say that I definitely don't want to live there. I'd be quite comfortable living in a shared halls, but I'm not keen on giving £500 away if I end up finding a decent house somewhere. I'm on the Msc town planning course. you?

yeah I'm the same really, don't know the city well enough to say too much! yeah I've had a look at some private housing where the rents between £60-£80 a week and to be honest I'd rather that than pay £120+ for halls as we've only got the £10,000 loan, even though I'm sure halls would be much nicer and I miss having the en suite from my first year undergrad! ahh nice is that for a year? I'm doing an MRes in Immunobiology :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest