The Student Room Group

Should junior doctors be allowed to strike?

I have chosen this as my epq question/topic. I have some basic research on the current junior doctor contract etc. But I don't really know how to approach the question. There aren't any books discussing this since it's so current. Should I just change my title? Does anyone know anything about the debate or know any books/sources I could use. I am planning on handing out questionnaires to junior doctors as my primary research. But I really don't know what I should be researching. Is it the current contract? Or the ethical issues surrounding them going on strike? Or do I research the actual history of junior doctors in the uk? All I can find is newspaper/online articles. Will I get marked down if I don't have any book sources?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by doculmc7171
I have chosen this as my epq question/topic. I have some basic research on the current junior doctor contract etc. But I don't really know how to approach the question. There aren't any books discussing this since it's so current. Should I just change my title? Does anyone know anything about the debate or know any books/sources I could use. I am planning on handing out questionnaires to junior doctors as my primary research. But I really don't know what I should be researching. Is it the current contract? Or the ethical issues surrounding them going on strike? Or do I research the actual history of junior doctors in the uk? All I can find is newspaper/online articles. Will I get marked down if I don't have any book sources?

Its a good title. I don't think you should go into detail about the current dispute - it'll get incredibly complicated and largely irrelevant to the broader question about whether it should be allowed at all. I would suggest focusing on the ethical issues and what other countries do. Historical examples would be a bonus.

Junior doctors are probably the worst questionnaire to do your research on - they are inherently biased for obvious reasons. The general population would be better, with data from junior doctors as a comparison group if you wish. Alternatively, contrasting stakeholders (patients vs doctors vs admin staff?) might be interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest