The Student Room Group

Aqa triple science *official thread* *2016* (gcse)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by srmed
Do you think drugs will come up as the 6 marker in B1? I really hope it doesn't because I hate that topic :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the 6 marker in
2015- shoots and roots response to environmental factors
2014- Adaptations
2013- Carbon cycle
2012- Adaptations

It is possible...
Original post by Ms A
Can anyone explain terminal velocity to me for P2 and Electromagnets/ the motor effect for P3 please?
Thankss

Terminal velocity: when air resistance is = to your weight, then you reach a terminal velocity. This is the highest velocity attainable by an object as it falls through air. All inaminate objects, and humans, have momentum and thus have atleast two forces acting on them. [Weight and Air Resistance] :^_^: Thus when you fall in the air, its these two forces that act on you. But which one is bigger? If your falling at a high velocity in the air, which will be bigger, air resistance or weight? Air resistance, but weight will also be acting upon you but at a lower distribution. Air resistance exists because air molecules collide into a falling body creating an upward force opposite gravity. This upward force will eventually balance the falling body's weight. Parachutes lower the terminal velocity, so its safe for you to land on the ground. If not then, :bike:

Electromagnetic, is when you have an iron core (in appliance) and as there is a changing magnetic field in the iron core, an current/pd is induced along the ends of a secondary coil attached to a primary coil. If there was an d.c instead of a.c, no current would be changed and thus the p.d would be 0.

Motor effect: when a wire cuts the field lines of a magnetic field, it causes a force to act on the wire. If you resemble, with flemings left hand rule you can find the direction/current etc. Its hard to explain on here but i'll leave a link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/triple_aqa/keeping_things_moving/the_motor_effect/revision/3/
Reply 62
Original post by homeland.lsw
Ok terminal velocity. Is it ok if I use the parachutist example?

Yeah pleaseee I would be sooo grateful!! Can you also give ideas about other scenarios which might link in with terminal velocity please so I can try to explain the process myself :smile:
Also, can you explain electromagnets/motor effect after please thank you :smile:
Original post by srmed
Do you think drugs will come up as the 6 marker in B1? I really hope it doesn't because I hate that topic :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry. It most likely will be, but it won't be as worst as the 6 markers regarding experiments (the horrible one in last year's B2 paper). However, I found an 6 marker on drugs, with an attatched mark scheme, so it'll act as a good frame for your answer. I'll leave the link below, its Q 3.03 -
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/biology/AQA-84611H-SMS.PDF
Original post by Ms A
Yeah pleaseee I would be sooo grateful!! Can you also give ideas about other scenarios which might link in with terminal velocity please so I can try to explain the process myself :smile:
Also, can you explain electromagnets/motor effect after please thank you :smile:

Well if you look at the post above yours you'll see a lovely example!
I'm happy to answer any bio or chem related questions though! :smile:
Original post by Ms A
hello,
we were told that there would be a 10-20 min break between the two exams as the examiners have to set up the exam papers and stuff like that :smile:

Thank you! I hope we're allowed to go outside for loo breaks, snacks and last minute revision!
Original post by katerebecca
Thank you! I hope we're allowed to go outside for loo breaks, snacks and last minute revision!

Yes, I'm sure that will be permitted!
Do you think this years paper is going to be harder than last years?
Reply 68
Original post by Oblivion99
Don't worry. It most likely will be, but it won't be as worst as the 6 markers regarding experiments (the horrible one in last year's B2 paper). However, I found an 6 marker on drugs, with an attatched mark scheme, so it'll act as a good frame for your answer. I'll leave the link below, its Q 3.03 -
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/biology/AQA-84611H-SMS.PDF

Thank you so much, I guess I'm just gonna have to revise it more :smile:
Original post by Dizgurl
Do you think this years paper is going to be harder than last years?

OK. had a look at last years grade boundaries and well, we could say that this year might be slightly easier. BUT DON'T TAKE ANYTHING FOR CHANCE
OK. had a look at last years grade boundaries and well, we could say that this year might be slightly easier. BUT DON'T TAKE ANYTHING FOR CHANCE

No of course I won't. I've had mixed views upon it anyways. :redface:.
Original post by Dizgurl
No of course I won't. I've had mixed views upon it anyways. :redface:.

like?

Chemistry exams(c1+c2) were really easy so I think they will be harder.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Chemistry exams(c1+c2) were really easy so I think they will be harder.

Yup chemistry C1 and C2 were 50+ for an A* Much higher than the other sciences, but C3 was 40+ for an A* :eek:
like?

Some people said that the Biology exam was fairly hard and grade boundaries were high, so they expect the biology exam to be easier. Other's thought the chemistry was really easy ( which I do agree) and so they would make it harder this year. But again the grade boundaries were 50/60 which is the highest I've ever seen.
And most people said that Physics would be around about the same level of hardness lol.
Original post by Dizgurl
Some people said that the Biology exam was fairly hard and grade boundaries were high, so they expect the biology exam to be easier. Other's thought the chemistry was really easy ( which I do agree) and so they would make it harder this year. But again the grade boundaries were 50/60 which is the highest I've ever seen.
And most people said that Physics would be around about the same level of hardness lol.

Agreed! Really, anything higher than a 52 out of 60, would be a safe A*!
I did triple Biology last year and this year i'm doing triple chemistry and physics this year. I'm happy with physics but c2 is stressing me out so much, i did a past paper and I got an A but I have to miss out some questions as I didnt know how to them at all :frown:( Luckily c2 is in june an dnot may.
how's everyone finding unit 3 chemistry- i dont have a clue whats going on and the grade boundaries are so high ffss
Reply 78
Original post by 0lut0
Does anybody think the grade boundaries will increase?
And also how much does controlled assessment boast your grade up by?

Yes i definitely think so.
in 2011 (i think) you only needed 40 or 30/60 for an A*
in 2015 you needed 50/60 for an A*
So there is a trend... Addionally because we are one of the last years to do this spec they are more likely to be brutal to us :s-smilie:

The ISAs is 25% of your overall grade so it is pretty much the equivalent to any of the other papers (unit 1- 25% unit 2-25% unit 3-25% unit 4(which is the isa)-25%)
Reply 79
I think everyone is finding the unit 3 sciences the hardest because they've taught it to us so vaguely and quickly (apart from unit 3 physics - don't know why but it seems fairly easy). I don't even know what my chemistry teacher has taught us so I had to go through it all over again :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending