The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom5pence
For unit 4, I am primarily just looking at the research and explore tasks given. From that, I am looking at the factors contributing to inequalities in food supply, using 1 or 2 case studies for each factor (e.g political, socio economic and environental).

I then plan to look at famine in detail, and its causes (remember that there are a range of reasons, not all are environmental e.g inappropriate farming techniques and political issues (somalia and terroism).

Then Malthus and Boserups theory and apply it to the research task given :smile:

The key for this task is that the case studies MUST represent contrasting locations.. e.g rural-urban China, national and international, as I have a feeling it will be of significance in the exam. If your case studies entail this, then you will be absoloutely fine.

DEFINITIONS ARE CRUCIAL AND NOTE WHO STATED IT e.g. UN. These are very important for introducing key points. On that note, make sure all statistics are sourced :smile:

So basically... 1) factors for food inequality (contrasting reasons/locations/scales ;economic, environmental and political)
2)Famine and contributing reasons for it.
3)Theories and projections.
I am not quite sure how it will be structured, I plan to talk to my teacher when I get back :smile:

Hope you found this helpful

Approximately how many case studies do you think we will we need to cover in the report? Which ones are you planning to do for famine and food surpluses?

And thanks for the energy notes! They're great:biggrin:
Original post by freefood
Approximately how many case studies do you think we will we need to cover in the report? Which ones are you planning to do for famine and food surpluses?

And thanks for the energy notes! They're great:biggrin:

Probably 6-8, whilst also knowing some general stats to back up your report :smile:
Original post by Tom5pence
Probably 6-8, whilst also knowing some general stats to back up your report :smile:

6-8? :O

I was told more like 3/4 indepth is better than a range.
I guess it depends on your plan! If you get a case study which covers a range of factors then thatll be good! Tbh 8 is probably quite a lot
Does anyone know which way it'll be better to structure the report? i.e. using factors or case studies?

So if the question was something like 'Assess the extent to whichsocio-economic factors are the greatest cause of food supply inequalities' how would you structure that?
Original post by freefood
Does anyone know which way it'll be better to structure the report? i.e. using factors or case studies?

So if the question was something like 'Assess the extent to whichsocio-economic factors are the greatest cause of food supply inequalities' how would you structure that?

I'm doing tectonics but I think the structure would still apply. I have been told that you should not structure it using case studies. In the main body of the text you should talk about 3 different factors using subtitles and then bring the case studies into that.
Reply 146
Hi dont know if anyone can see if I'm going in the right direction or need to add more..? I am doing cultural diversity for my unit 4 and the case studies I have are for:
Research contrastinglocations to investigate how far they have been affected by globalisation and‘global culture’

Japan and the UK for examples of a mostly culturally homogenous society and culturally diverse one

Example of how cultural homogenity can exist in a culturally diverse area (chinatown in London)

The Amish - another smaller case study I can use as well as Chinatown

The USA - how it is a melting pot and has been affected by globalisation and global culture

Bhutan - basically the opposite of the US, not affected by globalisation at all

And examples of TNCs contributing to globalisation, Viacom case study

And the focus also says to explore the term 'global culture' and its main characteristics
Reply 147
Do you reckon I could also bring in rural and urban areas to show how urban areas have been affected by globalisation whereas rural ones haven't? Like in India megacities like Mumbai
Our teacher made a list of questions he thinks may come up, they are:
Explain the evidence that China and India are already emerging global powers
Compare the potential for India and China to become the next global superpowers
Assess the possible global impacts of China and India achieving superpower status
Compare the different development strategies pursued by China and India
Assess the potential obstacles to continued growth and development in India and China
Assess the extent to which both India and China's current models of growth are unsustainable

Also my teacher has a website with lots of AS and A2 stuff on it, just type in Mr Westons Geography. Hope this helps, I'm pretty happy with the pre-release but can understand some may not be. As a class we've also decided to ignore technological fix and biodiversity, concentrate on water and energy and development gap as reserve just in case.
Original post by Isobel2611
Our teacher made a list of questions he thinks may come up, they are:
Explain the evidence that China and India are already emerging global powers
Compare the potential for India and China to become the next global superpowers
Assess the possible global impacts of China and India achieving superpower status
Compare the different development strategies pursued by China and India
Assess the potential obstacles to continued growth and development in India and China
Assess the extent to which both India and China's current models of growth are unsustainable

Also my teacher has a website with lots of AS and A2 stuff on it, just type in Mr Westons Geography. Hope this helps, I'm pretty happy with the pre-release but can understand some may not be. As a class we've also decided to ignore technological fix and biodiversity, concentrate on water and energy and development gap as reserve just in case.

Thanks so much!! Does it have any pre-release notes? :smile:
Original post by OrdinaryStudent

The website might but its got stuff on all the other topics.
Reply 151
Original post by oh116
Hi dont know if anyone can see if I'm going in the right direction or need to add more..? I am doing cultural diversity for my unit 4 and the case studies I have are for:
Research contrastinglocations to investigate how far they have been affected by globalisation and‘global culture’

Japan and the UK for examples of a mostly culturally homogenous society and culturally diverse one

Example of how cultural homogenity can exist in a culturally diverse area (chinatown in London)

The Amish - another smaller case study I can use as well as Chinatown

The USA - how it is a melting pot and has been affected by globalisation and global culture

Bhutan - basically the opposite of the US, not affected by globalisation at all

And examples of TNCs contributing to globalisation, Viacom case study

And the focus also says to explore the term 'global culture' and its main characteristics
Anyone know if these are the right sort of case studies for the cultural diversity question?
Original post by oh116
Anyone know if these are the right sort of case studies for the cultural diversity question?

i've used some of them too, but i've also looked at Saudi Arbaia, French assimilation and iceland for geographical isolation, i dId a practise report and structured it according to differant factors so you are able to bring in more than one case study and i found that workes :smile:
Reply 153
Original post by Indigo.Brownhall
Sure! But for some reason it will not allow me to upload it :frown: so if you give me your email I can send it that way!

Indigo

Hi could you send me the file too? Thank you sosoooooo much! :smile:
Reply 154
I've seen all over TSR about people only picking a couple of topics out of Unit 3 to revise and study again etc. But why are people doing this and not just learning all the topics in case the question that comes up for you is a bad one? is it because there are too many topics that have a lot of content in them to revise? any help would be appreciated thanks,
Original post by jxmesy
I've seen all over TSR about people only picking a couple of topics out of Unit 3 to revise and study again etc. But why are people doing this and not just learning all the topics in case the question that comes up for you is a bad one? is it because there are too many topics that have a lot of content in them to revise? any help would be appreciated thanks,

You have to pick two topics (compulsory). It is advised to study 3 topics incase one topic has a hard question, but some people only study 2 topics as the content for each individual topic is very long
Original post by AlohaCharlotte
Yes! Handed it in yesterday :smile:

I'll let you know what my teacher says.

Hi could you let me know, what question you wrote your report on please :smile: Btw, theres a unit 4 thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3956727
Original post by OrdinaryStudent

Thank you soon much! Did he give you any guidance about how to answer these questions? :smile:
Original post by meg16
Oh that's good then I didn't think about it like that! Hate the hazards question too the other questions seem much nicer dam it is anyone resisting unit 1 As?

Only just read your post and yes i am resitting unit 1! Been doing past papers and they are fairly easy in comparison to A2 questions!
Original post by johnhick98
i've used some of them too, but i've also looked at Saudi Arbaia, French assimilation and iceland for geographical isolation, i dId a practise report and structured it according to differant factors so you are able to bring in more than one case study and i found that workes :smile:

Have you got a copy of your practise report that you could possibly email! I am wanting to start practising writing them but no idea on how to do it!!! If you can it would be very much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending