The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by difeo
Pls

That's my point, our defence is far more solid than yours (2nd best in the league vs 11th) so there's no basis to that prediction, just salt.

Add in our great (W3D2L1) record vs the top 4 and we'd have probably won, given how poor Dortmund were.

Yeah I'm salty that we knocked you out and matched the tournament favourites away from home...

Your defence isn't solid. You have DDG who is world class and Smalling who is excellent bar a few random errors (similar to Sakho really).

There's no chance you would've done what we did last night, not solely because of your defence, but because you don't have anywhere near the work rate from midfield.

Scenes when you make top 4 but don't get CL because we win EL :biggrin:
Original post by Zerforax
Guess you've been smoking what Wilshere has.

Fags don't get you high bro.
Original post by Lúcio
Yeah I'm salty that we knocked you out and matched the tournament favourites away from home...

Your defence isn't solid. You have DDG who is world class and Smalling who is excellent bar a few random errors (similar to Sakho really).

There's no chance you would've done what we did last night, not solely because of your defence, but because you don't have anywhere near the work rate from midfield.

Clearly salty about something when you're going on about United despite going through

Stats don't lie brah, it's not even close

Given how good we are against top opposition and how unimpressive they were, there's every chance
Original post by difeo
Clearly salty about something when you're going on about United despite going through

Stats don't lie brah, it's not even close

Given how good we are against top opposition and how unimpressive they were, there's every chance

Strong arguments bro

Like I said, midfield was the main factor.
Our defence were excellent but it was Can/Milner/Henderson/Lallana snuffing out most of the chances before they were made.
You might get a bit of that from Schneiderlin and Carrick but no way is Memphis/Mata gonna contribute and Fellaini will just give free kicks away.
Original post by Lúcio

They changed that rule so that you get an extra entry into the CL.
They changed that rule so that you get an extra entry into the CL.

Awww fair enough, my bad.

Would be great to win the EL since we have nothing else going for us but it's still a massive ask. We may have a "slight" upper hand against Dortmund but we only have 1 away goal so if the match becomes high scoring, we're in trouble.

All we have to do is keep a clean sheet. Easy :tongue:
Original post by Lúcio

Would be great to win the EL since we have nothing else going for us but it's still a massive ask. We may have a "slight" upper hand against Dortmund but we only have 1 away goal so if the match becomes high scoring, we're in trouble.

Was a funny one.. when we won the CL in 2005 the rules didn't contemplate a winner not qualifying via their domestic league so they gave us an extra position. Then they changed it so that your lowest qualifier loses their spot for a winner (Chelsea did it to Spurs) but when they created the EL winner getting a CL spot, it's an extra spot.

Although I think if Man City were to finish 5th and win the CL, they would get the extra CL qualification spot over us if we were to win the EL..
Was a funny one.. when we won the CL in 2005 the rules didn't contemplate a winner not qualifying via their domestic league so they gave us an extra position. Then they changed it so that your lowest qualifier loses their spot for a winner (Chelsea did it to Spurs) but when they created the EL winner getting a CL spot, it's an extra spot.

Although I think if Man City were to finish 5th and win the CL, they would get the extra CL qualification spot over us if we were to win the EL..

Pretty sure it's whoever finishes 4th that loses the CL place if both the EL and CL winners finishes outside the top 4 in the PL.
Reply 6208

Na what happens there is that whoever comes 4th loses their spot.
I think Mkhi had a lot of joy because Dortmund played a very 4-2-3-1 with Mkhi going into that central role behind the striker which meant he could go back to the midfield or go forward to attack whereas our midfield were more in a horizontal line across the middle. Usually in Europe teams have tended to drop a DM in that gap to counter the attacking midfielder. Think it was a lot to do with being a spare man in that area than just being a huge gap?

I've rewatched the two main situations of threat; Mkhi's shot after the Piszczek pass out of the defence, and Aubameyang's shot after the other Mkhi run. There are a couple of things to note.

There was actually a pretty huge gap. Most teams pressing up the pitch will be a lot closer to the halfway line than Lovren and Sakho were. Obviously this is to counter the pace Aubameyang and Reus (who was also stationed on the last man). There was a solid 30+ yards between our high pressing midfield and the defence. Dortmund should have taken advantage of this more often. On the Aubameyang shot, the second chance they had, the gap was increased by Can being a tiny bit lazy to get back into a central position (and maybe this manufactured the chance), and Henderson drifting forwards to join the attack instead of being aware of what was behind him. For the first chance (moment of the pass out from RB in the pic), Can was high pressing as had been asked of him, but Milner was slow to get back into position following a run into the box, giving Mkhi too much space. Henderson is in his position probably due to instruction, but at very least he could have been aware of the space behind him (would likely not have helped much in this instance but startling how high and wide he is when the other fullback is on the ball). The error is Milner's though. He even turned around and had a look at Mkhitaryan's position but was lazy to get back there, even knowing that Moreno was occupied by Durm (?).

You're right in that teams in Europe usually do drop a man in between midfield and defence, in our cases Can was too busy pressing, and just removed from the ball so not really his fault. If we'd a) not lost the ball suddenly like Coutinho did in the second chance, and b) Milner had kept up his usual work rate, it would have been flawless. The pressing was excellent on the whole. Klopp has largely tended to press the ball in clusters (as opposed to Pep shutting down passing lanes) but we did a bit of both in that first half.
Original post by Lúcio

We don't have an upper hand. We have a better chance than we did before but they're still marginal favourites.
Original post by samir12
Pretty sure it's whoever finishes 4th that loses the CL place if both the EL and CL winners finishes outside the top 4 in the PL.

Original post by bammy jastard 27
Na what happens there is that whoever comes 4th loses their spot.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html

This season was the first where the winners of the previous UEFA Europa League gained automatic entry into the UEFA Champions League: Sevilla taking that berth despite finishing fifth in Spain, a position they currently hold again now as they attempt to get past Basel in Europe. That meant Spain had a record five teams in the UEFA Champions League group stage this time around.

No more than five clubs can enter the UEFA Champions League from one national association (this was an increase on the previous maximum of four).

So looks like 4th place in the league would only lose their CL spot if both the CL and EL winners were English clubs and both finished outside the top 4.

Original post by Parties in LA
I've rewatched the two main situations of threat; Mkhi's shot after the Piszczek pass out of the defence, and Aubameyang's shot after the other Mkhi run. There are a couple of things to note.

There was actually a pretty huge gap. Most teams pressing up the pitch will be a lot closer to the halfway line than Lovren and Sakho were. Obviously this is to counter the pace Aubameyang and Reus (who was also stationed on the last man). There was a solid 30+ yards between our high pressing midfield and the defence. Dortmund should have taken advantage of this more often. On the Aubameyang shot, the second chance they had, the gap was increased by Can being a tiny bit lazy to get back into a central position (and maybe this manufactured the chance), and Henderson drifting forwards to join the attack instead of being aware of what was behind him. For the first chance (moment of the pass out from RB in the pic), Can was high pressing as had been asked of him, but Milner was slow to get back into position following a run into the box, giving Mkhi too much space. Henderson is in his position probably due to instruction, but at very least he could have been aware of the space behind him (would likely not have helped much in this instance but startling how high and wide he is when the other fullback is on the ball). The error is Milner's though. He even turned around and had a look at Mkhitaryan's position but was lazy to get back there, even knowing that Moreno was occupied by Durm (?).

You're right in that teams in Europe usually do drop a man in between midfield and defence, in our cases Can was too busy pressing, and just removed from the ball so not really his fault. If we'd a) not lost the ball suddenly like Coutinho did in the second chance, and b) Milner had kept up his usual work rate, it would have been flawless. The pressing was excellent on the whole. Klopp has largely tended to press the ball in clusters (as opposed to Pep shutting down passing lanes) but we did a bit of both in that first half.

Interest points. I'm not convinced our midfield knew 100% what they wanted to be doing at each point. Being unsure if they should be supporting the front 3 or helping protect the backline. On the whole we did well but we were wayward with our passing at times which meant it was easier for Dortmund to spring against us with such large gaps too.

Milner does seem that yard slow for these types of fast pace games when chasing the ball. However he does shut down passing lanes so well. He had the highest number of interceptions and tackles won on Thursday - way higher than everyone else - which was interesting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Parties in LA
We don't have an upper hand. We have a better chance than we did before but they're still marginal favourites.

Our players looked a bit tentative for the first 20 minutes. After that I think they had a lightbulb moment when they realised "hang on a second, these guys aren't that much better than us" and then we continued to grow into the game.

I think we'll be a lot better at Anfield in terms of not feeling so obliged to give them so much respect. Klopp will be telling the players they can win the tie.

Who will play in the midfield tomorrow? Henderson injured and Can banned for 2 league games.. Allen and..?
Who will play in the midfield tomorrow? Henderson injured and Can banned for 2 league games.. Allen and..?

Probably either Brannagan or Stewart.
Lucas is also a shout tommorow.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Probably either Brannagan or Stewart.

Is Stewart back from injury?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Is Stewart back from injury?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so, he played 45 minutes in a closed doors friendly on Friday.
Is it just me or does it seem obvious that Milner will play centre alongside Allen, with Firmino, Lallana, Coutinho and Sturridge ahead of them.
Reply 6218
Original post by RVNmax
Is it just me or does it seem obvious that Milner will play centre alongside Allen, with Firmino, Lallana, Coutinho and Sturridge ahead of them.

yea it seems the most likely thing although Lucas is in with a shout if he is fit enough. I doubt we'll see Stewart or Brannagan starting.
Interest points. I'm not convinced our midfield knew 100% what they wanted to be doing at each point. Being unsure if they should be supporting the front 3 or helping protect the backline. On the whole we did well but we were wayward with our passing at times which meant it was easier for Dortmund to spring against us with such large gaps too.

Milner does seem that yard slow for these types of fast pace games when chasing the ball. However he does shut down passing lanes so well. He had the highest number of interceptions and tackles won on Thursday - way higher than everyone else - which was interesting.
Nah I completely disagree with you. We're the best team in the league for preventing opposition attacks, and very high up for creating our own, under Klopp. And we just largely outplayed one of the 5 best teams in Europe on their own pitch. The pressing that lead to it was completely from our midfield and they clearly knew what they were doing, and did it very effectively. They never did 'protect' the backline, hence the huge gap to the backline. Henderson's extremely high and wide position is evidence of Klopp's instructions, in a non-Klopp team he'd never be in that position. 2 openings of that kind in 45 minutes is manageable to be honest.

I think he's slightly (very slightly) slow in the head, rather than actually in his legs. He's not slow over the first 15-20 yards like Can is.

Our players looked a bit tentative for the first 20 minutes. After that I think they had a lightbulb moment when they realised "hang on a second, these guys aren't that much better than us" and then we continued to grow into the game.

I think we'll be a lot better at Anfield in terms of not feeling so obliged to give them so much respect. Klopp will be telling the players they can win the tie.

Well, Reus, Aubameyang, Mkhi on the counter is not a prospect I'm relishing. We definitely can win the tie but it'll take a monumental defensive performance again, maybe even harder this time. Containing them deep within our half is something I'd back Lovren to marshal us to doing but at some point they should hurt us on the break.

I think where they definitely weren't better than us was passing out of the back. It was possibly their worst game all season except the Bayern thrashing (@Vae?) but Bender and Piszczek had a nightmare, Weigl looked good in our half but couldn't orchestrate a way out of the press, Castro/Durm largely non-existent and incapable of getting out of the press too. I disagree with you about the respect stuff too, I think we pressed high and tightly from the word go. We only started getting our passing moves together mid way through the half though, but not really because of respect, just because we calmed down ourselves. After that we were brilliant until the hour mark, maybe because the mental pressure had worn Dortmund down or just us growing in confidence. Then Sahin started to exert his influence and we dropped deeper.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest