The Student Room Group

The NHS is amazing !

Scroll to see replies

This is of course dependent on the person. I've had mixed experiences with the NHS. Some, not so great but others where I'm just grateful for being well right now.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
I've not had a great time with the NHS tbh. Rushed to the hospital with appendicitis, they wanted to operate as soon as possible so they said they weren't going to put me on painkillers and I'd be operated on that night. In actuality, it took a day and a half before I was taken into the operating theatre. A day and a half without painkillers was not fun.

Taking painkillers shouldn't have any baring on whether or not you can go to theatre. That doesn't really make sense.
Original post by DorianGrayism
If you don't mind talking about it....What happened?

I used to vomit as a child at night, which is dangerous. (You can choke on it) my parents were constantly accused of making the whole thing up. We later discovered I had epilepsy which they'd hidden from my parents.

They have this habit of blaming every single medical problem on my vision. Even my bloody hearing problems.
Original post by FarageCollage
1) I got knocked out and woke up in an ambulance. I think that's *slightly*, *kind of*, *possibly*, *perhaps*, *maybe* serious.

Not necessarily. Depend on your symptoms or what they thought your symptoms were.

Anyway, I doubt you were knocked out unconscious and woke for the first time in an ambulance unless you were completely inebriated.

2) comparing the NHS with another country makes the NHS better objectively or merely via comparison? is north korea great because there are certain african countries that are worse then? same kind of argument really.

Well, Ireland isn't North Korea. It is another advanced western nation.

3) I was at uni, hundreds of miles from my parents. and my friends at uni don't have cars. I didn't have my wallet either. I only tend to bring my ID and *some* notes (which I spent) on nights out (when it happened).

So what? Get one of your friends to pay for a taxi then. The NHS isn't going to provide a taxi.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think generally the NHS is not that bad. If your problem is obvious (like you've clearly broken your arm) then they're good. If it isn't so obvious then they won't put that much effort into trying to find out what is causing the problem. For instance, my little sister has asthma and gets really bad chest infections. It took them several years to tell us something that we already figured out a while ago: that she has a weak immune system because she doesn't have enough white blood cells. Similarly, my mum had problems and again, they focused on treating the symptoms rather than trying to find the root cause of the problem. My mum (after a very long time) eventually got tired of the constant pain and went private. The private doctor said if her problem was ignored for even a little bit longer she could've developed cancer.

Overall, I am incredibly grateful for our NHS. They, generally, do a great job (especially A&E). But... Then there are areas that are simply terrible. Even in A&E, my little sister was once struggling to breathe so was taking quite along time to take off her shirt. What does the Doctor do? The doctor gets very frustrated and tells her to 'hurry up - I don't have all day!'.

If you've broken a leg or something then the NHS is great. If you have a problem that isn't so obvious, the NHS will annoy you. :redface:
Original post by Tiger Rag
I used to vomit as a child at night, which is dangerous. (You can choke on it) my parents were constantly accused of making the whole thing up. We later discovered I had epilepsy which they'd hidden from my parents.

They have this habit of blaming every single medical problem on my vision. Even my bloody hearing problems.

How did you discover it if they had hidden it?
It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and they've made as many mistakes with me as anybody else, but I probably wouldn't be here without them and they are far better than a lot of other countries- unlike in most of those it's also free. Given the lack of funding and number of people they have to work with it's amazing. If people don't like it they can go private, that's more like what they'd pay anywhere else and a lot of the people working there are the same anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you discover it if they had hidden it?

We were told a few years ago. Or rather, asked about the epilepsy I had as a child.
Not necessarily. Depend on your symptoms or what they thought your symptoms were.

Anyway, I doubt you were knocked out unconscious and woke for the first time in an ambulance unless you were completely inebriated.

I *was* completely inebriated. and I was knocked out. my clothes were drenched in my own blood.

Well, Ireland isn't North Korea. It is another advanced western nation.

*sigh* subjectivity.

So what? Get one of your friends to pay for a taxi then. The NHS isn't going to provide a taxi.

well...it was 7am by the time I was released. my friends were more than likely hanging over/asleep and taxis are ****ing expensive.
I *was* completely inebriated. and I was knocked out. my clothes were drenched in my own blood.

So you got a cut lip and you were so drunk that you don't even know what was happening.

No, it isn't a big deal. If people like you didn't drink, it would help.

*sigh* subjectivity. .

Not subjective that Ireland is another Advanced Western Country where you pay 100 euros to go to A and E

well...it was 7am by the time I was released. my friends were more than likely hanging over/asleep and taxis are ****ing expensive.

So what? The tax payer cannot afford to send every drunk person a taxi home.
Original post by Etomidate
Taking painkillers shouldn't have any baring on whether or not you can go to theatre. That doesn't really make sense.

I dunno whether it's in case it'd mess with the anaesthetic, or whether it's cause I was I was nil-by-mouth. All I know is, they wouldn't put me on painkillers. It was bloody agony.
Original post by Tiger Rag
We were told a few years ago. Or rather, asked about the epilepsy I had as a child.

OK. So why did you ask about it?

I am assuming that you thought you had epilepsy as a child even though they didn't tell you.
So you got a cut lip and you were so drunk that you don't even know what was happening.

No, it isn't a big deal. If people like you didn't drink, it would help.

there was a ****ing HOLE in my lip. my tooth went through my lip and was broken on the impact of the concrete pavement surface. you think it was a ****ing "cut"?

Not subjective that Ireland is another Advanced Western Country where you pay 100 euros to go to A and E

that's not exactly a country with free health care then, so...why compare that to an NHS in the UK

So what? The tax payer cannot afford to send every drunk person a taxi home.

I'm sorry but they took me to the hospital without even asking me! sure they *eventually* treated one of my wounds (and not the other) but my leg was in a lot of pain and my area that they took me from was honestly 7-8 miles away. are you really saying "nah, the NHS gives no **** for you bro - we have more problems at 7am than helping you get home safely after abducting you when you were unconscious"
there was a ****ing HOLE in my lip. my tooth went through my lip and was broken on the impact of the concrete pavement surface. you think it was a ****ing "cut"?

that's not exactly a country with free health care then, so...why compare that to an NHS in the UK

I'm sorry but they took me to the hospital without even asking me! sure they *eventually* treated one of my wounds (and not the other) but my leg was in a lot of pain and my area that they took me from was honestly 7-8 miles away. are you really saying "nah, the NHS gives no **** for you bro - we have more problems at 7am than helping you get home safely after abducting you when you were unconscious"

I would say I can't believe you're saying that, but given your username, I can.

Your parents situation was bad. And I know not all NHS trusts are good and therefore you've probably experience one of those. However your own story is ridiculous. Would you rather they left you on the bloody street? No. You'd still be complaining about them then. Your injuries were your fault. Do you know how many drunks they deal with at the weekends? A **** ton. All because people can't drink responsibly. You don't know what was going on in other parts of the hospital, there were probably cases that were more important than yours and therefore had to be treated first. They wouldn't have made you wait 6 hours if they couldn't help it because they get fined if you've been waiting in A&E for more than 4 hours.

As for taking you home are ****ing stupid or something? Everyone is expected to find their own way back home, they aren't a ****ing taxi service. If you can't walk phone a friend or parents who can come and pick you up. If you were too scared to phone your parents then that's you're own damn fault for getting yourself into that situation. Get a grip.

OK. It went through your lip. It isn't an emergency either way .

Because you are lucky to have free healthcare whether you are waiting for 6 hours or otherwise.

They couldn't ask you because you were drunk.

Next time, don't get drunk and then you won't have this issue.
OK. It went through your lip. It isn't an emergency either way .

Because you are lucky to have free healthcare whether you are waiting for 6 hours or otherwise.

The fact that they think because they had no money the hospital had to get her home? Could have easily got a taxi and then asked the driver to wait while they go get the cash from wherever they live. Expensive or not, she should be paying for that not the hospital. I pay taxes and I do not pay them for washed up drunks to be able to get home from the hospital because they don't want to have to take responsibility and cough it up themselves
Original post by furryface12
It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and they've made as many mistakes with me as anybody else, but I probably wouldn't be here without them and they are far better than a lot of other countries- unlike in most of those it's also free. Given the lack of funding and number of people they have to work with it's amazing. If people don't like it they can go private, that's more like what they'd pay anywhere else and a lot of the people working there are the same anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't feel my face contributes with another awesome comment. :mmm:
My aunt kept getting frequent headaches so she went to the doctor. Next thing she knew, brain tumour. Thanks alot NHS. Doctors man, not even once. :noway:
OK. It went through your lip. It isn't an emergency either way

oh give up. you are just trying to insult me now. it's obvious. whatever though. I don't give a crap.

I'd have rather paid for it to be fair if it meant immediate treatment. it was a joke. I had doctors sat right in front of me chuckling to each other seeming to be doing nothing while I sat there in a chair with blood all over my face in silence for 6 hours. they even got sassy with me for asking roughly once an hour if somebody was ready to see me yet.

no, I was "knocked out". for ****'s sake...that was the reason.
and by the way, just because I was drunk, doesn't mean this was the reason I was knocked out. another drunk person whom I didn't even know was shown on CCTV to have punched me in the face for no reason. that's why I kept getting the police phoning me after this happened - because they were trying to ****ing help me.

"next time don't get drunk"? are you suggesting that I was knocked out *because* I was drunk?
Original post by johannarebecca7
I would say I can't believe you're saying that, but given your username, I can.

um, and am I meant to take somebody who is subject to obvious irrational prejudice seriously...?

Quick Reply

Latest