The Student Room Group

PPE Oxford?

Hi I'm in year 13, I have a conditional offer to do chemistry but I'm beginning to regret choosing it and would rather study PPE at Oxford. I'm worried however that my A-level choices will eliminate me right away as I do not have AS maths.
I'm predicted to get:
A*: Chemistry
A*: Government and Politics
A: Physics

And I have a B in AS English Lit. I fear that my lack of a level maths will be a huge detriment to my application although I have coped fine with the maths associated with Physics.

What does the Student Room think?
I'm looking to do Ppe in Oxford so I've looked into it a lot. The good news is they don't care about the subjects you study at a-level as long as you do in well I them. Although they highly recommend maths and history. Also the first year is heavily maths based as I've heard from ex pupils in my school who did Ppe at Oxford.

Although if you can prove that ur capable at maths through your physics or your personal statement I don't see why they wouldn't consider you.
Reply 2
Hmm that's what I'm hoping too, apparently some colleges are more snobbish than others on whether AS maths is a requisite. Il have to search for which ones are more lax
Original post by ManofironLC
Hmm that's what I'm hoping too, apparently some colleges are more snobbish than others on whether AS maths is a requisite. Il have to search for which ones are more lax

You have a conditional offer for chemistry, is this with Oxford? if you already have a place at the university then I would suggest emailing your college straight away and they will be able to arrange interviews with the PPE tutors and organised a time for the TSA. Don't worry about annoying anyone, this kind of thing happens all the time. If the PPE tutors don't accept you for a course switch you can stay on Chemistry and no-one will treat you any differently.
Reply 4
Not at Oxford but at a rather good Russel Group however, so if I was to apply for PPE at Oxford etc I'd have to reject my current offer and try again next year :/
Original post by ManofironLC
Not at Oxford but at a rather good Russel Group however, so if I was to apply for PPE at Oxford etc I'd have to reject my current offer and try again next year :/

You can actually start at another uni and reapply there. You’d have to talk to your tutors about reapplying once there though. Also, if your worried about finance you do actually get a years grace - so you’d get finance for the whole of your degree. I suppose this gives you longer to think about what you want to do - why did you choose chemistry in the first place?

Really, I think you need to remove Oxford from the equation and think whether you’d prefer to do PPE as a subject over chemistry as entry to Oxford is very competitive. You can show you’re numerically able by doing well in physics/chemistry A-levels (and if you were to do the first year of a chemistry degree, any maths modules).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending