The Student Room Group

Is A level maths A LOT harder than GCSE maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bethaaaaany
Hi :smile: I got an A* in GCSE maths a year early and B in GCSE further maths and then came out with a C at AS, so it's definitely a challenging A Level. However, I wasn't far off a B and I found pure maths very enjoyable and straightforward - my downfall was mechanics which I found a big struggle. However I didn't even do GCSE physics so I was learning it all from scratch and didn't enjoy it at all. If you enjoy and have a talent for physics you shouldn't have much problem. :smile:

I do enjoy physics, especially the theoretical bits :smile: And physics is probably my strongest subject.
Reply 21
Original post by AxSirlotl
I want to do A level physics and it is advised that I take A level Maths. I got a very high B in my last mock (2 marks off of an A) but I still struggle on some topics. I'm starting to worry that A level maths is way out of my ability.

Calculus is the easiest bit :wink:
Ooooh I like algebra and trig :biggrin:

Then you would enjoy A level maths a lot!
Reply 23
Do you have to have natural ability to do A level maths?
I got Bs in every mock at GCSE and in the real exam I only just scraped an A by 2 marks. However, I am now predicted an A this year in my AS exams :smile:. Just make sure you work hard and do lots of practice papers. Also http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/C1/module.php will be your best friend!
Reply 25
Original post by Emilypickett
I got Bs in every mock at GCSE and in the real exam I only just scraped an A by 2 marks. However, I am now predicted an A this year in my AS exams :smile:. Just make sure you work hard and do lots of practice papers. Also http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/C1/module.php will be your best friend!

Thanks!
I want to do A level physics and it is advised that I take A level Maths. I got a very high B in my last mock (2 marks off of an A) but I still struggle on some topics. I'm starting to worry that A level maths is way out of my ability.

my friend got an A* in physics A in maths did physics without maths and dont understand most of it and is struggling to get a C cos mechanics in maths covers more than half of it
then again the rest of maths isnt used if u can understand the maths in physics without it u will be fine
overaall c1 is easier than gcse but m1 is quite hard nowadays but u will learn 80% of it in physics but c2 is quite hard and i do further maths and find it hard so be wary
Yes maths is much harder at A level, however what you'll find is that you'll progress so quickly that you won't even realise the change that much. I haven't struggled with AS maths (or further maths) much but thinking about it, GCSE seems like a doddle now.
Original post by Amy_98
You can do it!! With a few past papers you can get those extra marks no problem! Have faith in your ability and you'll do great I'm sure 😄

I'm also doing physics and maths at A2 currently, what examboard is your physics?
It starts of quite similar to GCSE but a bit harder then it progresses to quite a lot harder. If you regularly put effort into practising questions it should be fine.
Reply 30
Original post by 1017bsquad
I'm also doing physics and maths at A2 currently, what examboard is your physics?

Both are AQA :smile:
Ooooh I like algebra and trig :biggrin:

Have a look at the crash course physics videos, should answer your question
https://youtu.be/ObHJJYvu3RE
it is harder, however some people really exaggerate and say if you get a B at gcse you shouldn't even think of doing maths at AS, it might require extra work though.I got a B too in maths at gcse but I put the work in and came out with an A at AS. I just made sure after every lesson I thoroughly went over anything I didn't understand, so make sure you go over topics you find a bit tricky as you go along rather than put it off till later and you'll realise it's doable. Also over the summer just brush up on graph transformations, solving quadratics and solving inequalities, do the harder questions on those just so you aren't lost when teaching starts, use exam solutions and go on C1 it'll have list of essential topics you need to know before you start with videos for explanation. Hope I helped :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Mariah.R
it is harder, however some people really exaggerate and say if you get a B at gcse you shouldn't even think of doing maths at AS, it might require extra work though.I got a B too in maths at gcse but I put the work in and came out with an A at AS. I just made sure after every lesson I thoroughly went over anything I didn't understand, so make sure you go over topics you find a bit tricky as you go along rather than put it off till later and you'll realise it's doable. Also over the summer just brush up on graph transformations, solving quadratics and solving inequalities, do the harder questions on those just so you aren't lost when teaching starts, use exam solutions and go on C1 it'll have list of essential topics you need to know before you start with videos for explanation. Hope I helped :smile:

Yes you did help! :biggrin: Thanks!
Original post by Amy_98
Both are AQA :smile:

Have you by any chance done the practical on shm about a wooden stick oscillating about a point?
Reply 35
Original post by 1017bsquad
Have you by any chance done the practical on shm about a wooden stick oscillating about a point?

You can't give out ISA information and I'm not going to break any rules, sorry :s-smilie: good luck with it though!!

Depends how hard your willing to work in my opinion, A Level Maths requires a lot of work from my perspective, work I never did and hence dropped maths in AS. However I still kept physics in AS and carried on into A2, AS physics isn't really that hard, just practice really.
A2 Physics things get harder and doing maths certainly helps however again it isn't necessary, you can still do well with good hard work.
Original post by Amy_98
You can't give out ISA information and I'm not going to break any rules, sorry :s-smilie: good luck with it though!!

i've already got em now, but thanks anyways!
Reply 38
Could someone give me an insight if you need natural ability for A-Level maths?
MY FRIEND MATHS IS OKAY

BUT BUT BUT BUT STAY THE FU*C*K AWAY FROM DECISION .... its the biggest bc troll ever

I found A level maths easier than i found GCSE .
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest