The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alishba-rosex
I'm doing those three too:smile:

same (:
If our question for Of Mice and Men is on the American Dream then what to you think the extract will be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by surina16
Anyone doing unit 4 instead of unit 2??

ME! Macbeth and Thomas Hardy! I'm shitting bricks about all of it.
Original post by Ella_08
same (:

what's your strongest out of all those three?(:
what's your strongest out of all those three?(:

Inspector calls because I like how you can choose the question. I have really good notes on Sheila too so I hope she comes up. I also like Priestley's message, it's easy to understand. OMAM is pretty hard because you can't really prepare for the extract question and you can't choose which question you do. Also, poetry is so hard because there's so much to learn and you can't really prepare for the unseen poetry. What about you? :wink:
Has Carlson ever been the character in the Of Mice and Men section?
Original post by Ella_08
Inspector calls because I like how you can choose the question. I have really good notes on Sheila too so I hope she comes up. I also like Priestley's message, it's easy to understand. OMAM is pretty hard because you can't really prepare for the extract question and you can't choose which question you do. Also, poetry is so hard because there's so much to learn and you can't really prepare for the unseen poetry. What about you? :wink:

My strongest is actually the OMAM because I feel like I know the characters inside out, and have a good understanding of the novel. It's such a great book. And An Inspector Calls is slightly hard for me, as I'm either on a B/A. Poetry is great though:wink: I know this thread is lit, but how are you finding lang?
My strongest is actually the OMAM because I feel like I know the characters inside out, and have a good understanding of the novel. It's such a great book. And An Inspector Calls is slightly hard for me, as I'm either on a B/A. Poetry is great though:wink: I know this thread is lit, but how are you finding lang?

Ahh ok well that's good. I'm working on Slim right now then I need to do Curley's Wife for this stupid mock i have on monday. I really don't need another mock, it's stupid. OMAM has so many connotations like "the room darkens gradually" and all the animal connotations. I prefer AIC, but i still need to do the inspector :/ You like poetry? Lol i don't. it messes my brain up completely. For me lang is so much easier... i did well on the mock. I just like the structure of it. What about you?
Original post by maisie2209
Has Carlson ever been the character in the Of Mice and Men section?

nope and i doubt he will be
Original post by JoshuaE
✱GCSE English Literature 2016 - Unit 1 and 2✱

Hey! The purpose of this thread is to be a directory for all things AQA English Lit. General discussion, revision help and the elusive predictions are all welcome.
Dates:

23rd May 2016 - Unit 1 (Exploring modern texts)

27th May 2016 - Unit 2 (Poetry across time) OR Unit 4

Resources

BBC Bitesize - English Literature (For those who don't do the OMAM and AIC)

An Inspector calls - the entire play (A particularly more contemporary version was released last year but is only available through purchase)

GCSE Pod (School subscription required)

*If you find any useful resources message me and I'll put them in*

To help introduce yourself fill the form below:

What novel, play and poetry cluster are you studying?

How are you preparing for the exam - do you feel confident for it?

Do you have any predictions for certain characters/themes?

Hello all, I am doing....
Of mice and men
AIC
Conflict Poetry

Preparations include using GCSE pod for all the literature revision as well as watching mr salles!! x
I have also done all the past papers for AQA literature
Original post by Ella_08
Yeah -age would be an ok one. But for me, i much prefer doing characters because I've planned out all my essays for pretty much all of the characters. I just have Gerald to finish and the Inspector to start. So I think I will always choose a character, no matter what.
And well considering we're the last year to do this spec I think it might be the American dream. It might say how Candy represents the American dream. Or maybe Curley will come up, he hasn't yet.
Wbu?

I really feeling like a question involving the animals significance is going to appear for part B and part A will be to analyse Candys dog shooting scene
Original post by emmakeetley1234
ME! Macbeth and Thomas Hardy! I'm shitting bricks about all of it.

Finally! Ahhh I'm so scared for it too like I just can't do the exam!!
(Macbeth and pride and prejudide)
Does anyone know what the character and voice poems were last year? Just so that I can try and predict what they'll be this year. So far, these are the ones that I have seen haven't been done yet:
The Clown Punk
Medusa
Brendon Gallacher
Give
My Last Duchess
The Hunchback in the Park
The Ruined Maid
(from 2012-2014, I had a look at the past papers. ^Those are the ones that didn't come up, so will be more likely to be in the one this year^) Although it all depends on which ones were done last year. I hope we get Medusa and The River God, they're both really easy :smile:
What are the themes for OMAM? I know there's the American Dream, Loneliness and Isolation, Friendship and Prejudice. Are there more themes?
Im sooo scared about section B of the paper because I struggle with OMAM more. Im aiming to do really well for AIC and get like 15-20/34 in OMAM haha!

Does anyone have any good revision techniques for OMAM and any suggested youtube videos?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have predictions for To Kill A Mockingbird or any links to resources/ notes on the characters, i would be very grateful as i am bricking it :eek: thanks in advance
Original post by DamnDaniel2
What are the themes for OMAM? I know there's the American Dream, Loneliness and Isolation, Friendship and Prejudice. Are there more themes?
Im sooo scared about section B of the paper because I struggle with OMAM more. Im aiming to do really well for AIC and get like 15-20/34 in OMAM haha!

Does anyone have any good revision techniques for OMAM and any suggested youtube videos?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Racism , Survival of the fittest and Under dog
aswell , im revising AIC at the moment and whats helping me is mindmaps of keys points with a few quotes and examples coming from the bubble
If anyone's looking for resources I really recommend Brodie's Notes. They were written in like the 90's but they're literally sooooo good, they go in to so much detail and analysis pretty much everything. You can get them on Amazon/Ebay for really cheap and there's ones for OMAM, LOTF, AIC and TKAM.
Original post by DamnDaniel2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other themes include gender, fate/destiny, strength/ weakness, fraternity :wink:

Also btw for my mock exam they gave us a question on Crooks. We'd never done him in class before so I was really unprepared for it and i got half marks for OMAM and 24/34 for AIC and still only got a B overall. So I wouldn't advise doing that if you want more than a B... just saying :smile:
Original post by Ella_08
Other themes include gender, fate/destiny, strength/ weakness, fraternity :wink:

Also btw for my mock exam they gave us a question on Crooks. We'd never done him in class before so I was really unprepared for it and i got half marks for OMAM and 24/34 for AIC and still only got a B overall. So I wouldn't advise doing that if you want more than a B... just saying :smile:

Hey thank you so much! Haha I am hoping for at least a B in English Lit but am aiming for an A/A*!
Just checked grade boundaries from 2013-2015 and for an A it was around 45 haha and an A* was around 6-7 marks more so yh my idea isn't that great haha :P
I just don't know how to revise for OMAM, find it so difficult lol. Right now, I've analysed Curley and his wife, Crooks and the theme racism, the theme American Dream (however need a few more quotes) but I feel like I am just doing useless revision and none of this will help me!
Original post by luciie
If anyone's looking for resources I really recommend Brodie's Notes. They were written in like the 90's but they're literally sooooo good, they go in to so much detail and analysis pretty much everything. You can get them on Amazon/Ebay for really cheap and there's ones for OMAM, LOTF, AIC and TKAM.

Hey thank you for the advice! I've heard that the book is really good and I think I am going to get it haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending