The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Aye, touché. I pray sporadically but I just did Fazr right now. :tongue:

#Goalz. Sleep now! :lol:
been doing this 20 page (40 sides) booklet of biology questions since 1am when i woke up lol, however i plan to get them done by at least 8am cos im on page 10 now :redface:
good luck everyone btw, especially those ppl going back to school on monday :yes:
:hugs:
Today is the time to stop avoiding Physics I guess :redface:
Ok got off track this week with revision😓 . I'm gonna try and do some particle physics that's I missed it in school. Been avoiding it soo much . So might as well get it done right?
Hey everyone!! Posting on this thread after more than a month!!! :eek: Would like to say that I regularly see this thread and I must say that I'm glad to see Anon_98 back! :hugs:

I just had a question: how do you all revise? I mean I make notes but I take so long! Like about an hour for two pages (not sides) of a textbook! Is there any way of making notes any quicker with enough details? I mean it's so annoying when at the end of the day I realise I haven't done much! It would be amazing it anyone could help, it's just so frustrating!!:angry:
Original post by TheTeresaLover

What subjects do you do? The advice will vary depending on that.
More fun excretion flashcards to make >.>
Original post by Zacken
What subjects do you do? The advice will vary depending on that.

Hey, I do A2 Chemistry and Biology. I used to make make notes before, but now I just feel so lazy to do that!!! :frown:
Hey, I do A2 Chemistry and Biology. I used to make make notes before, but now I just feel so lazy to do that!!! :frown:

I don't do either of those, but @aymanzayedmannan (hope you don't mind me tagging you!) should have some advice for you re: chemistry and how to revise that; he does well in chem. I've tagged him for you. :h:
Original post by Zacken
I don't do either of those, but @aymanzayedmannan (hope you don't mind me tagging you!) should have some advice for you re: chemistry and how to revise that; he does well in chem. I've tagged him for you. :h:

Thank you so much for your help! :smile: Did you get enough revision done? Seems like I took ages on making my notes!:colonhash:
Thank you so much for your help! :smile: Did you get enough revision done? Seems like I took ages on making my notes!:colonhash:

I've done literally nothing except one STEP paper in the last week and a half. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
I've done literally nothing except one STEP paper in the last week and a half. :lol:

Haha, I'v done nothing much either! started bio and gave up and them now doing chem - that too towards the end of the holidays :ashamed2: :giggle:
Haha, I'v done nothing much either! started bio and gave up and them now doing chem - that too towards the end of the holidays :ashamed2: :giggle:

You sound like you've done more than I have! So well done.

The issue with quitting school is that I now feel like everyday is a holiday and never actually get any work done. :rofl:
Original post by Zacken
You sound like you've done more than I have! So well done.

The issue with quitting school is that I now feel like everyday is a holiday and never actually get any work done. :rofl:

Oh, interesting insight. I thought I should take a few days off school to recover my lost time (win-lose situation) in the coming weeks but seems like maybe not (cause I do procastinate):colondollar:
Reply 2554
Hey everyone!! Posting on this thread after more than a month!!! :eek: Would like to say that I regularly see this thread and I must say that I'm glad to see Anon_98 back! :hugs:

I just had a question: how do you all revise? I mean I make notes but I take so long! Like about an hour for two pages (not sides) of a textbook! Is there any way of making notes any quicker with enough details? I mean it's so annoying when at the end of the day I realise I haven't done much! It would be amazing it anyone could help, it's just so frustrating!!:angry:

Hey, thanks! :hugs:

Well, here's how I revise:

Biology - I watch videos, make notes, then memorise content whilst doing papers. That way I know which topics are my weakest + stuff. Notes take me absolutely ages too + I entirely agree that it's ridiculously annoying, but I feel that there isn't any other way about it so I just put up with it. :sad:

I suppose if they take you really, really long then you could type them up rather than making them via pen to paper? That's the only method I can possibly think of that could be faster. If that sounds like your thing then I'd recommend just doing it on a word document tbh, but obviously there are lots of online websites designed specifically for it such as Anki/Getrevising/quizlet that may be useful.. (although they might be more flashcard based, not sure. :s-smilie: ) However, I find that writing them all out makes it easier to digest and relate to and I'm equally slow at typing as I am writing therefore it'd make little/no difference to me but it might be worth a try!

Chemistry - I make notes primarily using my class notes as they are quite good. Then I proceed to answer the mass of questions that our school has provided us with and work my way through the syllabus, ticking each topic I am comfortable with off the list. If your school hasn't provided you with much then there are lots of websites online on certain topics which you can work through as you are revising. 'A-levelchemisty.co.uk' is supposed to be good. I usually only watch videos on yt if I'm finding a particular concept overly difficult and feel like it needs explaining properly etc.The ' E-rintoul' channel is rather good and explains things incredibly well, in my opinion. After I've done all this, then I start past papers.

Maths - I watch all the videos first, make notes then start past papers. Recently I have been doing papers whilst making my notes though. If I find a particular topic difficult then I refer back to the stuff I've created/work through the examples in the exercise book/ ask on the TSR Maths Forum until I get it.

I think in order to make notes fast you've got to be efficient. There are times when when I just accidentally daydream for ages whilst making them which means I'm working at a slower pace and spend way longer than I should. I also spend ages choosing which coloured fine liners/highlighters/pens I'm going to write in/use next. If by any chance you have this problem too, then perhaps you should set a 25 minute timer. - Work as fast and efficiently as possible during the period then take a 5/10 minute break and repeat until you've finished. Also, make sure that you've only got the things that you need on your desk. So, decide beforehand what you wish to use and if you choose a red, pink, blue pen then only have paper/textbooks and a red, pink and blue pen in front of you. That way you won't be wasting time rummaging through your pencil case etc + it may result in you completing everything at a faster rate? The lack of clutter will also help you to focus more. Are you listening to music alongside btw? If so, perhaps that's the factor which is causing your 'slow..ness' and maybe you should see if you work better without it?

:smile:
Oh, interesting insight. I thought I should take a few days off school to recover my lost time (win-lose situation) in the coming weeks but seems like maybe not (cause I do procastinate):colondollar:

Original post by Anon_98

If I find a particular topic difficult then I refer back to the stuff I've created/work through the examples in the exercise book/ ask on the TSR Maths Forum until I get it.

I cannot stress how important the bit I've bolded is.
Original post by Zacken

No worries, but you know that chem is my worst right now :lol:

First off, what spec are you following for chemistry? I believe most boards have more or less the same topics with slight differences.

Instead of making your own notes (which admittedly is a waste of time), try looking through the ones on Chemrevise - my teacher jokes that if more students found out about this site then he wouldn't have a job :lol: I've personally printed them out and compiled them into one huge A2 chemistry book and it's like my main reference notes.

The second thing I'll tell you is to be extremely confident in the more mathematical side of chem such as equilibrium, pH and molar calculations. Most students will be picking up these marks and you have to secure them in order to aim for a high grade. Adequate practice will pay off here.

Transition metals, organic chemistry and synthetic routes will need a really good understanding, but you will also start noticing that there are strict mark schemes for these questions, which bring me to probably the most important point - past papers. Make sure you do every past paper available to you, leaving the most recent ones as mocks. You will notice a in the kinds of questions they tend to ask. Definitely see what mistakes you're making and write all of them down in a notebook so that you don't make them again.

Now if only I could start following my own advice...
Reply 2557
:work: 7:00pm. :work:
~Logging out time!~

Okay, I am going to try and get a bit further with the C4 videos + notes in this block. :smile:
Reply 2558
Did a Chem 4 paper despite having a massive gash on me hand. Time to mark.
Gonna try and finish all of my Biological Molecules booklet in half an hour (ambitious but I'm sick to death of this booklet now)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending