The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine in English, Timisoara, Romania

Hello! :-)
I thought I would start a thread about the vet med course in English in Timisoara, Romania since I am a second year student here. Any questions about the course, life here etc., please feel free to ask. :-)

!!! IMPORTANT !!! You do NOT need to apply through an agent to study here!!! You just need to contact the university directly at [email protected] and prepare all the required documents/translations. It will be a bit time-consuming and certified translations are costly, but it will save you A LOT of money compared to using an agent!!!

!!! If you want more info, please join 'Veterinary students of Timisoara / Etudiants vétérinaires de Timisoara' facebook group where someone will answer your questions as I don't check this place often anymore. !!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sunflower85
I thought I would start a thread about the vet med course in English in Timisoara, Romania since I am a second year student here. Any questions about the course, life here etc., please feel free to ask. :-)

what are the fees like?
what is typical living cost per month (or week)?
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
what are the fees like?
what is typical living cost per month (or week)?

Hi! The fees are 3200 euro, which is roughly £2400 per year. Romania is generally quite cheap. You can get a studio for 200-400 euro depending on the quality of the place/distance to uni etc. However, if you want to make it super cheap and don't mind a simple place and sharing with other people, a place in a room for 3 people in the dorm is 75 euro (around £60) per month with all the utilities included.
The course was originally run 3 years in English and 3 in Romanian, but now the university agreed on the whole course being run in English only and it also got approved by their Ministry. From September 2017, 4th year students will be able to continue studying in English for the first time ever.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi! The fees are 3200 euro, which is roughly £2400 per year. Romania is generally quite cheap. You can get a studio for 200-400 euro depending on the quality of the place/distance to uni etc. However, if you want to make it super cheap and don't mind a simple place and sharing with other place, a place in a room for 3 people in the dorm is 75 euro (around £60) per month with all the utilities included.
The course currently is 3 years in English, 3 in Romanian, but this should change very soon as the university agreed on the whole course being run in English and now they just need an approval from their Ministry, but they say it's a formality (so for people starting in September, it is 99.9% that the whole course will be run in English).

thank you for all this information
Mu niece is considering veterinary abroad.

One more question
How difficult is everyday life due to language issues?
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
thank you for all this information
Mu niece is considering veterinary abroad.

One more question
How difficult is everyday life due to language issues?

You're welcome.
It is quite easy, I have to say. There's an international group of people (another university also offers human medicine course in English and French) and many people speak at least a bit of English. Our campus is on the outskirts of Timisoara. It's like a little village and it feels safe here. We're busy with lectures and labs and weeks go by fast. Some teachers speak better English, some worse, but in general it's a good alternative to studying in the UK. The uni is EAEVE approved, so there would be no problems with registering with RCVS and working in the UK post-graduation.
(edited 8 years ago)

Hi I am considering applying for human medicine at Timisoara. But there isn't enough information online. How do i apply ? through email or through post ? and what are the odds of getting in ? How hard are their entrance exams ?
Reply 6
Original post by umair2016
Hi I am considering applying for human medicine at Timisoara. But there isn't enough information online. How do i apply ? through email or through post ? and what are the odds of getting in ? How hard are their entrance exams ?

The veterinary medicine and the human medicine courses are run by two separate universities placed in two different locations within Timisoara. I know you can study human medicine at Victor Babes University, but I have no knowledge of their application process. I think there is plenty of information on their website:
http://www.umft.eu/admission-2016-of-eu-eea-and-swiss-citizens_444
Good luck!
Reply 7
Hello,
I am interested in applying to do veterinary medicine in Romania. I have a french Baccalaureate with grades that are acceptable to UK Universities but I have not been able to gain a place. Could you please help me with some information about the application process, do you have to use an agency or can you apply directly to the University? Is there good support at the University for finding accommodation? And lastly and most important are you happy with the teaching you are receiving?
Thanks for your help.
Reply 8
Original post by Donkey36
Hello,
I am interested in applying to do veterinary medicine in Romania. I have a french Baccalaureate with grades that are acceptable to UK Universities but I have not been able to gain a place. Could you please help me with some information about the application process, do you have to use an agency or can you apply directly to the University? Is there good support at the University for finding accommodation? And lastly and most important are you happy with the teaching you are receiving?
Thanks for your help.

Hi. :-) You can find information about the application process on their website:
http://usab-tm.ro/index.php?lb=en&id=1082
Download the checklist from there and you will see all the documents that you need to have for a complete application file. You send all the paperwork directly to the university and they send part of your application to their Ministry to recognise your education acquired abroad (this usually takes a while).
It took me a long time to have my file ready as you need to get certified Romanian translations and certified copies of certain documents (it is all written in the checklist).
You should also contact the university by e-mail at this address: [email protected]
You just need to introduce yourself and explain your situation and I'm sure, they will respond and give you more information.
In terms of accommodation, you can apply for dorms for a start, they're not amazing, but at least cheap and a good back-up. You could also look for sth on airbnb or similar sites just for a week or two and get a place when you get here or come a week before the start of academic year and try to find sth then. There's also a group on facebook for finding accommodation in Timisoara.
With regards to teaching, it's okay (some things better, some worse, like everywhere...), but also, I'm a mature student and I worked for a couple of years before coming here, so sometimes it seems to me that everything is too slow. There are a lot of background subjects, especially in the first and second year (like chemistry, biochemistry, biophysics, animal and plant biology, genetics, microbiology, anatomy, physiology..etc), so it will not feel like you're going to be a vet until later, but if you study, you can easily pass them all... and in the end we will get what we want from here. :-) The environment is good, you will meet many nice people and most of all it's EAEVE approved and comparing to UK, it's a very cheap place to study and live.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for all the useful information, it is so good to talk to someone who has actually experienced the application process and started the course work. I will follow up the leads you have sent me and will be contacting Prof. Morariu.
Questions arising are, did you apply for more than one University or did you select Timisoara? Do you know if the course work has a similar structure in all the universities? For the certified translations is it possible to arrange this work outside Romania?
Thank you once more for your help, for once I feeI am getting real information about studying in Romania.
Thanks for all the useful information, it is so good to talk to someone who has actually experienced the application process and started the course work. I will follow up the leads you have sent me and will be contacting Prof. Morariu.Questions arising are, did you apply for more than one University or did you select Timisoara? Do you know if the course work has a similar structure in all the universities? For the certified translations is it possible to arrange this work outside Romania?Thank you once more for your help, for once I feeI am getting real information about studying in Romania.

You're welcome. :-) This is why I started this thread, I thought it would be helpful to give some insider's tips because when I was applying, I didn't find anyone to help me.
From what I've heard, the course work is quite similar between Romanian universities. When I was looking for veterinary medicine courses, I sent e-mails to both Timisoara and Cluj-Napoca, but I never got a response from the second one. I heard, if you want to apply to Cluj, the best thing is to go there in person. Their course has been run for the whole duration in English for many years and they've been more popular (you also have a vet med course in French there), so apparently they don't bother with replying to everyone as they get enough interest anyway. The university there has a full EAEVE approval (they're also more expensive, 5000 euros per year and the costs of living in Cluj are higher than in Timisoara; on the other hand, I heard you would get a better student experience there as their campus is located closer to the centre and other universities and that their course is tougher, so really it depends what you are after...).
With regards to translations and paperwork, I did everything in my country. I gathered all the papers and sent them by courier to the faculty. He did the rest and informed me of the positive outcome around the end of July. I came to Romania for the first time when I was starting the course at the end of September. It was a bit strange at the beginning and being used to British way of organising things, it took me a while to get used to it; for example, we didn't get a map of the buildings and lecture theatres and we had to work out where the classes were; the dorm administration lady doesn't speak English, so people staying in dorms needed help from English speaking Romanian students when moving in; there were probably a few other weird situations that I can't recall right now...but looking from perspective, it seems funny and silly, as the campus is not as big and it wasn't particularly hard to find places and we always managed to find people speaking English.
I also accept and acknowledge the fact that this is Romania, not England, so things are and will be different, but at the same time, this university allows me to get the profession I've been dreaming of and the education, I would never be able to afford in the UK.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Thanks for the latest message and all the insight it gives me.
I have a list of 4 universities in Romania which are supposed to do veterinary medicine I could study in French or English, all my education to Bac was in France. I have started a Bio-veterinary Science degree in the UK as I hoped this would help me integrate. I would now like to continue my studies in English but in veterinary medicine. I was told by one agency that all Romanian vet colleges are now approved EAEVE. The problem for me as it must have been for you is to decide where it might be best to do my studies, if I can be accepted. How many people are actually studying with you in English?
I will as I said follow the steps you suggested, and will also try and get some application forms for other universities to try and see what is offered.
I will keep in touch.
Thanks for the latest message and all the insight it gives me.
I have a list of 4 universities in Romania which are supposed to do veterinary medicine I could study in French or English, all my education to Bac was in France. I have started a Bio-veterinary Science degree in the UK as I hoped this would help me integrate. I would now like to continue my studies in English but in veterinary medicine. I was told by one agency that all Romanian vet colleges are now approved EAEVE. The problem for me as it must have been for you is to decide where it might be best to do my studies, if I can be accepted. How many people are actually studying with you in English?
I will as I said follow the steps you suggested, and will also try and get some application forms for other universities to try and see what is offered.
I will keep in touch.

No problem. EAEVE updated their list of approved universities and now, Timisoara, Bucharest and Cluj are all fully approved and Iasi - not approved. You can see for yourself here:
https://www.eaeve.org/fileadmin/downloads/establishments_status/EAEVE_Establishments_Status_November_2017_approved_by_ExCom_on_29.01.2018.pdf

If you've done biovet science before, there is a possibility for you here to be exempt from some modules, if they are similar.
The total number of students accepted per year is 30 (this number is the same for both, Timisoara and Cluj). We're 20 in the second year, 30 in the first and 10 in the third.
Good luck with your applications!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Hey im planning to apply to cluj for dentistry. Could someone tell me hows the student life and university for dentistry? Thank you!
Original post by jamjarz
Hey im planning to apply to cluj for dentistry. Could someone tell me hows the student life and university for dentistry? Thank you!

Hi. I have no knowledge of the dentistry university, but my veterinary medicine friends in Cluj really enjoy it there.
When I applied for vet med in Timisoara, I just followed the directions on the website and also contacted the person in charge of international admissions. I would suggest to contact the dentistry international office and informally enquire about the application process if their website doesn't make it clear.
Reply 15
Hi. I have no knowledge of the dentistry university, but my veterinary medicine friends in Cluj really enjoy it there.
When I applied for vet med in Timisoara, I just followed the directions on the website and also contacted the person in charge of international admissions. I would suggest to contact the dentistry international office and informally enquire about the application process if their website doesn't make it clear.

But is there corruption in the university youre studying? I heard the professors take bribes from students to pass them..
Original post by jamjarz
But is there corruption in the university youre studying? I heard the professors take bribes from students to pass them..

Well, you can always reverse it and say that students are slackers and think that just because they come from abroad, they can pass with no effort, so in some cases they attempt to bribe professors.

I never heard of this at my uni. As a general rule, if you study, you pass. I study for myself and to be a good, competent vet. If you just want to get the paper, you might as well not bother with coming all the way here...
Hi! I would like to study veterinary medicine but back in my country I have 2 younger brothers and 3.500€ seem too much to my father because in some years the 3 of us will study at the same time. Is there any way to get a scholarship? Or to reduce the cost of the university?
Original post by Aphroditepap
Hi! I would like to study veterinary medicine but back in my country I have 2 younger brothers and 3.500€ seem too much to my father because in some years the 3 of us will study at the same time. Is there any way to get a scholarship? Or to reduce the cost of the university?

Hi. I know too well that financial side of things can be a struggle...
However, I am not aware of any scholarships that would be available to international students. Maybe there's a way you could get a student loan in your country that you would start paying off when you get your first job? I know they exist in England, Germany and Poland, but I know nothing about Greece (judging from your nickname, correct me if I'm wrong).
Alternatively, if you're very commited, you can spend some time learning Romanian language beforehand, pass a language exam and study together with the Romanian students. It works out a lot cheaper and combined with staying in dorms may make it affordable for you.
Sorry, I can't offer you any better advice.
My daughter coudn't get paper from office that she started studing in this september in Veterinar University in Timisoara. She paid ready 5000€ to agent. How this is possible? She cant get money from her own country without this certificate from studing in this University.Should I come to school organized thatVery dissapointMother

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending