The Student Room Group

Do I want to study Medicine any more?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etomidate
Honestly, I think you would be mad to apply for medicine in this country given what is currently going on.

Who says that the OP has to stay in the UK?

1) Apply to UK medicine school for the (relatively) cheap school fees
2) Move to America
3) ???
4) Profit.
Original post by Another

2) Move to America
3) ???
4) Profit.
No.3 has been omitted for tax reasons. 4. Lots and lots of monies
Original post by Another

2) Move to America
3) ???
4) Profit.

Yep, it's as simple as that.

Could you come up with some solutions to achieve world peace whilst you're at it please?
Original post by The_Dragon_
I'm in the same position. I really want to go into medicine but I love politics as well, so i'm hoping I can still stay involved even when i go off to med school. Also its good to have a real job before going into politics; you don't want to be one of those pesky career politicians lol :wink:

So did you decide to go into medicine because of the job prospects and then politics could be a fall back? Or did you think about going down the politics route entirely?
Original post by mollyjoy1998
So did you decide to go into medicine because of the job prospects and then politics could be a fall back? Or did you think about going down the politics route entirely?

No not at all, i've always wanted to go into medicine and still do; and certainly not because of job prospects - 5 years at uni to be on £22,000 a year isn't fantastic. Politics is more of a hobby for me and whilst long into the future I may consider standing, I want to have many years of real world experience; so I may go into it when I retire or something, who knows lol :biggrin:
Original post by The_Dragon_
No not at all, i've always wanted to go into medicine and still do; and certainly not because of job prospects - 5 years at uni to be on £22,000 a year isn't fantastic. Politics is more of a hobby for me and whilst long into the future I may consider standing, I want to have many years of real world experience; so I may go into it when I retire or something, who knows lol :biggrin:

Good for you! That way you can get the best of both worlds!
Original post by Another

2) Move to America
3) ???
4) Profit.

Move to America where you have to do a bachelors degree beforehand, then spend 4 ish years in medical school, all with insane fees ($50,000 or more plus living expenses). Then you go through a 3-7 year residency, and on top of that you need to take exams to become board certified, then you have a fellowship before becoming an attending/consultant. All while paying off at least $200,000 for 8 years of student loans and apparently not many universities fund international students enough for that. US systems long, slightly easier here apart from our failing NHS.
Original post by Democracy
Yep, it's as simple as that.

Could you come up with some solutions to achieve world peace whilst you're at it please?

Sure, right here:

1) Remove all traces of the human race through nuclear warfare
2) Done.

Original post by amalick1029
Move to America where you have to do a bachelors degree beforehand, then spend 4 ish years in medical school, all with insane fees ($50,000 or more plus living expenses). Then you go through a 3-7 year residency, and on top of that you need to take exams to become board certified, then you have a fellowship before becoming an attending/consultant. All while paying off at least $200,000 for 8 years of student loans and apparently not many universities fund international students enough for that. US systems long, slightly easier here apart from our failing NHS.

I take it you haven't read step No.1, which pretty much cuts out your 8 years worth of obtaining the degree in the first place
After that, apart from 2 years worth of conversion paperwork/exams, it's really no different to being a doctor in the UK. Did you really think that our english medical students graduate, and are suddenly qualified for surgery and consultancy straight after Uni?
Original post by Another

2) Move to America
3) ???
4) Profit.

Forgot: 1a, have enough money to pay for USMLE, 1b, sit and score highly in said USMLE exams, 1c, match to a residency program that not only a) interests you but b) will sponsor an H1B for you..

It's very difficult to complete all of these steps without full commitment.

A better idea would be to move to the UAE (no tax), Aus (higher earning potential) or somewhere in Asia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyjoy1998
Since I have been young, I have always been adamant that I will pursue a career in the sciences. In recent years I have wanted to pursue medicine as I think that environment would be a constant learning environment whilst helping contribute to my community (or others if I eventually move abroad). However, I seem to be stuck at a dead end with how I feel about pursuing this.
I have always been passionate about politics and from a recent meetup with students at Oxford University I thought that it could be possible for me to do a PPE degree, or another degree that is quite humanities based, which is a completely different route to what I have been studying for. Yet, I still have a strong passion for the sciences and love the subjects I'm studying at college (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics). So I am completely stuck as to what I'm supposed to do. Since I will have to start the UCAS process in a couple of months it is starting to worry me because of the varied deadlines depending on what degree I opt to study for.
If anyone is/has been in the same situation as me please help! Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

As stated, easily possible to combine medicine and politics. If you go into public health you can opt to dedicate your career to providing evidence to guide health policy, sit on various council boards etc. Equally most of the higher ups involved in medical politics have no healthcare training at all (or indeed, know anything about medicine and hospitals whatsoever based on a certain person heading up the Department of Health at the moment) so a degree like PPE could open those doors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending