The Student Room Group

How to use past papers to revise?

I wish to incorporate past papers in my revision plan. I feel I am not ready to be completely sittingthem under mock exam conditions but I don’t want to leave it off any longer.

Is it a goodidea to use past papers alongside revision? Ie, I want to do a past paper andthen revise for a certain question I got wrong. I’ve beenputting off doing this because I would be using up mock exam papers.

How many should I leave to do under exam conditions? The more recent years have been alot harder as well (2010-2013), so I want to use them to revise from but shouldn’tI leave harder papers to do under exam conditions?Should I do most of them and just do them again?

Should I revise any other way for maths? (quite confused)

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JulieEdiz
I wish to incorporate past papers in my revision plan. I feel I am not ready to be completely sittingthem under mock exam conditions but I don’t want to leave it off any longer.

Is it a goodidea to use past papers alongside revision? Ie, I want to do a past paper andthen revise for a certain question I got wrong. I’ve beenputting off doing this because I would be using up mock exam papers.

How many should I leave to do under exam conditions? The more recent years have been alot harder as well (2010-2013), so I want to use them to revise from but shouldn’tI leave harder papers to do under exam conditions?Should I do most of them and just do them again?

Thank you.

I'm going to revise as much as I can and then do a past paper to what level I am at. What exam board are you with?
Reply 2
Original post by JulieEdiz

Thank you.

It's my personal opinion that past papers are the best way to "revise" maths. Practicing and understanding techniques is more important than rote learning facts in mathematics. One of the best ways to do this is to do questions on past papers or from other sources, so you know what you're doing and why.
Don't sit it like an exam. Write the answers from the mark scheme into the paper about 5-6 times. THEN sit it as a test.
:goodluck:
Reply 4
Original post by draculaura
Don't sit it like an exam. Write the answers from the mark scheme into the paper about 5-6 times. THEN sit it as a test.

What...? You almost sound serious.

of course remembering the mark scheme for that specific paper will get you good marks in the real thing
Original post by Zacken

No, I'm being serious. But you have to remember the answer when you write it down though, otherwise it doesn't work.
Original post by thefatone
of course remembering the mark scheme for that specific paper will get you good marks in the real thing

You do remember the answers you put down. Read the question, think about it, look at the mark scheme, write it down.
Reply 8
Past papers are the best way to revise especially when timed. IMHO. But they are dull, very dull... Unless it's Maths :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

This is an elite method, your ignorance has exposed you as a mathematical casual, hand in your Cambridge offer and exchange it for a London met offer at your nearest UCAS thingy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by drandy76
This is an elite method, your ignorance has exposed you as a mathematical casual, hand in your Cambridge offer and exchange it for a London met offer at your nearest UCAS thingy

NO PLEASE, I swear I memorise markschemes tooooo!! I am an l33t hackzorx
You do remember the answers you put down. Read the question, think about it, look at the mark scheme, write it down.

seriously this doesn't really work...
there'll be like 1 question which will be repeated year to year which will be exactly the same
i get what you mean as in there'll be a handful of answer which will answer a set number of questions in chemistry for example but besides that not really...
seriously this doesn't really work...
there'll be like 1 question which will be repeated year to year which will be exactly the same
i get what you mean as in there'll be a handful of answer which will answer a set number of questions in chemistry for example but besides that not really...

I don't know what exam board you took/take but most examiners are incredibly lazy and repeat the same questions over and over again.
Original post by Zacken
NO PLEASE, I swear I memorise markschemes tooooo!! I am an l33t hackzorx

Swear? Okay what is the answer for step 2 2009 q4?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know what exam board you took/take but most examiners are incredibly lazy and repeat the same questions over and over again.

i can tell you, you'd be ****ed for maths girl

seriously they're not the same, they'll be variations but not the same
Reply 15
Original post by drandy76
Swear? Okay what is the answer for step 2 2009 q4?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i can tell you, you'd be ****ed for maths girl

seriously they're not the same, they'll be variations but not the same

Oh god no no not for maths. I'm talking for things like science, ICT etc etc. Basically subjects in which you just need to know information. It won't work for anything else. Lmao if you do that for English you'd end up with a U.
Original post by Zacken

No joke fam you've actually read my mind there, absolute scenes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Oh god no no not for maths. I'm talking for things like science, ICT etc etc. Basically subjects in which you just need to know information. It won't work for anything else. Lmao if you do that for English you'd end up with a U.

This is in the maths forum. :tongue:

my point exactly
that won't greatly help OP ._.
i take maths, philosophy physics and chem i mean it might work for chem and physics but not way for maths and philosophy

Quick Reply

Latest