The Student Room Group

Is 34k pounds a livable wage in Downtown Belfast? Evaluating a job offer.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
Idk why this thread is talking about uni fees. He's not even going to be studying at Queens or UU.

Yeah, this is decidedly :topic:. :frown:

I wonder how long it will last for though. :holmes:

Long enough for me to jump on the gravy train, one hopes. Anything could happen after the Assembly elections in May, though. :K:
Reply 21
Original post by Hydeman
Yeah, this is decidedly :topic:. :frown:

Long enough for me to jump on the gravy train, one hopes. Anything could happen after the Assembly elections in May, though. :K:

*prays it doesn't* :tongue:
Original post by Airmed
*prays it doesn't* :tongue:

You cheeky little git. :tongue:
Reply 23
Original post by Hydeman
You cheeky little git. :tongue:

I try. :h:
Reply 24
Ok to get back on topic. I'm not interested in attending university because I'm graduating in two weeks. I'm evaluating this full time opportunity to become a Database Administrator for a company in Belfast. Thank you all for your great support and realistic descriptions. So can someone now break down what 34k would get me? I hear someone said I can get an apartment from 300-500 a month. I plan on saving perhaps 700-1000 a month if possible. If I receive 2200 pounds after taxes. This would go like....

2200-500 for rent=1700
1700-200 for utilities= 1500
1500-700 for savings= 800
800-300 for fun= 500
500-250 for food= 250
250 left, unless I have more expenses that I'm missing.
(edited 8 years ago)
"Annual earningsIn 2015, median gross annual earnings for full-time employees in NI were £25,800, an increase of 5.5% over the year. This was lower than the UK annual earnings of £27,600 (an increase of 1.6% since 2014). "

source
https://www.detini.gov.uk/news/statistical-press-release-northern-ireland-annual-survey-hours-and-earnings
Original post by Tonytime
So can someone now break down what 34k would get me? I hear someone said I can get an apartment from 300-500 a month. I plan on saving perhaps 700-1000 a month if possible. If I receive 2200 pounds after taxes. This would go like....

2200-500 for rent=1700
1700-200 for utilities= 1500
1500-700 for savings= 800
800-300 for fun= 500
500-250 for food= 250
250 left, unless I have more expenses that I'm missing.

You're missing council tax (which depends on the property that you eventually rent) and £200 for utilities seems a bit optimistic; it would have to cover bills for electricity, water, gas and, if you intend to watch TV, you'll also need to pay £145 (I'm not sure if it's possible to pay this in monthly instalments) annually for a TV licence. Still, you could probably make it work. :dontknow:

Also, £500/month for rent... The person who looked up the rents said that he found one bedroom houses costing £200 a week, so not sure how £500 would cover it. Again, I'm not sure where exactly you intend to live, so you'll need to visit a property website like www.rightmove.co.uk and check the typical rents for the kind of place you're looking for within a reasonable distance of your workplace, since you don't intend to get a car.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Is £34k your actual salary or what you think you will get? Best to work of real figures rather than just converting what you would get in America to sterling. Belfast generally has lower salaries than a lot of the rest of the U.K - just so your aware.

If you wanna live in Belfast, depending on what your looking for accommodation wise and where you wanna be, if your looking to live alone you could pay £800+ a month for a decent place.

Look on propertynews or propertypal for houses to rent in NI.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tonytime
Hello everyone,

Thank you for being kind to view my post. I'm a college graduate that is evaluating a job offer as a Database Administrator position in Belfast, UK. I plan on living in the city center as that's a personal preference. Salary is the topic of this discussion. In America a Junior Database Administrators salary or Database Administrator 1 ranges from 65k-85k USD. Which is a solid living wage in the USA which can buy you a nice house and car, if done smartly. However, I don't know what this translates to in Northern Ireland, Belfast. I did research and found that this resolved to around 34-42k in Belfast. Let's say I got a 34k salary and I were to be living in downtown Belfast. Would I be able to live well there? Would I be able to buy new clothes, take friends out to eat, go out on Saturday nights to the pubs, and etc. Would you say I can live comfortable off of 34k pounds a year in Belfast? Thank you everyone.

sorry the rent is £200 a month i meant!
Original post by john2054
https://www.propertypal.com/property-to-rent/belfast
https://www.propertypal.com/property-to-rent/belfast

rent looks like £200 a week for a single bedroom house.

I think the money would be comfortable. And Irish people tend to be friendly and talkative. But it is important that you make the effort to get out, and i don't know what the night life is like. Hopefully you will have a good time if you go. Also you may have difficulty understanding the irish accent.

University fees are around £9000 per year here now, but i think things are a bit cheaper. But then if you are going out all the time, i think it will be easy to piss it all away. But then this will apply to wherever you are from?

?

The range I found there was £46 to £115 a week, that's a far cry from £200...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
?

The range I found there was £46 to £115 a week, that's a far cry from £200...

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks if you click on the link i provided, you can see that there are single apartment/houses for £200 a month. which is within that price bracket.
Original post by john2054
thanks if you click on the link i provided, you can see that there are single apartment/houses for £200 a month. which is within that price bracket.

Yeah, £200 a month = £46/week. You said £200/week not per month.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah, £200 a month = £46/week. You said £200/week not per month.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes but if you read my post from 14 hours ago, i corrected that, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending