The Student Room Group

Any non religious Muslims around?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QE2
20% of Nandos serve halal chicken. 100% of that halal chicken is pre-stunned (so not halal, according to some).
https://www.nandos.co.uk/help/does-nandos-serve-halal-chicken

Some say, to get around this, the electric water bath isn't set to highest setting - so chickens are still "conscious" but "immobilised" before slaughter...

I don't know the ins and outs and legalities of it though...

Oh I thought it'd be bigger than 20% - maybe because I live in a city so it seems that way :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Alisha*
No it isn't. What is this going to do to your life??

Yes, it is.

Why's that relevant? What's asking me that question going to do to your life?

To answer your question, the idea is to try to establish facts and knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QE2
If I (and others. I could be mistaken) verifiably witnessed something that could have no possible, natural explanation, then of course, I would have to consider the supernatural.

Let me ask you a similar one.
When all the claims of religion (Islam, in your case) have been shown either to have natural explanations, or to be false (or at best, unknown), why do you still insist that it must be the supernatural, despite there being zero evidence for the supernatural?

Would you accept him as God though if there was no possible natural explanation then? I'm only asking that to clarify because saying you'd consider the supernatural seems vague and doesn't address divinity :holmes:

I still believe in Islam based on certain logical reasoning which affirms the need for a creative entity with a will, and from then on everything else makes logical sense to me.
Reply 243
Is it really necessary for you to always comment on a thread to do with religion??
He asked me a question. I answered it and asked it back at him. What's the problem?

You seem to try to seduce people.
I merely try to present an objective, rational and evidence-based approach to religion.
If you find that seductive, so much the better!

Why are you wasting your time telling people where and where they can't post? Anyone can post anywhere they like and resorting to the usual "you have no lives" retort is usually indicative that you have no argument or refutation, so instead resort to insults in an attempt to distract.
Reply 245
Original post by chemting
Some say, to get around this, the electric water bath isn't set to highest setting - so chickens are still "conscious" but "immobilised" before slaughter...

I don't know the ins and outs and legalities of it though...
Most commercial slaughterhouses would not risk the legal or commercial repercussions of such deception. Just imaging losing the Nando's account through a breach of contract that incurs no benefit!
Original post by Zamestaneh
Would you accept him as God though if there was no possible natural explanation then? I'm only asking that to clarify because saying you'd consider the supernatural seems vague and doesn't address divinity :holmes:

I still believe in Islam based on certain logical reasoning which affirms the need for a creative entity with a will, and from then on everything else makes logical sense to me.

Even such a scenario would not prove the person was God. It could be an advanced alien species, an enlightened person like those that Buddhism believes in, Satan and virtually any powerful and magical being.
Reply 247
Perhaps some people feel the need to guide people to the right path.
Perhaps it's like giving to charity - you don't see the beneficial effects, but you hope that somewhere, someone's life is improved.
Perhaps it's an excercise in creative writing.
Or maybe part of a research project.
Could be doing it for the LOLs.
Who knows?
Who cares? (Well, apart from you, obvs)
Reply 248
Original post by Zamestaneh
I don't know. Without experiencing the actual events, it's impossible to say. Obviously, it's possible, but even accepting the supernatural as the explanation for an event, it is still some ways to validating the concept of a personal, interventionist god as described in the Abrahamic religions.

What logical reasoning?
Why do you claim that there must be a creative entity with a will that needs affirming? Sounds rather like "begging the question".

Obviously, if you start off with some unsupported premises about the need for the god that you already believe in, to exist, you will find it easier to rationalise it!
But even so, without any evidence for the supernatural, and with natural explanations for almost everything that was attributed to gods in 7th century Arabia, I'm still left wondering why you see a god as the best explanation?
Religion is the opiate of the masses
Original post by Rhythmical
Guess. :tongue:

That is so true. If I am being honest, I think slowly it could die out based on the fact that these days, a lot of people choose careers over marriage and build their lives up. We're too busy thinking about our lives that religion bypasses everything. There are many Muslims who don't observe or never fully adhere to the rules but they would never admit it and that is what annoys me. But I do understand your viewpoint but thank you anyways. :smile:

Yeah that annoys me too, I don't think marriage has a big deal with religion tho, do you? I feel like religion is supposed to make your life easy not hard, at the end of the day religion is a 'guideline' that assists you in life not a 'rule book'
And you're very welcome pal :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QE2
Perhaps some people feel the need to guide people to the right path.
Perhaps it's like giving to charity - you don't see the beneficial effects, but you hope that somewhere, someone's life is improved.
Perhaps it's an excercise in creative writing.
Or maybe part of a research project.
Could be doing it for the LOLs.
Who knows?
Who cares? (Well, apart from you, obvs)

What, guide me in not believing in God? And doing all sorts of crazy stuff?
I'm not stupid to not believe in a creator.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by maryamrangel
Yeah that annoys me too, I don't think marriage has a big deal with religion tho, do you? I feel like religion is supposed to make your life easy not hard, at the end of the day religion is a 'guideline' that assists you in life not a 'rule book'
And you're very welcome pal :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree - some people are forced to marry someone they don't love or even know just because they cannot date and interact with men. Marriage is for life - no one can force you on who you should marry.
Original post by QE2
Most commercial slaughterhouses would not risk the legal or commercial repercussions of such deception. Just imaging losing the Nando's account through a breach of contract that incurs no benefit!

Ah yes of course. That method is halal certified anyway so unless you're a strict believer it shouldn't matter. It was just a fringe incident that I read about.

It's very interesting to see what lengths people will go to for religion...

It's not stupid to not believe in a creator, especially when there's no evidence for one. Resorting to insults is just making you look worse.

What Plantagenet Crown said. And with regards to 'crazy stuff' -- how do you know that it's crazy?

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's not stupid to not believe in a creator, especially when there's no evidence for one. Resorting to insults is just making you look worse.

Imagine if any one of us behaved like this. The TSR Gestapo would be out to get us in minutes! :lol:
Reply 256
It's halal.

Its not, I wonder how you can be so sure, because not all nandos restaurants are halal only 66 out if 362 (their official website), and I never told where my area is :smile:

But for your info, in Guildford it's not halal! No sign in restaurant, name not in the list on the website and I personally asked.

So no, it's not.
Reply 257
The problem is that many people are born in to Islam and thus do not have that believing heart and will of a convert. I suggest you read the Quran. You read specifically the mekkan verses (verses that were revealed during the very beginigng of Islam in Mekkah that are about the core principals of Islam
Original post by Rhythmical
I agree - some people are forced to marry someone they don't love or even know just because they cannot date and interact with men. Marriage is for life - no one can force you on who you should marry.

Yeah exactly, a lot of religious people also go one about marriage being half your faith and so there's extra pressure to get married. But one of the 4 women who had 'completed' their Islam was Maryam, and as far as I can remember I'm pretty sure she wasn't married lol, I think culture has a lot more part to play in the matter than religion sometimes.
I think it's silly to stop your child from interacting with the opposite gender, it's only going to make them do the exact opposite, besides this is modern day England, you mind as we'll isolate yourself in the mountains if you expect your child to not interact lmao. Also why would god punish a person for talking to somebody of the opposite gender it's just silly, and loving somebody whether your married to them or not, god isn't going punish you for showing love that's just the opposite of what god is supposed to be and what is encouraged.
I feel a bit blessed knowing I never had silly restrictions like that, my dad used to be Christian before so he's quite the liberal old man haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maryamrangel
Yeah exactly, a lot of religious people also go one about marriage being half your faith and so there's extra pressure to get married. But one of the 4 women who had 'completed' their Islam was Maryam, and as far as I can remember I'm pretty sure she wasn't married lol, I think culture has a lot more part to play in the matter than religion sometimes.
I think it's silly to stop your child from interacting with the opposite gender, it's only going to make them do the exact opposite, besides this is modern day England, you mind as we'll isolate yourself in the mountains if you expect your child to not interact lmao. Also why would god punish a person for talking to somebody of the opposite gender it's just silly, and loving somebody whether your married to them or not, god isn't going punish you for showing love that's just the opposite of what god is supposed to be and what is encouraged.
I feel a bit blessed knowing I never had silly restrictions like that, my dad used to be Christian before so he's quite the liberal old man haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly and it frustrates me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending