The Student Room Group

Edexcel S3 - Wednesday 25th May AM 2016

Scroll to see replies

image.jpg
Original post by economicss
Sorry, it shouldn't be, is from solutions bank It's exercise 3E question 13b on page 44 of the textbook :smile: Thanks

This is. The working I was trying to show :smile:
image.jpg
This is. The working I was trying to show :smile:

@Zacken
Reply 82

So you got z=1.43z=1.43, this means your confidence interval is the area between 1.43-1.43 and 1.431.43, no?
Original post by Zacken
So you got z=1.43z=1.43, this means your confidence interval is the area between 1.43-1.43 and 1.431.43, no?

Ah yes, should have used the diagram!! Thanks!
Reply 84
Ah yes, should have used the diagram!! Thanks!

Nice! Glad that little hint helped. :-)
Original post by Zacken
Nice! Glad that little hint helped. :-)

You're a lifesaver!
Reply 86
You're a lifesaver!

No problem. Do you want to tag me on that FP2 thingy you were asking me about earlier so I can have a look at it (not right now because I'm not home) but when I'm back? :smile:
Original post by Zacken
No problem. Do you want to tag me on that FP2 thingy you were asking me about earlier so I can have a look at it (not right now because I'm not home) but when I'm back? :smile:

Yeah that would be great, thank you :smile:
Reply 88
Yeah that would be great, thank you :smile:

Thanks!
Hi please could someone explain question 2b of the june 2014 paper, why is it we divide by 2 squared for the variance rather than 2? Thanks :-)
Hi please could someone explain question 2b of the june 2014 paper, why is it we divide by 2 squared for the variance rather than 2? Thanks :-)

Please link the paper or a picture of the question :h:
Reply 91

I haven't seen the question because I'm saving that paper as a mock but are you aware (from S1 and S3) that Var(aX)=a2Var(X)\text{Var}(aX) = a^2\text{Var}(X) and E(ax)=aE(X)E(ax) = aE(X) so that Var(X2)=(12)2Var(X)=14Var(X)\text{Var}(\frac{X}{2}) = \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2\text{Var}(X) = \frac{1}{4}\text{Var}(X)?
Reply 92

I've actually done this question on a mock - you should follow techniques learnt in S1 that Zacken mentioned and it's simple from there.

Spoiler

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I've actually done this question on a mock - you should follow techniques learnt in S1 that Zacken mentioned and it's simple from there.

Spoiler

Thanks so much, should have taken the 1/2 outside of it! Please could you explain how question 6c on this paper https://869d950bf149eefd5cd2652b400160ceb38ca5c7.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYVGVDMmVJYzVnRnc/June%202014%20QP%20-%20S3%20Edexcel.pdf is done using confidence intervals, as I understand the normal distribution method but not too sure how it can be solved using confidence intervals? Thanks :smile:
Hi, does anyone know please whether we could be asked to do a test like that one in question 4i here? From an OCR paper :smile: https://f1f559d498e385d34687bce0088efc8d3456c121.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYc2FITWYzdkFrZ1U/Specimen%20QP%20-%20S3%20OCR.pdf
Reply 95
Hi, does anyone know please whether we could be asked to do a test like that one in question 4i here? From an OCR paper :smile: https://f1f559d498e385d34687bce0088efc8d3456c121.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYc2FITWYzdkFrZ1U/Specimen%20QP%20-%20S3%20OCR.pdf

I think this is out of spec. I'm not certain though.
Reply 96
Hi, does anyone know please whether we could be asked to do a test like that one in question 4i here? From an OCR paper :smile:

Nope, the only continuous distribution we work with is the normal and uniform, not random PDF's like those. You could, however be given a continuous uniform PDF and asked to find the expected frequency though, it's not really that different.
Does anyone know if there's any extra resources available for this module, like practice papers? :smile: Thanks
Reply 98
Does anyone know if there's any extra resources available for this module, like practice papers? :smile: Thanks

Have you done the book's review exercises?
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Have you done the book's review exercises?

Yeah :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending