The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kalp
Hi Natha_Lite,

How much time did you allocate to UKCAT compared to GAMSAT roughly?
I have a lot going on this year - part time masters, full time work as a clinical scientist, summer uni exams and additional part time work. Not sure if it would be wise to do both the exams this year. I did the GAMSAT last year so I know what that exam is like and the effort I need to put into it but I have no idea how much effort is needed to score a 700 in the UKCAT. Thanks

Hey :smile:

In total I think I put about 3 weeks of focused practice into the UKCAT. I tried to practice for around 2 hours a day. I was working full time as well so I didn't have as much free time as I'd have liked.

I studied for around 3 months for the GAMSAT, studying for 3-4 hours a day (more as I got closer to the test).

I'd recommend doing both exams if you can. But I definitely suggest booking the UKCAT for an early date.

(I got 740 in the UKCAT and 61 in the GAMSAT)
Reply 301
Original post by Natha_Lite

In total I think I put about 3 weeks of focused practice into the UKCAT. I tried to practice for around 2 hours a day. I was working full time as well so I didn't have as much free time as I'd have liked.

I studied for around 3 months for the GAMSAT, studying for 3-4 hours a day (more as I got closer to the test).

I'd recommend doing both exams if you can. But I definitely suggest booking the UKCAT for an early date.

Those are brilliant scores! Very well done to you. Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated. Just one more question: Did you use any specific books for the UKCAT?
Original post by kalp
Those are brilliant scores! Very well done to you. Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated. Just one more question: Did you use any specific books for the UKCAT?

No worries :smile:

I only used to the 600Q book, partly because I already had it from 3 years ago and partly because I didn't realise they changed the VR format till half way through the 3 weeks. I mainly used free non-UKCAT specific VR, AR and QR online materials and the official UKCAT practice tests.
Hi guys,

Hope revision is going well. I took the GAMSAT twice, once in September 2014 where I got 51, 64 and 50 which was a 54 overall. I also sat it in March 2015, received a mark of 55, 72 and 60 to give me 62 overall or 63 weighted equally. I recently just got an offer to study medicine at George's for 2016 entry.
GAMSAT literally feels like a life time ago and I remember how stressed I was when doing it.
I only recently just found this thread otherwise I would have given my tips earlier!

There are a few differences between sitting GAMSAT in March or September. The majority of people sit their GAMSAT in September, so there's easily over a 1000 people sitting the same room as you. I feel that this can psych you out knowing that everyone is competing for the same medicine places, especially if you're feeling nervous or you feel like you've not done enough work. If you're like me, and prefer a smaller setting, the March one is for you. To me, it didn't feel as daunting so the extra €50 was worth it. Like I just didn't feel so stressed and I was then able to perform better.

Although the March sitting was halfway through my masters, and an incredibly stressful in terms of deadlines (I had an exam the day before the GAMSAT), I revised a lot better even though I undoubtably put in less hours. I decided to concentrate on the practice questions and the logic in how to answer them, rather than concentrating on learning the principles. I personally would recommend 65% practice with 35% spent going over science revision. That being said, I am from a science background, I had just completed a degree in Biomedical sciences, but my course was quite clinical and I found that it didn't really help with GAMSAT. I also didn't do amazingly in my A-levels, with BBC in Maths, Bio and Chem. So I would suggest learning over the common principles, e.g. genetics, pKa, electrodes etc, and then practicing loads.
I also found the physics questions quite easy, although the last time I did any physics was at GCSE (so 5 years since doing any) but I feel that physics could be logically answered e.g. moments and forces. Try and simplify what they're asking you and you'll find that it's not too difficult to answer.

As mentioned previously, I'm from a science background which meant I was not in good stead for the first two sessions. Despite this, the essays were clearly my strongest section. For this, I practiced loads of essays. But I didn't stick to the 30 minutes, I chose popular themes and wrote very strong essays which took about an hour each. I knew that if the same theme came up, I could manipulate the title and regurgitate my good essays so it looks like I came up with good examples on the spot. For example, I wrote an essay on how social norms inhibit societal growth, and low and behold, the theme for the March sitting was to do with how the government controls society. With a bit of title editing, I could talk about how the government could inhibit or stop societal growth with a few historical examples e.g. suffragette movement, apartheid and Nazi Germany but also how government can implement good change e.g. approval of gay marriage or the education act.
Also, a good finish is also really important, these markers will spend a max of 3-4 minutes an essay so you want to leave them feeling "damn, this person is good". Instead of reiterating your point, try and offer a solution that incorporates both sides of your argument e.g. responding to no votes of confidences or petitions (such the jr Dr one) so that the public voice is taken seriously.

I have nothing to say about Section 1, I was crap in both... But practice reading fast. The only book I recommend is Griffiths as there are some helpful tips on how to answer these questions and the common types of questions that pop up. There are loads of practice material online if you dig deep enough. TED talks is also really good.

Here are some links I bookmarked when I was doing this. Good luck guys!

http://www.doceatdoc.com/a-hackers-guide-to-the-gamsat-essay-question/
http://www.gamsatsampleessays.co.uk/
http://www.gamsatforum.com/
http://e-gamsat.com/gamsat-videos-physics.html (this website tries to sell you stuff but has Ok videos on science principles)
http://genietests.com/sample/gamsat/
http://gamsatstudy.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.gammagamsat.com/#!freematerial/c1rr8
http://www.procon.org/ ( a good one for helping you read up on some controversial topics)
http://www.ellipsoid.org/blog/gamsat-2014-tips
Original post by puddleduck
Jumping in here hahah, but I agree- section A was extremely difficult! Personally I found the second essay okay, but the first one was soooooo crap. I still don't actually know how to define political correctness, oh dear :P

And erm.... answers-wise, did anyone find that there was a crazy overrepresentation of D and underrepresentation of C in section A? >_<

I think I got 5 Ds in a row and thought 'noo that can't be right'. Less than two months to go until results, so more stressing to do until then.
Reply 305
I'm selling Des O'Neill GAMSAT Prep course materials along with other online materials. Please pm me :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone else fretting about results? Gah they're so far away!
Original post by puddleduck
Anyone else fretting about results? Gah they're so far away!

Nope, this is pretty much the only time where I can relax and not worry about anything. However when results do come out it will be a different story. Similar to the calm before the storm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 308
Hey all, If anyone is planning ons sitting the GAMSAT in September - I've got a bunch of books/online materials that I'm looking to sell :smile: that I used for last September. Thanks!

( P.S Good luck to all of those people that sat it in March!)
Reply 309
Hello everyone!!

Joining you from France! I am applying to medical school in Ireland and I'll be sitting the Gamsat in September in the UK. I have a Masters in Applied Economics so no science background for me.

Hope to have a great ride with you guys.

PS: To everyone here just know that you already have an amazing advantage: english as your first language.
Hello Everyone,

Is there anyone in Birmingham who would like to start a GAMSAT Study Group ? I find it really beneficial to study in a group so if your interested please DM me . Thanks :smile: x
Original post by Ayga
Hello everyone!!

Joining you from France! I am applying to medical school in Ireland and I'll be sitting the Gamsat in September in the UK. I have a Masters in Applied Economics so no science background for me.

Hope to have a great ride with you guys.

PS: To everyone here just know that you already have an amazing advantage: english as your first language.

Hi Ayga, where abouts are you applying in Ireland? I'm not applying to med school yet but started thinking about it again for few months now (final year BSc Biomedicine, going to do MSc in Stratified Medicine and Pharmacological Innovation in September)... And if I was considering applying in the future, I know I'd want to look at Irish unis. Is it true that they only look at your degree and GAMSAT score, with no personal statement?
Original post by lastlullabyy
Hi Ayga, where abouts are you applying in Ireland? I'm not applying to med school yet but started thinking about it again for few months now (final year BSc Biomedicine, going to do MSc in Stratified Medicine and Pharmacological Innovation in September)... And if I was considering applying in the future, I know I'd want to look at Irish unis. Is it true that they only look at your degree and GAMSAT score, with no personal statement?
Yes, and there are no interviews either. As long as you get a 2:1 and meet the overall GAMSAT cutoff (generally around 57-58) then you are as good as in.
Original post by Es0phagus
Yes, and there are no interviews either. As long as you get a 2:1 and meet the overall GAMSAT cutoff (generally around 57-58) then you are as good as in.

Why more people don't try that option then? Just curious...
I think I'll want to work for few years after MSc to put aside some money... But I don't think I'll change my mind about applying in the future (unless something really unpredictable happens)... Is GAMSAT more like BMAT or UKCAT?
Original post by lastlullabyy
Why more people don't try that option then? Just curious...
I think I'll want to work for few years after MSc to put aside some money... But I don't think I'll change my mind about applying in the future (unless something really unpredictable happens)... Is GAMSAT more like BMAT or UKCAT?
Because it is costly, unless you have rich parents or you are willing to take on a ~£60k personal bank loan for 4 years of tuition and maintenance.

More like the BMAT.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Natha_Lite

Hi, would it be too late for me to start prepping for GAMSAT at the start of May? I am also going to finish my third semester of my Masters in August.

Well done on your scores.
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Hi, would it be too late for me to start prepping for GAMSAT at the start of May? I am also going to finish my third semester of my Masters in August.

Well done on your scores.

From my experience it is possible since I started my prep after my semester 2 exams which was around mid-May. But the amount of time you need is really down to each person.
hey all!! hope prep for GAMSAT 2016 is going well :smile: im selling my GAMSAT prep tools so if you are interested message me :biggrin:
When do you guys reckon we'll get the results? In a months time?
Any time between the 16th -20th of may the results will be out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending