The Student Room Group

Has anyone actually had the worst university experience?

Scroll to see replies

I had a bit of a bad time in my second year, although now it's going great!
Original post by loveleest
People actually get bullied in uni?:lolwut:
That's wierd. I thought that uni was supposed to be a good experience for everyone, sorry about that.

Original post by super_kawaii
Same. I got ruthlessly bullied at school but at uni it's not even known as a concept!

I thought people grew out of that by uni:facepalm:

I thought the same, that bullying would not exist! But I'm talking about strong bitchiness, like everyday coming into uni and being told no one likes me and that I'm so annoying and boring, and being always picked on it literally made me run home crying my eyes out
Original post by moment of truth
I had a really horrible experience last year when I first went to uni, I really struggled with living out and taking care of myself, causing me to develop mental health issues. As a result, I had to drop out after the first semester, but ended up going back to uni this year, and am commuting this year instead. Still hasn't been amazing and I was expecting more, but I can't really complain.

are you going back to the same uni?
Original post by intoxycated
I thought the same, that bullying would not exist! But I'm talking about strong bitchiness, like everyday coming into uni and being told no one likes me and that I'm so annoying and boring, and being always picked on it literally made me run home crying my eyes out

That is actually weird af. I would ask you what uni you go to but I guess that would be irrelevant. I would love to know why they are even rude to you in the first place though, I guess horrible people are just avoidable.
group work is never group work ffs
That is actually weird af. I would ask you what uni you go to but I guess that would be irrelevant. I would love to know why they are even rude to you in the first place though, I guess horrible people are just avoidable.

i don't know! my friends from home have said they're just jealous bitches jealous of my looks and internal strength but thats obv something mums would say and i doubt thats even a good enough reason to make someones life hell esp at uni...
i don't know! my friends from home have said they're just jealous bitches jealous of my looks and internal strength but thats obv something mums would say and i doubt thats even a good enough reason to make someones life hell esp at uni...

I went through exactly what you are going through now in secondary school lol. I had girls that were horrible to me and b*tch about my looks and personality behind my back and to my face, but I guess that is expected because people are generally immature at secondary school...But in uni? are you joking me, so people are still immature idiots? Have you thought about reporting these people to the head of uni or something because they are actually bullying you and I know how it feels to go through something you are going through and it is not nice!! You either need to stick up for yourself and have a go at them because they are making your life miserable! Uni is supposed to be a fun time in your life and I heard it is actually supposed to be one of your best times in your life...I mean you aren't paying 9k a year to experience a horrible time from stupid immature people are you? Maybe try getting help from a close friend. The people that are insulting you are clearly jealous of you, you are probably a lot prettier than them. But don't let haters get to you or else they have won!! They are looking for you to be upset because they want you to be below them, they know that if they see you crying then they have defeated you. Just ignore those idiots or report them and then they will the ones that would feel like the losers.

If you need to talk about anything else pm me, I am a great person to talk to :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I went to University straight after sixth-form, and I really regret it. I think it's better for people to take a gap year or even work for a year or two. I think there's too much social pressure on people these days to follow the crowd.

It's really difficult to decide what you want to do with your life at that age - That's why if I could go back in time, I would definitely take a gap year, and enjoy my life, because when you're younger you've got more energy.
I went through exactly what you are going through now in secondary school lol. I had girls that were horrible to me and b*tch about my looks and personality behind my back and to my face, but I guess that is expected because people are generally immature at secondary school...But in uni? are you joking me, so people are still immature idiots? Have you thought about reporting these people to the head of uni or something because they are actually bullying you and I know how it feels to go through something you are going through and it is not nice!! You either need to stick up for yourself and have a go at them because they are making your life miserable! Uni is supposed to be a fun time in your life and I heard it is actually supposed to be one of your best times in your life...I mean you aren't paying 9k a year to experience a horrible time from stupid immature people are you? Maybe try getting help from a close friend. The people that are insulting you are clearly jealous of you, you are probably a lot prettier than them. But don't let haters get to you or else they have won!! They are looking for you to be upset because they want you to be below them, they know that if they see you crying then they have defeated you. Just ignore those idiots or report them and then they will the ones that would feel like the losers.

If you need to talk about anything else pm me, I am a great person to talk to :smile:

I had no friends so there were no one i could talk to. i got drunk too much to the verge and embarrassed myself which made me lose the initial friends i made at freshers. and yeah i told my tutors they did nothing so i left. i couldn't bear to take 2 mor years of this ****. and yeah haha i went through that whole of primary and secondary school. Unfortunately sixth form was my only two years of peace, it had to start again at uni
Reply 29
Original post by godofwine
I went to University straight after sixth-form, and I really regret it. I think it's better for people to take a gap year or even work for a year or two. I think there's too much social pressure on people these days to follow the crowd.

It's really difficult to decide what you want to do with your life at that age - That's why if I could go back in time, I would definitely take a gap year, and enjoy my life, because when you're younger you've got more energy.

I agree, doing a 1 year placement or something to boost your CV/PS is very important. A lot students get burnt out doing 2 Years A levels and then straight away jump in a degree.
Reply 30
Mine was crap, liked the city, flatmates were boring but not horrible, same with coursemates, didn't care much for getting drunk, well I don't mind but people here were going on about it like it's the first time they've ever touched the thing, even the mature students. Course was meh, not that challenging or exciting, societies were pretty empty and boring.

Pretty much the whole uni resolved around the clubs. Well in honesty I think the thing that ruined it for me was definitely making a poor decision with regards to a certain someone I had known for a long time...
I had no friends so there were no one i could talk to. i got drunk too much to the verge and embarrassed myself which made me lose the initial friends i made at freshers. and yeah i told my tutors they did nothing so i left. i couldn't bear to take 2 mor years of this ****. and yeah haha i went through that whole of primary and secondary school. Unfortunately sixth form was my only two years of peace, it had to start again at uni

oh :frown: really sorry to hear that. I am going uni in September so I hope that mines is going to be good and I don't bump into horrible people.
Original post by samina_ay
group work is never group work ffs

so true xD

also new profile pic yesh
I had a pretty **** time at undergrad (due to bullying, burnout and abuse) culminating in me

Spoiler

and developing long-term mental health problems :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trustmeimlying1
so true xD

also new profile pic yesh

You like? :tongue:
Original post by samina_ay
You like? :tongue:
me likey.

yeh seem more positive about your looks. delighted for yeh
I actually had an OK time in the 4 years I spent at uni. I really enjoyed my course, made a lot of good friends and went to social events a fair bit even though I don't drink. I had a good grip of the course content (despite missing the odd lecture - I'm really not a morning person!) and was passing exams comfortably. However, all that changed at the end of my third year when I failed an exam and was asked to repeat the year. I did so without any complaints and actually enjoyed doing all the work a second time. But when I failed the same exam again and was asked to leave, I finally found out what a horrible experience the whole 4 years at uni were.

All my colleagues from uni (except for one very good friend) turned their backs on me and pretended that I didn't even exist after I stopped turning up to uni. Some of the people I worked with closely last year and who I called my friends are living in the same apartment block as me but literally ignore me if I pass them in the street. I have done nothing to them, what gives them the right to treat me so rudely? I am still living in my uni city as I have no home to return to. I can't transfer to another course or uni as I'm too far into this degree for them to let me start a new one (for some crazy reason that means I'm not good enough for another degree despite my A-Level grades and previous experience). On top of that, I had to find out the hard way that the counseling service at this uni won't see me because I'm not studying at the moment, even though I am still registered with uni. What a bunch of t****.

So long story short, uni in the UK has been a nightmare. I couldn't pass one exam despite how hard I worked, and even though I had never put a foot wrong before (I passed every other assessment except this one), according to them all my hard work counts for nothing and I am of a poor standard. They couldn't be more wrong. I'm now faced with having to go abroad to finish my degree at some **** university which may take me another 4-5 years, after which the job prospects in this country look awful with a degree from abroad. This year away from uni (even though I'm living right next door to it) has been the worst year of my life - no support from friends or parents and having to suffer in silence up to this point. I was taking medication for anxiety even though it doesn't help, and I was so angry I wanted to butcher these people to death with an axe for how they treated me. So even though I enjoyed the 4 years I spent there, I wish none of it had ever happened because I worked so hard and got **** in return. Hopefully now I'll be moving onto a place where my hard work gets some recognition. I might be permanently unemployed in my field afterwards, but at least I will have finished what I started.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by asif007
I actually had an OK time in the 4 years I spent at uni. I really enjoyed my course, made a lot of good friends and went to social events a fair bit even though I don't drink. I had a good grip of the course content (despite missing the odd lecture - I'm really not a morning person!) and was passing exams comfortably. However, all that changed at the end of my third year when I failed an exam and was asked to repeat the year. I did so without any complaints and actually enjoyed doing all the work a second time. But when I failed the same exam again and was asked to leave, I finally found out what a horrible experience the whole 4 years at uni were.

All my colleagues from uni (except for one very good friend) turned their backs on me and pretended that I didn't even exist after I stopped turning up to uni. Some of the people I worked with closely last year and who I called my friends are living in the same apartment block as me but literally ignore me if I pass them in the street. I have done nothing to them, what gives them the right to treat me so rudely? I am still living in my uni city as I have no home to return to. I can't transfer to another course or uni as I'm too far into this degree for them to let me start a new one (for some crazy reason that means I'm not good enough for another degree despite my A-Level grades and previous experience). On top of that, I had to find out the hard way that the counseling service at this uni won't see me because I'm not studying at the moment, even though I am still registered with uni. What a bunch of t****.

So long story short, uni in the UK has been a nightmare. I couldn't pass one exam despite how hard I worked, and even though I had never put a foot wrong before (I passed every other assessment except this one), according to them all my hard work counts for nothing and I am of a poor standard. They couldn't be more wrong. I'm now faced with having to go abroad to finish my degree at some **** university which may take me another 4-5 years, after which the job prospects in this country look awful with a degree from abroad. This year away from uni (even though I'm living right next door to it) has been the worst year of my life - no support from friends or parents and having to suffer in silence up to this point. I was taking medication for anxiety even though it doesn't help, and I was so angry I wanted to butcher these people to death with an axe for how they treated me. So even though I enjoyed the 4 years I spent there, I wish none of it had ever happened because I worked so hard and got **** in return. Hopefully now I'll be moving onto a place where my hard work gets some recognition. I might be permanently unemployed in my field afterwards, but at least I will have finished what I started.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience in the UK:frown:
Reply 38
Original post by asif007

OMG!!! I don't believe this, I feel for you mate! That's ridiculous how can they even treat you like that! But hopefully your new uni will be way better and best experience in you life! 😁 'Panjabi hi panjabi de Kum aunda' 😁😁😁😁( diljit's dialogue)
(edited 8 years ago)
are you going back to the same uni?

Nah, it's different. Much closer to home, this time around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest