The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matrix123
Awww that's great to hear! :yep: Good good, oooh!:teeth::mmm:

Yeah hahaha it's a shame I'm not Vanessa. Do you know how old she is? Can you imagine if she's at your uni? :eek: woahhhhh! :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just finished ironing clothes, like a boss. :cool:

I have absolutely no clue xD She can be anything from 5 to 16. Should there be a Vanessa at my uni, first thing I'm gonna do is walk up to her, point at my body and say "Can't touch this, sissy.". If she isn't my sister she'll most likely take me for a f*cktard, slap me and walk away. If it is my sister, she'll definitely come up with a just as retarded reply and I'll hug the crap out of her afterwards. That way I'll always be safe from Vanessas and at the same time will be able to tell if it's my sister or not. Genius, innit? :u:
Original post by Amellia123
Aww okay then - I hope you enjoy it!! :tongue: :smile: That's no problem

And of course not :lol: see you later! :tongue: :wink:

Haha thanks :h: and thank goodness! :tongue: that was really interesting...and I see this is another thing your dad is better at! :rofl: I basically know nothing about golf apart from what you told me. Everything you've said is really interesting:yep: how long have you been playing golf for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hodor_van_Groot
Just finished ironing clothes, like a boss. :cool:

I have absolutely no clue xD She can be anything from 5 to 16. Should there be a Vanessa at my uni, first thing I'm gonna do is walk up to her, point at my body and say "Can't touch this, sissy.". If she isn't my sister she'll most likely take me for a f*cktard, slap me and walk away. If it is my sister, she'll definitely come up with a just as retarded reply and I'll hug the crap out of her afterwards. That way I'll always be safe from Vanessas and at the same time will be able to tell if it's my sister or not. Genius, innit? :u:

Ooooooh, cool kid alert! :rofl:

Hahahaha yeah, great plan! :tongue: (Good luck with that, I have a feeling you may be needing it):mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha thanks :h: and thank goodness! :tongue: that was really interesting...and I see this is another thing your dad is better at! :rofl: I basically know nothing about golf apart from what you told me. Everything you've said is really interesting:yep: how long have you been playing golf for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha which film did you watch? And you are welcome :hugs: Haha yes unfortunately so :tongue: Not many people do who don't play the sport tbh.... there are some mean kids at school who say it isn't even a sport (even though its in the Olympics this year!) Ahh I'm pleased that it interested you! Ummm well since I was about 4, but played competitively since I was about 8. I've played in all sorts :tongue: but I think the most memorable one was winning the best score for under 10s at the Mooretown Junior Masters (when I was 8) and being asked to play for the Yorkshire girls - I even got free coaching at Ganton! (a golf club in Scarborough) :smile:
Haha which film did you watch? And you are welcome :hugs: Haha yes unfortunately so :tongue: Not many people do who don't play the sport tbh.... there are some mean kids at school who say it isn't even a sport (even though its in the Olympics this year!) Ahh I'm pleased that it interested you! Ummm well since I was about 4, but played competitively since I was about 8. I've played in all sorts :tongue: but I think the most memorable one was winning the best score for under 10s at the Mooretown Junior Masters (when I was 8) and being asked to play for the Yorkshire girls - I even got free coaching at Ganton! (a golf club in Scarborough) :smile:

Rush Hour :biggrin: :hugs:
Haha woah they're picky with their sports :tongue: I...it...reading that...just....wow!:eek: that is awesome! :jive::jive::jive::top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rush Hour :biggrin: :hugs:
Haha woah they're picky with their sports :tongue: I...it...reading that...just....wow!:eek: that is awesome! :jive::jive::jive::top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh cool! I don't think I've seen but its supposed to be good right? :biggrin: :hugs:
Yeah they are, oh well :lol: :tongue: It kind of is I suppose :tongue: :jive::jive::jive: I'm not naturally gifted at it which is why I've had to try so had with it (the technique is unbelievably difficult to master). There's a boy that I play with at the club who is a bit older than me but he is really good - like really gifted at it!
Oooh cool! I don't think I've seen but its supposed to be good right? :biggrin: :hugs:
Yeah they are, oh well :lol: :tongue: It kind of is I suppose :tongue: :jive::jive::jive: I'm not naturally gifted at it which is why I've had to try so had with it (the technique is unbelievably difficult to master). There's a boy that I play with at the club who is a bit older than me but he is really good - like really gifted at it!

Hahaha well I really like it :tongue: :hugs:
There is no such thing as natural talent, Amellia, no such thing. You either have to simply work at it or work really hard at it. :u: Oooh good on him! Maybe he'll be an amateur like Matt Fitz...something :colondollar: :rofl: Do you know what his handicap is?

Edit: AHHHH IT WAS FITZPATRICK!!!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha well I really like it :tongue: :hugs:
There is no such thing as natural talent, Amellia, no such thing. You either have to simply work at it or work really hard at it. :u: Oooh good on him! Maybe he'll be an amateur like Matt Fitz...something :colondollar: :rofl: Do you know what his handicap is?

Edit: AHHHH IT WAS FITZPATRICK!!!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww that's good! Maybe I shall have to watch it some time! :hugs:
There is Matrix! There soooooo is :tongue: Haha with certain things I agree yes. Haha he isn't as good as Matt was when he was an amateur - his handicap is -4 where as Matt's was about +5 before he became a pro :lol:
Aww that's good! Maybe I shall have to watch it some time! :hugs:
There is Matrix! There soooooo is :tongue: Haha with certain things I agree yes. Haha he isn't as good as Matt was when he was an amateur - his handicap is -4 where as Matt's was about +5 before he became a pro :lol:

Yes! :biggrin: :hugs:
Nooooooo!:eek: Ohh haha fair enough. Wait, I thought you said the smaller the number the better the golfer...-4 is less than+5... :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes! :biggrin: :hugs:
Nooooooo!:eek: Ohh haha fair enough. Wait, I thought you said the smaller the number the better the golfer...-4 is less than+5... :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha well, Matt had +5 as in 5 shots added on, this guy has -4 as in 4 shots taken off....sorry the logic isn't great :lol:
Hahaha well, Matt had +5 as in 5 shots added on, this guy has -4 as in 4 shots taken off....sorry the logic isn't great :lol:

I don't think I understand this anymore... :frown:
So you have a par which is the number of shots needed for the course? By shots, is that the number of times you try to hit the golf ball into the holes? (How many holes would there be - just 1 or multiple and how many?)
If someone completes the course in two more shots than expected (for example) then their handicap is +2. Some players do this in less than the par so they have shots added on. So Matt has 5 shots added on. Ohhhh actually I understand now. So you can have the par reduced if you're that bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think I understand this anymore... :frown:
So you have a par which is the number of shots needed for the course? By shots, is that the number of times you try to hit the golf ball into the holes? (How many holes would there be - just 1 or multiple and how many?)
If someone completes the course in two more shots than expected (for example) then their handicap is +2. Some players do this in less than the par so they have shots added on. So Matt has 5 shots added on. Ohhhh actually I understand now. So you can have the par reduced if you're that bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that is correct :smile: There are 18 holes, each with a hole 'par' which is either 3,4 or 5. therefor each of these hole pars added up gives the course par.
If they complete in 2 less that expected, it would be +2 (to get the par number). If you do greater than the par you have shots taken off (eg your score -2). Well most players (who play at club level) have shots taken off (as you have to be insanely good to play to 0 or a + handicap). Your handicap changes too. Eg, if you have handicap 12 and play 2 better than it (so you would play to 10) then it gets reduced for the next time you play

Sorry I am finding this so hard to explain - I just cant for some reason!
Yes that is correct :smile: There are 18 holes, each with a hole 'par' which is either 3,4 or 5. therefor each of these hole pars added up gives the course par.
If they complete in 2 less that expected, it would be +2 (to get the par number). If you do greater than the par you have shots taken off (eg your score -2). Well most players (who play at club level) have shots taken off (as you have to be insanely good to play to 0 or a + handicap). Your handicap changes too. Eg, if you have handicap 12 and play 2 better than it (so you would play to 10) then it gets reduced for the next time you play

Sorry I am finding this so hard to explain - I just cant for some reason!

Ohh so each course has 18 holes? Right thanks. I really did mean it when I said I knew nothing about golf :tongue:
Oooh but didn't you say you are +12?

Haha don't worry - I think you're good. It takes me a while to understand things anyway :tongue: as long as you're not irritated by my questions...:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh so each course has 18 holes? Right thanks. I really did mean it when I said I knew nothing about golf :tongue:
Oooh but didn't you say you are +12?

Haha don't worry - I think you're good. It takes me a while to understand things anyway :tongue: as long as you're not irritated by my questions...:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah! Aww don't worry :tongue:
I am -12 (I have 12 taken off at the end)

Haha phew :tongue: Same actually and nope not at all - its nice for someone to take an interest in it for once!! :ahee:
Haha yeah! Aww don't worry :tongue:
I am -12 (I have 12 taken off at the end)

Haha phew :tongue: Same actually and nope not at all - its nice for someone to take an interest in it for once!! :ahee:

Ohhhh I see! :rofl: and did you say your dad is -6? Well you must have because otherwise he'd be a professional golf player :tongue:

Haha yeah and it's great to actually start to learn about it :yep: the only person irl I know of who expresses an interest in it is my languages teacher...and I'm not having a conversation with him about it :no: :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhhh I see! :rofl: and did you say your dad is -6? Well you must have because otherwise he'd be a professional golf player :tongue:

Haha yeah and it's great to actually start to learn about it :yep: the only person irl I know of who expresses an interest in it is my languages teacher...and I'm not having a conversation with him about it :no: :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah he is :lol: He's one of the best at the club! :tongue:

Haha oh I see! Quite a few of the teachers at my school are a member at the same club as me (Mwhahaha I'm better than them all :tongue:) I've even had to play with my maths teacher before (as we got drawn together) which was so embarrassing :lol:
Haha yeah he is :lol: He's one of the best at the club! :tongue:

Haha oh I see! Quite a few of the teachers at my school are a member at the same club as me (Mwhahaha I'm better than them all :tongue:) I've even had to play with my maths teacher before (as we got drawn together) which was so embarrassing :lol:

Ohh wow! Go Amellia's dad! :tongue:

Hahaha wow yeah that must have been really embarrassing! And then when you go back to school it must have been a bit awkward :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh wow! Go Amellia's dad! :tongue:

Hahaha wow yeah that must have been really embarrassing! And then when you go back to school it must have been a bit awkward :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha ikr :tongue:

It was - hahaha he kept asking me for pointers which was annoying so I was like "go and see Joe" (hes the club pro) Ahh so glad I haven't had to do that for a while.... :rofl:
Hahaha ikr :tongue:

It was - hahaha he kept asking me for pointers which was annoying so I was like "go and see Joe" (hes the club pro) Ahh so glad I haven't had to do that for a while.... :rofl:

Hahaha I bet you are glad! :h:

Sorry I just had to say the rhyme (probably not intentional :tongue:) is really cool with go, Joe and pro! :excited:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahaha I bet you are glad! :h:

Sorry I just had to say the rhyme (probably not intentional :tongue:) is really cool with go, Joe and pro! :excited:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yep :tongue:

Haha I realised that when I had sent it :rofl: He such a patient guy as well, his brother was a tour pro but went back to being an amateur because he didn't like it :lol: