The Student Room Group

bsc medical ultrasound or bsc diagnostic radiography?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by KyleH123
So I might as well try and get a place on Medical Ultrasound BSc

Hi, did you apply for the Medical Ultrasound?
Reply 21
Original post by Soph282
Hi, did you apply for the Medical Ultrasound?

Some radiographers have said the title sonographer is not protected so it's best to do an undergrad in diagnostic first. I don't want to be a guinea pig for the course.

I'm applying next year to diagnostic radiography most likely.
Reply 22
Some radiographers have said the title sonographer is not protected so it's best to do an undergrad in diagnostic first. I don't want to be a guinea pig for the course.

I'm applying next year to diagnostic radiography most likely.

I have applied, if I get an interview I will ask all those questions about the registers etc and let you know what they say.
Reply 23
Original post by Soph282
I have applied, if I get an interview I will ask all those questions about the registers etc and let you know what they say.

Thanks Soph!
I'm currently doing my ultrasound training, a direct route sounds pretty nice but I definitely appreciate my radiography background during the training. As a post grad, there's a lot more self directed learning on an already intense course so that is difficult sometimes but it mostly depends how supportive your department is at work. It'll all be worth it in the end though!
What modules do you have to do on the undergrad course? Obs gynae and general abdominal I assume? Or does it include vascular and msk as well? Get your money's worth! :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by BeesKnees
I'm currently doing my ultrasound training, a direct route sounds pretty nice but I definitely appreciate my radiography background during the training. As a post grad, there's a lot more self directed learning on an already intense course so that is difficult sometimes but it mostly depends how supportive your department is at work. It'll all be worth it in the end though!
What modules do you have to do on the undergrad course? Obs gynae and general abdominal I assume? Or does it include vascular and msk as well? Get your money's worth! :smile:

Hi, yes it's just obstetrics, gynocology and general abdo. I do really want to do sonography but when I done placement at the local hospital the sonographers there were a bit unsure of the new course. I have applied if I get a place I would more than likely accept, if not then I will be applying for diagnostic radiography either through clearing or for 2017 start :smile:
Reply 26
I have an interview 😊
Reply 27
Thanks Soph!

Hi ya, I went to the interview and the tutors said as it stands you won't be able to register on the health care professions register as it stands. It's also a total of 4 years, 3 years doing the BSc hons and then the 4th year is the post grad course but on completion you would be qualified as an advanced practitioner. I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 28
I got a conditional offer which I have accepted 😊
Reply 29
FWIW, there is some concern over the number of people being trained in sonography. We may see more direct access courses popping up in the near future to encourage people to train.

http://sor.org/news/what-answer-sonographer-shortage
Reply 30
Do you think the direct routes will become HCPC registered?
Reply 31
I don't know what the process to get sonographer as a protected title would be, but if the solution to the national shortage is to have direct access courses, I don't see how you can leave them effectively unregulated.
Does anyone has gotten into the bsc medical ultrasound at Birmingham university please?
Also how was your experience or the process??
Many thanks
Reply 33
The course is a new course, this year is the first year of it being run so no one will have any experiences with the course as yet. The interview process was interesting, it was a one on one interview, questions on sonography and to scan a kidney on a manakin. I hope this helps :smile:
Hi Sophie

I am interested in applying for the ultrasound course and wondered how it was going?

I'm currently 2nd year part time DR at BCU but always wanted to do sonography and feel this will suit me better.

I'm just starting my PS as I only found out about this degree after returning from maternity leave.

Hope to hear from you soon

Carly
Reply 35
Original post by Carly181286
Hi Sophie

I am interested in applying for the ultrasound course and wondered how it was going?

I'm currently 2nd year part time DR at BCU but always wanted to do sonography and feel this will suit me better.

I'm just starting my PS as I only found out about this degree after returning from maternity leave.

Carly

i'd have a word with the staff at your uni, as your uni offers both courses :smile:
i'd have a word with the staff at your uni, as your uni offers both courses :smile:

I have spoke to them but wanted a student opinion x
Reply 37
Original post by Carly181286
Hi Sophie

Carly

Hi, I didn't start this course in the end. The course won't be HCPC registered on completion and as I'm a mature student I wasn't willing to risk studying 4 years and not finding a job at the end. Sort I couldn't help 😟

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Hiya! Has anyone heard from BCU Sonography yet? :smile:
I have an interview in March.
When did you apply? X

Quick Reply

Latest