The Student Room Group

I've had gender dysphoria my entire life but I never realized until now

Well, here goes. I'm female physically but I've always felt uncomfortable because if it. It got worse when I hit puberty. I started getting boob's at like 11 and I hated how they stuck out from my chest. When I started menstruating at 14 it was a surprise and I felt like suddenly, that was that, I'm a woman now, I'm stuck like this. I'm going to be seen as weak for the rest of my life. At school for about a year I only was attracted to women and I thought I was a lesbian but then I realised I was bi when I started college. I never told anyone at school, any of my friends I felt like that because I would have gotten beaten if I did, they once beat up a kid just because of the fact he was white and a kaafir . They already though I was weird, easy to pick on. I didn't really have any friends until year 10 because of this. I just fit in nowhere, I didn't fit in with the girls or the guys. I felt I was only female because of genetics. And I still don't feel like I'm either male or female but I still don't want the biological stress of being in a female body or man or both. I just want to be a human. Just human. A couple of weeks ago I was looking into getting a voluntary hysterectomy because I felt uncomfortable with the thought that I could reproduce. I really just want to be neither and I feel like its impossible to physically be of no gender. I can't change my genes. I wish I could and there was a way but I can't and I'm stuck like this for the rest of my life. I don't know if anyone else has felt like this... if you have any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

The way I think about it is, it's just a body. I've had a few conversations with you and you're a pretty amazing person

I wear a lot of men's clothes, because few women's collections are anywhere near my style. I wouldn't see myself as a woman, but equally I have no desire to be a man. I know a lot of people feel like their gender/sex/lack thereof defines them, but for me, it's easier just not to think about it.

A woman's body is a bit rubbish in many ways, but y'know, sex isn't gender, and if you feel comfortable talking to people about it, just ask the people around you to use the pronoun "they" if you'd find that better.

I wish you all the best man:h:
I like to let people think I'm a boy when I'm messaging them sometimes.

I don't know why, perhaps I prefer the way boys converse with me when they think I am also male.
Original post by Anonymous
stop being so self absorbed

there are people out there who are ill, properly ill. and people out there who are really poor.

And what have you got to complain about? a few insecuruities? what you go through is nothing that they endure.

it's selfish

I know there are people who have gone though a lot of pain to survive but either way, pain is pain, its a common experience we share with the rest of humanity despite the severity. Things still hurt people, no matter why it causes them pain. Feeling like you have nowhere you belong, you don't fit in your own body, hurts me, it causes me pain. And that I share with people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vicky628
The way I think about it is, it's just a body. I've had a few conversations with you and you're a pretty amazing person

I wear a lot of men's clothes, because few women's collections are anywhere near my style. I wouldn't see myself as a woman, but equally I have no desire to be a man. I know a lot of people feel like their gender/sex/lack thereof defines them, but for me, it's easier just not to think about it.

A woman's body is a bit rubbish in many ways, but y'know, sex isn't gender, and if you feel comfortable talking to people about it, just ask the people around you to use the pronoun "they" if you'd find that better.

I wish you all the best man:h:

Thank you sweetie :smile:

I wouldn't know how to approach it to people and my family. They pretty much want me out of their lives anyways. This is the first time I've actually come to terms with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wah, road get lock arff
Way, every ting lock arff
Big man ting, what you know about lock arff?
I like to let people think I'm a boy when I'm messaging them sometimes.

I don't know why, perhaps I prefer the way boys converse with me when they think I am also male.

I get that too. I used to talk more like guy
And it made me feel more comfortable around people.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmazingArry
I know there are people who have gone though a lot of pain to survive but either way, pain is pain, its a common experience we share with the rest of humanity despite the severity. Things still hurt people, no matter why it causes them pain. Feeling like you have nowhere you belong, you don't fit in your own body, hurts me, it causes me pain. And that I share with people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a reason they posted what they did anonymously.
Original post by Mactotaur
There's a reason they posted what they did anonymously.

I know. Theyre probably going though stuff too and anger is their way of relief.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by biglad2k16
Wah, road get lock arff
Way, every ting lock arff
Big man ting, what you know about lock arff?

I have no idea what that is? Can you explain ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

there are people out there who are ill, properly ill. and people out there who are really poor.

And what have you got to complain about? a few insecuruities? what you go through is nothing that they endure.

it's selfish

Just because other people experience hardship e.g. poverty around the world doesn't make your problems/ feelings any less valid.

it's selfish

This seems unfair. So you're never allowed to be upset about anything, just because there are people with bigger issues.

According to you, we can't be sad because people have it worse. Therefore it also follows that we can't be happy, because people have it better.
Original post by AmazingArry
Thank you sweetie :smile:

I wouldn't know how to approach it to people and my family. They pretty much want me out of their lives anyways. This is the first time I've actually come to terms with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, I'll always be here for you:biggrin: if you're down or just need somebody to rant to, PM me!

I doubt it, but just do whatever makes you feel better about yourself:h:
Female means "of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) which can be fertilized by male gametes." And a woman is "an adult human female.*"

That's it. It isn't about feelings, or how you look or what your hobbies are, it's a biological thing. Unfortunately, in our world women and girls are often treated a certain way. There are certain expectations placed on us and it can be hard if you don't feel you meet these. But you're not alone, far from it. Don't be fooled into thinking most women 'feel' like a woman. They don't. There is no internal essence of woman. We are all human beings, individuals, with our own thoughts and feelings.

And it is completely normal to feel uneasy with your female form. Look at all the products aimed at making women "look better". "Hide your flaws", "Flaunt your curves", " Don't age" "Don't be vain" We are pretty much programmed into thinking our natural bodily functions - like periods - are disgusting. We're made to feel our natural faces aren't good enough. That make up is essential. It's a wonder we can make it out of the house!

But trust me, the female body can be so strong. So capable. We are designed to carry a baby. That isn't easy, trust me. But our bodies can do that and give birth and breastfeed. That's like a super power itself. Not saying evey woman should have a baby, far from it. But don't forgot what your body is capable of, that it is strong. Just have a look at some female athletes for more examples of how strong women can be. Rhonda Rhousey, Serena Williams and Jessica Ennis-Hill are some examples off the top of my head.

Best of luck.
Original post by HahaHappyHippo
And it is completely normal to feel uneasy with your female form.

Did you join just to post this?
(edited 8 years ago)
You are not alone, I thought i was the only one. Theres nothing feminine about me, I like everything that the male gender are supposed to like, get told i walk like a man and am told to be ladylike which really annoys me. I never wear heels skirts or anything i only feel comfortable in clothing other than these, I dont mind wearing cardigans/feminine shirts etc but im sick of being told i walk like a man.

My bf told me how i walked (did an impression a bit like an ape) and i said you walk like that he said im a ****ing man. I also hate how my body is designed to give birth I mean i would have preferred a strong productive body as im into sport but im only 5ft and i feel weak most of the time despite lifting weights. If i dont want yo give birth well what is the point of me having a female body, a guy can use his body to be good at sport, protect, defend himself, get respect etc.

Being female and feminine basically means to be weak no matter what people tell you. I also hate the fact that apparantly women lose attractiveness with age whereas men apparantly can maintain it as ling as they work out. Im in my late twenties and have only just started to become less shy so I didnt bother with relationships when younger so in way feel ive wasted my life.

Its not that I really dislike my body but its just all the gender stereotypes and consequences (being weak, not much time to have kids/losing fertility/being less valued when older) that come with it. Ive slways been a tomboy and lads have slways been my role models in a way in terms of getting fit/sports. It hasnt bothered me that much up to now but the older i get the more i hate all this idea of being feminine :/. Theres not much i can do about it ..and no im not changing my sex as im only 5ft and id be a dwarf lol.

I try to be grateful for what i have but a big part of me wants to be male.
I mean i would have preferred a strong productive body as im into sport but im only 5ft and i feel weak most of the time despite lifting weights.

Shorter people are better powerlifters though.
Original post by Mactotaur
Shorter people are better powerlifters though.

I can do lots of pull ups most people cant for some reason. A man said once that i might have made a good powerlifter but that its a shame as i have small bones lol.
I can do lots of pull ups most people cant for some reason. A man said once that i might have made a good powerlifter but that its a shame as i have small bones lol.

You're lighter than most people, being short, and you're also probably not overweight which a lot of people are. You probably don't have small bones relative to your size, that's a very rare thing.
What I would recommend to you is don't rush into things. There are people of all sides of the spectrum - there are many who are extremely feminine, and women who are extremely masculine. For a while I considered that I could be trans, because I am male and felt feminine at times, but this is only because of the huge amount of coverage in the media that trans people have had. (I now completely accept that I'm just a slightly feminine male, nothing wrong with that). I think this is a great thing that transgender people are becoming more visible, but at the same time it can lead to people stressing about their gender, when really transgender people are very rare. So, long story short, you may or may not be transgender, in the meantime, just don't stress out about it, and you will find your answers on your journey through life. Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending