The Student Room Group

When girls compliment other females...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Twinpeaks
Such stereotyping. Such stereotyping.

It's giving me a migraine. This is why I really feel like we as a society would benefit so much from being taught some basic psychological principles in school. Men feel just as much emotion as women, but they are simply encouraged to not be emotional, even punished for it. By saying that, not only are you suggesting that being emotional is negative, and that somehow women are lesser for it, but you are also perpetuating the societal pressures male face to be unemotional. Not good for mental health.

Referring to the other sex as "the emotional woman" is a typical strategy adopted by certain types of individuals in our country, often hierarchists, to maintain power structures. Come over to the dark side hun, emotion is good. It promotes decision making, it is adaptive.

And also, interesting fact, much research shows that males benefit more from the social sharing of emotional experiences, and are even more likely to do it.

I'm not saying women are biologically more emotional, I am saying that they are socially manufactured to be emotional compared to men. that's why they cry, scream etc more than men
Original post by FarageCollage
I'm not saying women are biologically more emotional, I am saying that they are socially manufactured to be emotional compared to men. that's why they cry, scream etc more than men

Oh. Well good. (Y)
Original post by Spock's Socks
He is the exception for the most part though even then I sometimes wonder if he only pays me a compliment because he feels he has to because he is my partner rather than fully means it if that makes sense?

Oh for sure, I've seconded guessed my exes also, especially when they make such obvious lies and over and beyond with it like comparing you to a celeb or something. It's the worst, better off saying nothing.
I believe them, I think most of the time if people don't like something about you they won't say anything. Apart from one woman who said I had crap hair.
i find that when i do get a outside compliment (someone i don't know at all or very well) i raise my guard but then again if you have plucked up enough courage to talk to me than i'll accept it (50% bad quality russian mobster/ 50% bad quality italian mobster)
an inside compliment (friends and family) i'll always accept at face value
Original post by jamesthehustler
i find that when i do get a outside compliment (someone i don't know at all or very well) i raise my guard but then again if you have plucked up enough courage to talk to me than i'll accept it (50% bad quality russian mobster/ 50% bad quality italian mobster)
an inside compliment (friends and family) i'll always accept at face value

what?
Reply 47
Original post by xobeauty
what?

Sounds like a load of French to me
Original post by Virgili
Sounds like a load of French to me

Lawls problems
what?

basically i'm in either in a black leather jacket and jeans or a full suit so i look rather much like i'm either the godfather or niko bellic
I digress, but I wonder how acceptable other girls would find it if a total stranger who was another girl complimented them in public? The other day I saw a beautiful girl sitting eating alone & I just wanted to go up to her after I'd finished eating and tell her ''you're very beautiful'' or something similar. :lovedup2: But I didn't want to embarass the poor girl.
Original post by cosmic angel
I digress, but I wonder how acceptable other girls would find it if a total stranger who was another girl complimented them in public? The other day I saw a beautiful girl sitting eating alone & I just wanted to go up to her after I'd finished eating and tell her ''you're very beautiful'' or something similar. :lovedup2: But I didn't want to embarass the poor girl.

This is exactly the scenario I'm talking about just at a store. Why do you feel the urge to do that?
If the compliment is from a stranger or someone I don't know well I tend to trust them, but when it's a friend I kind of just think they're being nice. But I think we should compliment each other more! I still remember the compliments I've received, especially the ones that cheered me up on a bad day, like a girl complimenting my hair and another saying I had pretty eyes. I admit I don't always trust compliments from guys though...
Original post by Twinpeaks
Sometimes I compliment a girl when I can tell that she has made an effort, even if I don't think they look nice. Does that make me a bitch?

Nope I don't think
You're just being nice
This is exactly the scenario I'm talking about just at a store. Why do you feel the urge to do that?

Don't quite understand. You've said in the op you give compliments too don't you?
This is why I prefer compliments from strangers/acquantices/people I don't know very well, because they would most likely to be telling the truth. Compliments from friends/family always have a sarcastic tone to me for some reason
Original post by count_drac
Yeah I do get it, I suppose it depends on how they say it. And if they are giving weird looks like that. I don't really get compliments from girls my age, it's usually ladies older than me. They seem sincere to me. The only time I've had a weird compliment is in secondary school where it was a direct scene from mean girls. Like she said 'you're pretty' and I replied 'thank you' and her response was 'so you think it too?' Goes without saying I was a bit freaked out.. 😂

That is so freaking petty :toofunny:
I'm the same as you OP. I only give genuine compliments to guys or girls and they still give me dirty looks, not just females. So now I try not to bother.
Reply 58
Original post by Changing Skies
I'm so paranoid sometimes that I don't trust any compliment in case they're being sarcastic or making fun of me :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

SAME!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending