The Student Room Group

Predicted Grades?

Hello,I'm a current y10 GCSE student.I would like to study medicine at a top university(Cambridge) later on.
I have Traget grade for subject in my GCSE ,so for example,for all science my target grades are A*.However are these the same as predicted grades and if not when do you get you predicted grades for GCSEs ?so after your mocks or?
Finally,do university look at gcse predicted grades or just GCSEs,A-level and A-level predicted grades?
Thanks.
Original post by VNN
Hello,I'm a current y10 GCSE student.I would like to study medicine at a top university(Cambridge) later on.
I have Traget grade for subject in my GCSE ,so for example,for all science my target grades are A*.However are these the same as predicted grades and if not when do you get you predicted grades for GCSEs ?so after your mocks or?
Finally,do university look at gcse predicted grades or just GCSEs,A-level and A-level predicted grades?
Thanks.

Teachers will decide on your predicted grades based on the work you have done and how you perform in class and in exams. Targets are worked out from the various IQ type tests you do when you arrive in school and progress through it. They may or may not be the same. They have absolutely no relevance for university applications, if they are only for GCSE. By the time you apply for university, your GCSEs will be a done deal, and in the past. Predictions are of no use, nor would universities ask for them.

Since you will apply to university before you get your A levels, your predicted grades are important for them, and your teachers will supply them to the university using the same methods as above.
Original post by VNN
Thanks.

In my school, we have a "target grade" which is basically generated by a computer. Then we have "predicted grade" which is what the teachers think we are gonna get. Every school does it differently.

Look, you're in Year 10, and it is still very early days. You're predicted grades can change MASSIVELY throughout Year 11. Honestly, I was predicted a C in Biology at the end of Year 10, and I'm now predicted an A*. There are plenty more examples of this in other subjects, where I was doing hopelessly last Year, but now all of my "predictions" are 3 A*s and 8 As!

Universities wouldn't look at predicted grades for GCSEs, because why would they need to? You would already have your actual grades by then lol... However, I do believe they look at A Level predictions.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Teachers will decide on your predicted grades based on the work you have done and how you perform in class and in exams. Targets are worked out from the various IQ type tests you do when you arrive in school and progress through it. They may or may not be the same. They have absolutely no relevance for university applications, if they are only for GCSE. By the time you apply for university, your GCSEs will be a done deal, and in the past. Predictions are of no use, nor would universities ask for them.

Since you will apply to university before you get your A levels, your predicted grades are important for them, and your teachers will supply them to the university using the same methods as above.

Ok and when exactly will your receive your predicted grades.Im not worried but when would you receive them,at the start of y11 or?
Original post by romansholiday
In my school, we have a "target grade" which is basically generated by a computer. Then we have "predicted grade" which is what the teachers think we are gonna get. Every school does it differently.

Look, you're in Year 10, and it is still very early days. You're predicted grades can change MASSIVELY throughout Year 11. Honestly, I was predicted a C in Biology at the end of Year 10, and I'm now predicted an A*. There are plenty more examples of this in other subjects, where I was doing hopelessly last Year, but now all of my "predictions" are 3 A*s and 8 As!

Universities wouldn't look at predicted grades for GCSEs, because why would they need to? You would already have your actual grades by then lol... However, I do believe they look at A Level predictions.

When do you normally receive your predicted grades?
Original post by VNN
Ok and when exactly will your receive your predicted grades.Im not overly worried as I'm supposing my are A or A* but when would you receive them,at the start of y11 or?

Depends on when your school does it. There will be several times when grades are generated, but it's up to the school to decide. (I'm assuming you mean GCSE here.)

For A level, it'll be at some point before you apply to university and they will be put into your application reference.
Original post by VNN
When do you normally receive your predicted grades?

My school updates predicted grades at the end of every term, so pretty frequently for me. I got my last predicted grades before GCSE period 2 weeks ago:s-smilie:

But as I said, it's different for other schools.
Original post by username2485961
Thanks.

My school has realistic predicted grades (what you are currently working at) and asperational grades (what they think you will achieve of you work hard and put in effort) asperational grades can be the same as your realistic grade, but most of the time they are higher.

Does anyone else have this system and if so what do you think of it?

Also I think universities make conditional/ unconditional offers based on your predicted A-level grades, as this is all they have to go on. If you get high than predicted you can do course adjustment, look at clearing places or apply again next academic year. However if you have done AS then I would guess that unis would have a bit more to go on. Unis can use GCSE grades, any AS grades you may have, a personal statement,a reference, and predicted grades. Basically unis will use all the information they have to assess whether you are a suitable candidate. GCSEs as long as they are a pass are often looked at a lot less (as A-levels matter more in this case), I would guess, exsept at competitive universities to decide between top students/ see consistancy.

Edit: sorry, this thread is 5 years old 😂
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest