The Student Room Group

Bragging about chance privileges?

First off, although I loathe to use the term privilege because of the distorted context in which it is often heard this days, I can't think of a better term for what I mean.

So, recently on FaceBook I've seen various people bragging about life situations which they were born into by luck. One which comes to mind particularly is someone stating how lucky they were to be a third culture kid when travelling around Europe; this is something that they have done nothing to earn and are in the situation due to luck at birth.

Now they were greeted with likes and comments of "You're such an awesome girl" etc.

However, if I were to go on FaceBook and state how lucky I felt to be a white guy when travelling around Europe, something that would bring me just as much benefit as being a third culture kid across much of Europe, I'd be metaphorically run out of town, and rightfully so IMO.

So, why is one acceptable and even commended, when the other is seen as incredibly insensitive?
It is kinda like how some people say that a black person cannot be racist.

and anyway being born into luck isnt something you should feel ashamed of. I am proud to be a white upper middle class person
Reply 2
Original post by AperfectBalance

and anyway being born into luck isnt something you should feel ashamed of. I am proud to be a white upper middle class person

I agree, you shouldn't be ashamed of it, but would you comfortably post on FaceBook stating "I'm so lucky to be a white person, (this part of my) life is so much better because of it!"?
I mean I am not going to do it for no reason as I would be branded Racist. but someone a while ago said that they were proud of their black heritage and I said I am also proud of my white heritage.

I can be traced back to a irish king and my great grandfather fought in ww2, he was a high ranking soldier with a sad story.

I am proud of all of this

Pride in something you had no choice over, is completely illogical.

You are only proud to be white and middle class because in this world being white and middle class in beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Espada Zero
Pride in something you had no choice over, is completely illogical.

You are only proud to be white and middle class because in this world being white and middle class in beneficial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is not illogical, i am proud for what my ancestors did. so please stop this ********
It is not illogical, i am proud for what my ancestors did. so please stop this ********

Lol on the defensive already.

Saying you are proud to be white and middle class from birth, is as logically valid as saying you are proud to be disabled and poor from birth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Espada Zero
Lol on the defensive already.

Saying you are proud to be white and middle class from birth, is as logically valid as saying you are proud to be disabled and poor from birth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are black be proud of it, if you are white be proud of it, if you are Asian be proud of it, whoever you are be proud of yourself.
If you are black be proud of it, if you are white be proud of it, if you are Asian be proud of it, whoever you are be proud of yourself.

Why would you be proud of something you had no control over? Be proud of something worthwhile like finishing Halo: Reach on Legendary difficulty solo.

Being "proud" of **** other people have done is merely appraisal that you think is deserving of respect, but that's not exactly the same as pride.

Things I'm not proud of because I had no control over them:
- The colour of my skin.
- The country I live in.
- My parents earnings.
- **** other people have done, however fantastic or arbitrary.

Things I am proud of because I had control over them:
- My own achievements.

Quick Reply