The Student Room Group

Journey to Medical School - Year 11

Scroll to see replies

ah thankyou so much! i really appreciate it:smile:
Original post by zXcodeXz
Hello, how do you revise for maths and history? Also what exam board are you doing for maths?

Edexcel GCSE Maths :smile: I use a website called Hegarty Maths and get some harder A* questions off the IGCSE papers :smile:
For history I do flashcards, mind maps and posters :smile: lots of source questions as well! Gotta love some past papers also!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HouseOfRichman
Edexcel GCSE Maths :smile: I use a website called Hegarty Maths and get some harder A* questions off the IGCSE papers :smile:
For history I do flashcards, mind maps and posters :smile: lots of source questions as well! Gotta love some past papers also!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok thanks! :smile:
It's back to school now and the amount of work I'm getting done seems less and less compared to what I achieved during the holidays! However, the pressure is all on at school and for once in my life I see most of the class, rather than just some people, getting their heads down! The stress is piling on again as teachers parrot "you don't have long left" and I'm trying as hard as I can to prepare myself for these exams 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's back to school now and the amount of work I'm getting done seems less and less compared to what I achieved during the holidays! However, the pressure is all on at school and for once in my life I see most of the class, rather than just some people, getting their heads down! The stress is piling on again as teachers parrot "you don't have long left" and I'm trying as hard as I can to prepare myself for these exams 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much do you work on school days?
Original post by crosbycasey56
How much do you work on school days?

I'm home at 3:30 and work pretty much right through until 8 most days :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm home at 3:30 and work pretty much right through until 8 most days :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you eat while you work in the evening? Eating takes 30 mins off my time, and then I procrastinate for like 1-2 hours. I usually get 2-3 hours of revision after school.
Original post by romansholiday
Do you eat while you work in the evening? Eating takes 30 mins off my time, and then I procrastinate for like 1-2 hours. I usually get 2-3 hours of revision after school.

That's still really good! Some people I know are still only doing 30-60mins after school and nothing at the weekend! I grab a snack for the way home or I eat a snack whilst doing revision and then during my 30 minute break (which means I usually revise from 3:30-6 then 6:30-8:30 not just 8 but for simplicity I just said 3:30-8) I have my dinner and talk to my parents or whoever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's still really good! Some people I know are still only doing 30-60mins after school and nothing at the weekend! I grab a snack for the way home or I eat a snack whilst doing revision and then during my 30 minute break (which means I usually revise from 3:30-6 then 6:30-8:30 not just 8 but for simplicity I just said 3:30-8) I have my dinner and talk to my parents or whoever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is basically my routine also. Sometimes I don't realise how many hours there are after school. There is so much time to do revision but I feel like I'm wasting it by procrastinating!
This is basically my routine also. Sometimes I don't realise how many hours there are after school. There is so much time to do revision but I feel like I'm wasting it by procrastinating!

If it makes you feel better I worked from 4:30 today because I had a guitar lesson? It's good to have that time to procrastinate as a way of a) relaxing and b) prioritising your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My first exam is a week on Tuesday! Last week I did a past paper in English everyday so I'm just waiting for the results from them on Monday. I'm also doing a maths test tomorrow. It may sound kind of weird but I'm really appreciating this extra test time as it helps me work on my exam technique! I also got some results back of random tests/coursework (obviously subject to moderation):
History Paper 2 Mock: A*, A*
English Language coursework portfolio: 47/50
Chemistry coursework: 48/48 - I was SO happy with this!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My first exam is a week on Tuesday! Last week I did a past paper in English everyday so I'm just waiting for the results from them on Monday. I'm also doing a maths test tomorrow. It may sound kind of weird but I'm really appreciating this extra test time as it helps me work on my exam technique! I also got some results back of random tests/coursework (obviously subject to moderation):
History Paper 2 Mock: A*, A*
English Language coursework portfolio: 47/50
Chemistry coursework: 48/48 - I was SO happy with this!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck on your exam! What subject/course is it?:s-smilie:
Best of luck on your exam! What subject/course is it?:s-smilie:

IGCSE Language Reading paper :smile: all in all a good paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there, I see we are both sitting the igcse english exam on the 3rd of May. I'm guessing your best way of improving for this is via past papers, so do you get your teachers to mark them, or do you mark them yourself. Any other tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks ! :u:
Original post by kennethdcharles
Hey there, I see we are both sitting the igcse english exam on the 3rd of May. I'm guessing your best way of improving for this is via past papers, so do you get your teachers to mark them, or do you mark them yourself. Any other tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks ! :u:

It depends how strict of a paper I'm doing. Sometimes I'll practice one of the sections and sometimes I'll do them all but in a walk through meaning I can look up words/phrases. Normally I go and sit in the exam hall after school and sit the exam with my study buddies whilst a teacher invigilator and then marks it for the next day. I think the best form of revision for this exam is building a vocabulary bank to be able to use in the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't believe it's May already... I remember starting year 11 and stressing out about the exams which, for me, start on Tuesday!! Yesterday I went to the library and completed a paper I am doing on Tuesday, as well as some notes on how to do it and all my music flashcards. Today, I have done 5 past papers on various topics and am about to go through and mark them all before having a well deserved break me thinks! I also really recommend the films 'Special Correspondents' on Netflix as its very funny!

Posted from TSR Mobile
In case any of you have noticed that we do the same subjects and/or we're on the same exam board, here's some resources I have made on Get Revising :smile: https://getrevising.co.uk/profile/resources
3 exams on Monday 😁 I've already sat my first, finishing one GCSE, and at the end of next week I will have finished citizenship, Spanish and half of my philosophy and ethics GCSE... I really hope all of my revision has paid off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 exams on Monday 😁 I've already sat my first, finishing one GCSE, and at the end of next week I will have finished citizenship, Spanish and half of my philosophy and ethics GCSE... I really hope all of my revision has paid off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck tomorrow! I'm sure you'll do really well!! :smile:
I am now enjoying the gift of a delightful cold after my exams, which finished on Wednesday. In order to begin preparing for A-Levels, I have been talking to my friends in 6th form about the things they found hardest in year 12 in the subjects I am doing as well as keeping up to date with my reading lists and "head start" revision guides. Hope everyone is enjoying summer and I wish everyone the best of luck with results day (3 days after my birthday!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending