The Student Room Group

Graduates on a 5-year Medicine course

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if you get nhs bursary in undergrad med course if it's your second degree and do they pay tuition fee in year 5
Original post by Anonymous7654321
Does anyone know if you get nhs bursary in undergrad med course if it's your second degree and do they pay tuition fee in year 5

No NHS bursary like 4-year GEM courses, but as far as I'm aware you still won't have to pay tuition fees in 5th year.
Thanks. What about if your degree is 6 yrs?
Original post by Anonymous7654321
Thanks. What about if your degree is 6 yrs?

I think that's unlikely, as graduates can usually bypass the intercalated year, but you'd have funding for years 5 and 6.
Original post by Nautic4l
I'm sure there are many of these threads out there but I'm struggling to find them because TSR noob.

I was just wondering whether universities would still look at my A-Level grades if I apply to the 5-year Medicine course as a graduate. Or would they just look at my A-Level subjects? There's a difference between looking at just the subjects and the grades obviously.

I've done Biology, German, Chemistry to A-Level and French to AS - AABb grades in that order. Many 5-year courses obviously need AAA, so does this mean I have to resit my Chemistry modules?

I've just been offered a place at Durham (5 year) and they don't care about A levels at all - got my 2:1, decent UKCAT, then an interview and now I'm in!
Reply 25
Original post by Medic-Kate
E.g bad a levels - apply somewhere that doesn't consider them
Posted from TSR Mobile

My problem is my A-Levels. AAB with another b in AS. Which unis don't look at this?
Also, I would like to become a HCA but I really don't want to do anything like 'cleaning patients', it's just not a preference for me, I'm sorry if that makes me sound awful, I don't mean that! Is that what it really is like?

Also, have you had part-time jobs/internships during your degree where you worked in a lab as an assistant or anything?

Finally, what was your UKCAT score? And GAMSAT score if you applied to that?

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Medicnohoperno.9
I've just been offered a place at Durham (5 year) and they don't care about A levels at all - got my 2:1, decent UKCAT, then an interview and now I'm in!

Hey, thanks for replying!

Where was your undergrad and in what? Durham/Newcastle is the dream for me. What was your UKCAT and GAMSAT? And what sort of experience if you had?
(edited 8 years ago)
My problem is my A-Levels. AAB with another b in AS. Which unis don't look at this?
Also, I would like to become a HCA but I really don't want to do anything like 'cleaning patients', it's just not a preference for me, I'm sorry if that makes me sound awful, I don't mean that! Is that what it really is like?

Also, have you had part-time jobs/internships during your degree where you worked in a lab as an assistant or anything?

Finally, what was your UKCAT score? And GAMSAT score if you applied to that?

Thanks!

This is where you need to research. Go through ucas and then each uni website as their entry requirements change.
Honestly HCA work I think you should really reconsider - you get to see patients at their most vulnerable and in my opinion, if you're not cut out for caring because it's 'not your thing' how do you know you can cope with medicine? Even if you did it for a few months... It would be great experience to talk about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28

Don't panic. I got worse A levels than you, and I am due to start GEM this autumn and had offers/ interviews from other UG places.

My advice is do you your research, know the entry criteria inside out, if in doubt call up the universities and ask. So many applications are wasted because people don't read/understand the basic entry criteria and get filtered out straight away. Also take the UKCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT seriously, its one of the main determinants of getting an interview.

Good luck! If you put your mind to it, its definitely achievable.
Reply 29
Original post by Ben4757
Don't panic. I got worse A levels than you, and I am due to start GEM this autumn and had offers/ interviews from other UG places.

My advice is do you your research, know the entry criteria inside out, if in doubt call up the universities and ask. So many applications are wasted because people don't read/understand the basic entry criteria and get filtered out straight away. Also take the UKCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT seriously, its one of the main determinants of getting an interview.

Good luck! If you put your mind to it, its definitely achievable.

Hi Ben, great advise !! What did you score on your UKCAT ?? And any prep advise. I have started prep today with the 600 Q book and enrolled for the Kaplan course in June. Plan to give the test sometime july. I'm looking at Sheffield Warwick primarily as I can't move away from home in sheffield as I have a 2yr old. Nottingham is travellable distance, uses GAMSAT, but it's 12 years since I did physics chemistry so it's daunting.. So wondering if it's even worth it for one uni.. Any advise will be great ful.
Thanks a lot..
Original post by ishleen
Hi Ben, great advise !! What did you score on your UKCAT ?? And any prep advise. I have started prep today with the 600 Q book and enrolled for the Kaplan course in June. Plan to give the test sometime july. I'm looking at Sheffield Warwick primarily as I can't move away from home in sheffield as I have a 2yr old. Nottingham is travellable distance, uses GAMSAT, but it's 12 years since I did physics chemistry so it's daunting.. So wondering if it's even worth it for one uni.. Any advise will be great ful.
Thanks a lot..

I know it was directed at Ben but get Medify!!! Have it for a month before your ukcat test date and practise a couple of hours a day, I increased my average score by 70 so it really is worth it 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Medic-Kate
I know it was directed at Ben but get Medify!!! Have it for a month before your ukcat test date and practise a couple of hours a day, I increased my average score by 70 so it really is worth it 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Kate.. I'll do Medify & Kaplan study material by June then.. Is it worth giving the GAMSAT in sep ?? What unis can I apply to that would be some what travellable distance from sheffield. Already have sheffield and Warwick on my list..
Thanks xx

Quick Reply

Latest