The Student Room Group

Is going to a low ranked university worth it?

I'm a Scottish student who applied to do psychology. I got rejected from Stirling and Dundee which were the main universities I wanted to go to. In my highers last year I got BBBC which was a disappointment and I'm predicted AAAB this year. I think I could possibly turn that B into an A, but I'm just being cautious.

I received conditional offers from
Heriot-Watt - AAAA
Abertay - AA
Queen Margaret - 280 UCAS points (Only need a C as this is with results from last year)

I've made my firm as Queen Margaret mainly because I didn't like the Heriot-Watt when I went to visit and I just could not see myself going there. I also wasn't interested in Abertay the more I researched. I currently live in Edinburgh and as things have happened this year I ideally would not like to live here any longer.

I was looking into UCAS adjustment, however since I'm a Scottish student and I want to study psychology I highly doubt that I would be able to get a place anywhere else.

Is it worth going to a university like QMU which isn't ranked highly? I feel like my results will just go to waste. Since Psychology is so competitive, wouldn't people from other universities be looked upon more highly? I'm planning to take part in many opportunities regardless of where I go.

I've been thinking of taking a gap year if I get the results I'm predicted, however my family have been planning to move to England when I go to university and I'm not sure on how this works out with student finance or if this is a waste of time. I'm not sure if I should just go to QMU no matter what results I get.

If anyone has any advice or experience on any of these issues then that would be highly appreciated haha :smile:
Whatever the plan, go through adjustment when you get your results. There's almost always psychology places at good Unis on results day. I don't know much about QMU though. But i always recommend aiming as high as possible. If you feel like it's below your grades then don't go there. Attending the wrong uni is an expensive mistake
(edited 8 years ago)
Today a lot less focus is put on the rankings but more classification and your standard of work come the end of your degree. You need to find the University that will best develop you academically and socially rather than ranking. Your dream course could be at a university that is 'mid table' but you might enjoy it more than a top 3 uni - it all depends on you!
Reply 3
It depends on what you want to do in the future really. The initial thing to do with a psychology degree is to check whether or not it is accredited by the BPS - I have just had a look and it is so this means that it would, I believe, make you eligible for membership should you wish to pursue a career in the field. It is also worth noting that if you do very well in your course and avail yourself of any relevant opportunities you have to gain useful experience you should be well placed to make competitive post-graduate applications to pretty much any universities.

Now, I am admittedly not an expert with regards to psychology careers so will find and quote somebody in who is likely to know far more than I do and can correct me if I am wrong (and hopefully elaborate).
Reply 4
*Interrobang*

See above.
Original post by Balor
See above.

I don't really have anything more to add than what you said in your last post :smile:

You should always be happy with your choice - as you're going to have to be there for 3/4 years in the end, and you're not likely to do as well if you aren't happy
You don't need to pay in Scotland so go for it x
Original post by Larissa14
You don't need to pay in Scotland so go for it x

Yeah, I would much rather be happier with my university choice than have to drop out or go through the process of applying to another university.

Paying back really doesn't bother me because you still have to pay for your student loans in Scotland obviously, and even if I apply from England next year then once you graduate you are only paying back a small amount each year depending on how much you earn.
Original post by ashleymacleod
Yeah, I would much rather be happier with my university choice than have to drop out or go through the process of applying to another university.

Paying back really doesn't bother me because you still have to pay for your student loans in Scotland obviously, and even if I apply from England next year then once you graduate you are only paying back a small amount each year depending on how much you earn.

Do you have any plans if you don't go to uni?bif you don't maybe you should go.
Qmu has cheaper accommodation that most other uni, though not by much.
Abertay and qmu are similar in ranking but you shouldn't go for rankings as they are kinda just a guide.

Your conditions seem really high though?
Original post by Larissa14
Do you have any plans if you don't go to uni?bif you don't maybe you should go.
Qmu has cheaper accommodation that most other uni, though not by much.
Abertay and qmu are similar in ranking but you shouldn't go for rankings as they are kinda just a guide.

Your conditions seem really high though?

I don't really have any plans other than university, I've been planning on going for years.

I do really like the small and supportive feel of QMU and yeah the accommodation is pretty cheap which is nice. They don't really have a lot of societies and the union doesn't seem the greatest when that's one thing I wanted to get out of my university experience.

I only need a C to get into QMU which I will easily get. The conditions for psychology are pretty high because I don't meet the first sitting of higher conditions which are usually ABBB. Psychology in general in Scotland has pretty high entry requirements with most of the second sittings being AABB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending