The Student Room Group

Tips for an American girl attending a British university?

Scroll to see replies

It's football, not soccer.
Original post by madyabby
Pardon? Not sure if your question is relevant, but yes, there are sororities here in America. Sorority life in the south tends to be different from sorority life in the east and west.

no i think he means that the uk doesn't have frat and sororities we just have clubs like the bullingdon for the extremely rich
you might get invited for a cheeky nandos now and then.
I am still waiting to hear back from St. Andrews and Durham, but I've got offers from UCL, Bristol, and Edinburgh. I won't pick Bristol and probably not St. Andrews. It's between the other three. I eventually want to do a masters at Oxford.

St Andrews is really good uni, I wouldn't chuck it of the list just yet. It's s bit secluded but still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't describe anything as 'lush' to your friends or acquaintances. The only thing 'lush' is the brand over 'ere. :colonhash:
Honestly just watch a few episodes of the Geordie Shore, its an excellent representation of what Britain is like
Reply 26
Original post by AmazingArry
St Andrews is really good uni, I wouldn't chuck it of the list just yet. It's s bit secluded but still.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently something like 10% of alumni are married to other alumni, which is crazy.
Reply 27
Original post by Daniel9998
Honestly just watch a few episodes of the Geordie Shore, its an excellent representation of what Britain is like

If the show is anything like Jersey Shore, there's no way I'm watching.

Nah nothing like the Jersey Shore dont worry
Apparently something like 10% of alumni are married to other alumni, which is crazy.

Well then I guess you have a higher chance of falling in love with someone there then... not a reason not to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by AmazingArry
Well then I guess you have a higher chance of falling in love with someone there then... not a reason not to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I know, it was just a funny fact I saw the other day. I like St. Andrews academically, other than their lack of research and fieldwork for my program, but the location puts me off.
Haha, I know, it was just a funny fact I saw the other day. I like St. Andrews academically, other than their lack of research and fieldwork for my program, but the location puts me off.

Fair enough. Just pick the program that you ate more enthusiastic about learning. I know people who would see as the seclusion as no distractions, and the lack of research as less lab reports to write.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Don't describe anything as 'lush' to your friends or acquaintances. The only thing 'lush' is the brand over 'ere. :colonhash:

Unless you're in wales :P
Reply 33

It's worse.
I assume UK unis are a lot smaller compared to American unis/colleges.
Durham, UCL and Exeter are all good unis. I can give you general advice, but I don't thunk there's much I'd tell you different because you're American. Just be aware that if you live in London everything is a lot more expensive (I didn't even consider London universities because I knew I couldn't afford it)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending